Living in sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in sin

clearly it is wrong for unmarried people to live together. my question is, what about divorced people? we know if you divorce and re-marry, it is adultery. if two divorced people live together is their sin any greater than if divorced people re-marry? honestly, i don't see a difference. but i know in my church at least, i would have a minority opinion.

my question was inspired by the fine thread authored by Clavicula_Nox. i did not want to hi-jack that thread.

Originally posted by Steve509 View Post
    clearly it is wrong for unmarried people to live together. my question is, what about divorced people? we know if you divorce and re-marry, it is adultery. if two divorced people live together is their sin any greater than if divorced people re-marry? honestly, i don't see a difference. but i know in my church at least, i would have a minority opinion.

my question was inspired by the fine thread authored by Clavicula_Nox. i did not want to hi-jack that thread.
    Are you looking for a reason to live in sin with a women who is not your wife? That's what it boils down to, she is not your wife and you are in sin.

Now all sin is the same but the consequences of you living in sin and knowingly continuing in sin, cannot be avoid in due time. Every sin has a consequence
    Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
      Are you looking for a reason to live in sin with a women who is not your wife? That's what it boils down to, she is not your wife and you are in sin.

Now all sin is the same but the consequences of you living in sin and knowingly continuing in sin, cannot be avoid in due time. Every sin has a consequence
      no, that is not the reason.

perhaps a better way to phrase my question would be to ask, what is the difference between two divorced people living together as opposed to them getting married? are not both relationships adulterous?

if you are divorced, you must remain celebate to escape the sin of adultery, right?

Comment

we know if you divorce and re-marry, it is adultery.
        It is?

Comment

perhaps a better way to phrase my question would be to ask, what is the difference between two divorced people living together as opposed to them getting married? are not both relationships adulterous?

if you are divorced, you must remain celebate to escape the sin of adultery, right?
          Depends where you stand on the divorce issue. The only stipulation for divorce is adultary by the spouse. So getting remarried is permissable and would not be considered a sin
          Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

I guess that is my issue Steve when I wrote what I did.
            where in the Bible does it say remarriage is ok? We're not talking about how people feel, what does Scripture say? Divorce isn't even advocated in the Greek for women and the passage in Cor 7
            10And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
            11But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.
            15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

and in Matthew-5
            31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
            32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

I don't see it any different to live in sin married or not. I think so many people are divorced and remarried this is one topic they think God will just bypass (I know I had to make the decision at one time...I went back to my husband.)

Comment

Good points - be careful the thread doesn't get derailed on to an "Is remarriage OK?" thread - although we've not had one of them for a while!

Basically I agree with you - two divorced people living in sin is just that - SIN! I don't believe the pastoral solution is for them to marry - that simply gives the impression that waht they are doing is OK! They should break off the relationship and seek, by God's grace, to be celibate - until their original spouses die. Even then, they would need to seek the Lord's will whether it was right for them to marry one another.

Comment

Yes - although you will find that that's the minority view on this Forum (sadly) - and in Protestant churches in general......

Comment

I thought only Catholics didn't allow divorce. Am I mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post
                    I thought only Catholics didn't allow divorce. Am I mistaken?
                    Certain evangelicals don't allow it either - but most Protestants will allow it for adultery or desertion. Remarriage is forbidden unless one was divorced for one of the said grounds, but the position of some evangelicals (myself included) is that remarriage is never permitted unless the original spouse has died.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                      Certain evangelicals don't allow it either - but most Protestants will allow it for adultery or desertion. Remarriage is forbidden unless one was divorced for one of the said grounds, but the position of some evangelicals (myself included) is that remarriage is never permitted unless the original spouse has died.
                      Heh. That's pretty hardcore.

Judaism does allow divorce and remarriage.

Comment

IMO, one would have to go back to the reason for the divorce. God is a God of reconciliation and he wants folks to reconcile. Barring possible reconciliation, we also know that scripture says it's better to marry than to burn.
                        Matt 9:13
                        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                        NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                          IMO, one would have to go back to the reason for the divorce. God is a God of reconciliation and he wants folks to reconcile. Barring possible reconciliation, we also know that scripture says it's better to marry than to burn.
                          Nothing said about remarrying instead of burning though! You only get one shot until your first spouse dies!

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                            Nothing said about remarrying instead of burning though! You only get one shot until your first spouse dies!
                            Remarry is redundant and would apply to the original spouse. But you can't remarry a new spouse. That's called marriage, not remarriage.

Scripture still teaches that it is better to marry than to burn.
                            Matt 9:13
                            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                            NASU

Comment

Working...
                            X