Speaking in Tongues: Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking in Tongues: Baptism in the Holy Spirit

I hope this is the right area to discuss this. This weekend, my wife and I attended a small gathering of couples from our church in a family ministry group for dinner, fellowship and prayer. During prayer time, there is no doubt in my mind, that the Holy Spirit softly descended upon us in a loving quiet manner...all I can say is that the Holy Spirit's presence was thick. Many of the people there were praying intimately and quietly in tongues. A church brother of mine was baptized in the Holy Spirit and brought forth his prayer language. The opportunity for others to be baptized in the Holy Spirit was offered but not pushed. Being recently saved in the last year, I felt like God was telling me to learn more of His Word before stepping out in faith and asking him for a gift of the Holy Spirit, the ability to speak in tongues. I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts about these gifts, and understand that many people do not believe in them as well, which is just fine with me too. Any light you can shed on gifts of the Holy Spirit would be welcomed.
    The Lord is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will exalt Him.
    Amen

Hi there i just want to invite you to listen to this sermon called " Ten shekels and a shirt" by Paris Reidhead who is now gone to glory.

I think it addresses your questions

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...ID=10180222445

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh Clay View Post
      I hope this is the right area to discuss this. This weekend, my wife and I attended a small gathering of couples from our church in a family ministry group for dinner, fellowship and prayer. During prayer time, there is no doubt in my mind, that the Holy Spirit softly descended upon us in a loving quiet manner...all I can say is that the Holy Spirit's presence was thick. Many of the people there were praying intimately and quietly in tongues. A church brother of mine was baptized in the Holy Spirit and brought forth his prayer language. The opportunity for others to be baptized in the Holy Spirit was offered but not pushed. Being recently saved in the last year, I felt like God was telling me to learn more of His Word before stepping out in faith and asking him for a gift of the Holy Spirit, the ability to speak in tongues. I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts about these gifts, and understand that many people do not believe in them as well, which is just fine with me too. Any light you can shed on gifts of the Holy Spirit would be welcomed.
      In the New Testament, The baptism of the Holy Spirit as evidenced by speaking in tongues came with, or very shortly after Salvation. I am not saying that you do not have the Holy Spirit if you do not speak in tongues. Every believer is sealed and indwelt by the Holy Spirit at Salvation. However, this indwelling is not the same as the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit." The Baptism in the Holy Spirit brings about power into the life of the believer. It brings about super natural ability to understand the word of God. In short, you do not need to be mature in Christ to receive the baptism of the Spirit. You need the baptism of the Spirit to be mature in Christ. Let Him help you and empower you. That is part of His ministry.

Comment

I am a believer who does not speak in tongues. I was "instructed"
        in how to speak in tongues at one church and I had to keep myself
        from laughing. How can a spritual gift be taught???? Just my opinion.
        Also at this same church I often found the on cue direction of
        the pastor to "speak your heavenly language" to the congregation
        to be VERY isruptive. It was a bunch of babbling mumbo jumbo with one
        person trying to out do the next at THIS particular church.

I feel I have other gifts instead: writing, empowering women and
        giving sound advice. I am fine if I never speak in tongues however I
        am not opposed to it. I just don't think it's my "thing" and I really
        dislike it when others look down on those of us who don't speak in
        tongues or judge that we aren't "truly" saved because we lack
        this ability.

1 Corinthians 12:28
        28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.
        My memory is nearly gone;
        but I remember two things;
        That I am a great sinner, and
        that Christ is a great Saviour.
        John Newton (1725-1807)
        English minister and hymn writer

Comment

Originally posted by sunsetssplendor View Post
          I am a believer who does not speak in tongues. I was "instructed"
          in how to speak in tongues at one church and I had to keep myself
          from laughing. How can a spritual gift be taught???? Just my opinion.
          Also at this same church I often found the on cue direction of
          the pastor to "speak your heavenly language" to the congregation
          to be VERY isruptive. It was a bunch of babbling mumbo jumbo with one
          person trying to out do the next at THIS particular church.

I feel I have other gifts instead: writing, empowering women and
          giving sound advice. I am fine if I never speak in tongues however I
          am not opposed to it. I just don't think it's my "thing" and I really
          dislike it when others look down on those of us who don't speak in
          tongues or judge that we aren't "truly" saved because we lack
          this ability.

