This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well can you explain the Trinity?

the general confussion in regards to the Trinity is a tool used by the J. witness' & the lds when trying to convert others. they will ask, "does your church believe in the Trinity?" when you answer "yes," they will ask you to explain it. if you cannot, or have trouble doing so, they will say, "that is because the doctrine of the Trinity is false". and they will provides verses to support that. make no mistake, they are very good at what they do.

it is so much easier to understand three separate beings than 3 as part of one.

I feel compelled to answer this, I don't know why

This is the best explaination I've found and it's all contained in one biblical verse.

The Trinity

Ephesians 1:3-14 can be seen as one sentence in which the 3-fold purpose of God is seen in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    In 3-6 is the Father's plan, 7-12 is Jesus' accomplishments and 13-14 is the Spirit's application.

3-6
    The Father's selection and Predestination, Speaking forth God's Eternal Purpose

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
    4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
    5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved;

7-12
    The Son's Redemption, Speaking Forth the Accomplishment of God's Eternal Purpose

7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
    8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence,
    9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Himself,
    10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him.
    11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,
    12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory;

13-14
    The Spirit's Sealing and Pledging, Speaking forth the application of God's Accomplished Purpose

13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
    (The Spirit applies ownership)
    14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve509 View Post
      the general confussion in regards to the Trinity is a tool used by the J. witness & the lds when trying to convert others. they will ask, "does your church believe in the Trinity?" when you answer yes, they will ask you to explain in. if you cannot or have trouble doing so, they will say that is because the doctrine of the Trinity is false. and they will provides verses to support that. make no mistake, they are very good at what they do.

The Trinity consists of
      the Father,
      the Son,
      the Holy Spiriit.
      They are one.

As a person,
      I am a father (to my children),
      I am also a son to my father,
      I am a husband to my wife.
      Nevertheless I am only one.

Likewise H2O is
      a solid when frozen
      a liquid when melted,
      a vapor when heated,
      Yet it remains one substance.

An egg has
      A shell
      A yoke
      A egg white
      Yet it is one egg

That's the best way for me to illustrate the Trinity
      Last edited by alethos; Jun 20th 2008, 11:06 PM.
      If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

Comment

I recently made this post on the subject. Actually, the whole thread has some very good replies by others. Check it out!

God Bless!
        Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

I like the explanation with the three relationships to other people, yet you are one person and the explanation with water being solid, liquid, gas, yet one unalterable substance.

I've used those explanations before with children.

To think about this a little further.....why do we HAVE to explain it? I know that we are to study to show ourselves approved according to 2 Timothy 2:15 and that we should be able to discuss biblical and spiritual matters on a more and more mature basis as we grow in Christ.

But here's my answer.

I can't explain to the satisfaction of people like JW's and such. I can't explain it to unbelievers and give them an answer that they want to hear.

I can't even completely wrap my entire brain around it myself. But what's important is that I believe it. I believe there is a Holy Father God and that His Son, Jesus died for me and God turned His back on His Son while on the cross, yet they are one in the same.

And I believe that God's Holy Spirit is one with Him, too. Any attempt on my part to dissect all of that and explain it is moot to my believing it.

But this is a good question to discuss anyway.....
          sigpic
          ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Explain the Trinity? How can anyone explain the complex nature of God?
            I suggest:-

Water, Steam and Ice are all H2O - all the same but different functions.

the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all God - all the same with different functions.

Comment

Here's a clip of Ravi Zacharias on the Trinity during a Q&A at Penn State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdejhQeAPUk
              As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

1 John 5:7 (Whole Chapter)
                For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Comment

Originally posted by phaeton426 View Post
                  1 John 5:7 (Whole Chapter)
                  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
                  AMEN,

i am having a hard time finding the word trinity in scripture, could somone post the verse or verses that mention it.

Comment

I'm having a hard time believing that when a 3 wheel bike was talked about that anyone would believe that it wasn't a tricycle being refered to.

trin·i·ty (trn-t) n. pl. trin·i·ties 1. A group consisting of three closely related members. Also called triunity.
                    2. Trinity Theology In most Christian faiths, the union of three divine persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one God. Also called Trine.
                    3. Trinity Trinity Sunday.