1 Corinthians 12:28
          28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.
          AMEN SISTER! I have felt the same pressue to 'perform' having grown up with a Pentecostal mother. We do not get the Holy Spirit in 'stages'...we get all of Him at the moment of salvation. The question is....does He have all of us?

Comment

A 'wise' man once told me that God moves when He moves. What do you do for the person who doesn't speak in tongues but has the gift of healing and does heal? I don't understand the focus on tongues...

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
              A 'wise' man once told me that God moves when He moves. What do you do for the person who doesn't speak in tongues but has the gift of healing and does heal? I don't understand the focus on tongues...
              You talking about a buddy of mine ? He heals but has not yet spoke in tongues.

Some get this gift and some don't, this I've learned over the last few years and especially from the church I attend. Many Gifts are divvied up amongst the members and if all had tongues then what about the other 8 Gifts?
              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh Clay View Post
                i think it is allowed here.
                Last edited by coffee cup; Jun 27th 2008, 05:44 AM. Reason: decided differently on what to say

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post

Some get this gift and some don't, this I've learned over the last few years and especially from the church I attend. Many Gifts are divvied up amongst the members and if all had tongues then what about the other 8 Gifts?
                  is this a pentecostal church ?

Comment

Originally posted by coffee cup View Post
                    is this a pentecostal church ?
                    Yep, I was about 40 years old when I began to attend this church and I can't believe that all the other churches I belonged to in the past have been restricting the Holy Spirit and in some cases not even believing in what He can do.

It's sad they still do and will never experience a fuller relationship with God.
                    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

If someone has the Holy Spirit they have the potential to speak in tongues, just like someone with the Holy Spirit in them has the potential to heal or to evangelise. Whether you make use of your potential is a different matter, you'll never have the gift of healing if you don't ever try to heal someone, whether the potential is there or not. You can do ALL things through the Holy Spirit, but that does not necessarily mean you will do all things through the Holy Spirit. God might give you many gifts, but if you never unwrap the present, how are you ever going to make use of it.

So once you've recieved the Holy Spirit, don't hesitate to try things.

This is shown in the parable of the talents in Matthew chp 5. Those that put their gifts to good use are given more. Whereas those who do not use their gifts, have them taken away. I am guilty of "not trying" myself- I can pray in tongues, but I've never tried to heal someone; so how do I know whether God has given me the gift of healing or not?

Once you have asked for the Holy Spirit to live in you, have faith that God answered with a big hearty YES! He's already offered it to you, he's not going to change his mind. All that's left is for you reply with a yes yourself.

God Bless
                      He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

This will sound skeptical but I'm not, nor have I ever heard anyone speak it.

I'm a bit confused about this though. The way I understand "tongues" is that it crosses ALL language barriers, that the person speaking it can be understood by ANYone regardless of the language they each individually speak/know.

So, if that IS the case, why is it possible for, say a church group, to actually hear these strange(tongues)words uttered ? -It seems the only person that would hear the "tongues" would be the one speaking it and the rest would only hear what the speaker was saying as if it where their own normal language.

"Let no man deceive you"

I also am "man" - this includes myself !

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post

The gifts are numbered?

I hope we aren't saying there that the Lords gifts can be counted and inventoried? Doesn't the Lord determine the number of gifts and who recieves them?

Here is some scripture...

1 Corinthians 14

1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
                          3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
                          4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

I would suggest reading the whole chapter as it all pertains but let's start with this.

Comment

hey bill i dont think it does -- i thought that in scripture it says someone needs to interpret it.

i also thought somewhere it talked about it being the language of angels.

i think it was a seperate event in which peter spoke to everyone and everyone understood in their own language.

and i have never heard someone speak in tongues, but do fully believe in it.

its liek someone can just bable and say they are speaking in toungues-- thats why its so overly prominent cause you can fake it.

very hard to fake making a person with a maimed hand heal before your eyes

Comment

Originally posted by phaeton426 View Post
                              The gifts are numbered?

I hope we aren't saying there that the Lords gifts can be counted and inventoried? Doesn't the Lord determine the number of gifts and who recieves them?

Here is some scripture...

1 Corinthians 14

1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
                              3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
                              4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

I would suggest reading the whole chapter as it all pertains but let's start with this.
                              1 Cor 12:7-11; count them... there are 9 total manifistations, tongues being 1 and the topic of this thread... leaving 8 more.

All of which are divvied up within the Body of Christ so if ALL in a church have only tongues, then something is wrong.
                              Slug1--out

Comment

Working...
                              X