[Middle English trinite, from Old French, from Latin trnits, from trnus, trine; see trine.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
                    trinity
                    Noun
                    pl -ties a group of three people or things [Latin trinus triple]
                    Trinity
                    Noun
                    Christianity the union of three persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one God
                    Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
                    Trinity any combination or set of three persons; three things united into one, 1542.
                    Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
                    ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
                    Noun1.trinity - the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one and one 3, deuce-ace, III, tercet, ternary, ternion, terzetto, three, threesome, trey, triad, trine, trio, triplet, troika, tierce, leash
                    digit, figure - one of the elements that collectively form a system of numeration; "0 and 1 are digits"
                    2.Trinity - the union of the Father and Son and Holy Ghost in one Godhead Blessed Trinity, Holy Trinity, Sacred Trinity
                    Almighty, Creator, Divine, God Almighty, Godhead, Lord, Maker, Jehovah - terms referring to the Judeo-Christian God

hypostasis of Christ, hypostasis - any of the three persons of the Godhead constituting the Trinity especially the person of Christ in which divine and human natures are united
                    3.trinity - three people considered as a unit threesome, triad, trio
                    assemblage, gathering - a group of persons together in one place

triumvirate - a group of three men responsible for public administration or civil authority

Comment

Originally posted by fewarechosen View Post
                      AMEN,

i am having a hard time finding the word trinity in scripture, could somone post the verse or verses that mention it.
                      The word, trinity, is not found in the bible....but the biblical concept and the biblical doctrine of the man-made term is in the bible.

peace-
                      jayne
                      sigpic
                      ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve509 View Post
                        the general confussion in regards to the Trinity is a tool used by the J. witness' & the lds when trying to convert others. they will ask, "does your church believe in the Trinity?" when you answer "yes," they will ask you to explain it. if you cannot, or have trouble doing so, they will say, "that is because the doctrine of the Trinity is false". and they will provides verses to support that. make no mistake, they are very good at what they do.

I will always point a JW or LDS to the first verse of the bible. "In the beginning GOD" (Elohim)

Elohim is a plural word, and is always used with a singular verb. It could rightly say, "In the beginning GODS ....."

This word is used over 2500 times in the Old Testament.

Adrian Rogers once said, "Try to explain the trinity and you'll lose your mind; deny it and you'll lose your soul."

Comment

I've stolen my explanations from Ravi Zacharias and C.S. Lewis... Adding my own bit of insight, of course. C.S. Lewis explained the concept of the trinity quite well in Mere Christianity. Ravi Zacharias explaining his own view, of course, in the video linked above.

Comment

so then if its not in scripture i say let the man who coined it define it.

why would someone want to make terms up that arent in the bible --- now dont freak out and say im denying the trinity or some nonsense -- im not at all

but what happens when you start making words up that arent in scripture -- you start to delve into the territory of man made doctrine.

its like just leave it as the bible explains it --then talk about it as scripture lays it out --dont start coining words.

all the words in scripture are laid out for a reason
                            if god wanted to use the term trinity dont you think he would have ?

i see all kinds of people get worked up here saying --YOUR DENYING THE TRINITY.

and i think wow simmer down its a man made word

now if you want to talk about the three being one and what it means that there are three that are one -- hey im all for it. that is what cant be denied

but at the end of the day , any way you want to slice it
                            trinity is a man made word, never spoken of in scripture. so someone could deny the term trinity all they wanted and be in the right, its a man made word not scripture at all.

but let me remind you im not doing that

and yes i think that of all man made words also ,like godhead and so on

waits to be punished lol
                            Last edited by fewarechosen; Jun 21st 2008, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Trinity is a 'word' which corresponds to a biblical truth. Same with the word Godhead, or the words, 'personal relationship with Jesus'. I don't see how you can take issue with the word Trinity because it's 'man-made', when all it's doing is describing a biblical doctrine.

Comment

Working...
                              X