Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which scripture was Jesus referencing in John 7:38?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which scripture was Jesus referencing in John 7:38?

Here is the verse in context:

37In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
    38He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
    39(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) - John 7:37-39

I can't find any Old Testament scripture that has those exact words or anything really close to it. He was equating "rivers of living water" with the Holy Spirit. So, do you think Jesus just paraphrasing here or is He referring to some book that was considered scripture at the time but isn't in our Bibles today, such as how Jude 1:14 references 1 Enoch 1:9?

Here are a few verses that He may have had in mind:

3For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring: - Isaiah 44:3

1Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. - Isaiah 55:1

11And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not. - Isaiah 58:11

8And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be. - Zechariah 14:8

I tend to think He is paraphrasing but wondered what everyone else thought.

Maybe this is what He was referring to:

For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water. -Jeremiah 2:13

O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters.
    -Jeremiah 17:13

Comment

Personally, I think it is Zechariah 14:8, especially since it's the only one that uses 'living' waters.

In Zechariah, it was using the material language of literal water flowing out of a literal city
      But Jesus uses it to describe the Holy Spirit flowing out of the Spiritual Jerusalem
      The Matthew Never Knew
      The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by matthew94 View Post
        Personally, I think it is Zechariah 14:8, especially since it's the only one that uses 'living' waters.

In Zechariah, it was using the material language of literal water flowing out of a literal city
        But Jesus uses it to describe the Holy Spirit flowing out of the Spiritual Jerusalem
        I tend to agree. Zechariah 14:8 does seem to be the closest to being the scripture that He may have been alluding to in that verse.

Comment

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, ...........out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

I tend to think that Jesus was refering to the "He that believeth on me" as the scripture hath said.

Not:

38 As the scripture hath said, 'he that believeth on me, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water'

Comment

Originally posted by John146 View Post

37In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
            38He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
            39(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) - John 7:37-39

I can't find any Old Testament scripture that has those exact words or anything really close to it. He was equating "rivers of living water" with the Holy Spirit. So, do you think Jesus just paraphrasing here or is He referring to some book that was considered scripture at the time but isn't in our Bibles today, such as how Jude 1:14 references 1 Enoch 1:9?

3For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring: - Isaiah 44:3

1Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. - Isaiah 55:1

8And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be. - Zechariah 14:8

I believe those Isaiah verses would apply, as well as Isaiah 12:3 which says, "You will draw water with gladness from the wells of salvation". Especially in application to what Jesus is referring by the feast (John 7:37).

The "last day, that great day of the feast" is likely the seventh or eighth day of the feast of Tabernacles. Ceremonies include a procession from the pool of Siloam, carrying water and pouring it as a libation at the temple. This commemorates the water flowing from the rock which Moses struck in the wilderness and provides the context for the Lord's words, "if anyone thirsts".
            My translation says "out of his heart" not "belly".

Comment

Jesus was not quoting directly from Scriptures, however He was referring to the feast of the Tabernacles. At the Feast of Tabernacles, water was poured out daily at the altar to remind everyone of the water God miraculously provided for a thirsty Israel in the wilderness. Jesus boldly calls people to Himself, claiming that He can satisfy the inner thirst in man. Jesus boldly calls people to Himself, claiming that He can satisfy the inner thirst in man. God bless and let the Holy Spirit work in you.

Comment

Originally posted by davidandme View Post
                Jesus was not quoting directly from Scriptures,

Then how come he said "as the scriptures sayeth"?

Comment

The scriptures does talk about the feast of the Tabernacles. I believe in Lev 23 and probably other places. Remember all these feasts pointed to Jesus. God bless.

Comment

This commentary gives likely possibilities:

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1314

There seems to be no universal agreement as to which Scripture is referred to.
                    Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
                      Then how come he said "as the scriptures sayeth"?
                      I learned to identify the difference between, that which is spoken, and, that which is written. Notice it doesn't say, "that which is written in scripture".

This goes along with the way they were to handle the scriptures (Nehemiah). Read them, and teach them (orally). There is always the oral tradition with the written tradition.

Comment

Since water is being used as a picture of the spirit, perhaps we could find a passage that speaks of the spirit coming out of the belly, or fountain, etc.

Comment

Re: Which scripture was Jesus referencing in John 7:38?

Originally posted by John146 View Post

11And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not. - Isaiah 58:11

Hello, GodsGlamGirl here.... I've been reading through this thread and I don't know whether or not your question has been answered....especially since it was about 4 years ago when you posted...and I've just joined today.

However...

Perhaps the reason that there isn't a universal agreement as to what scripture Jesus is referring to...is simply that everyone is reading the sentence incorrectly.

Here's the sentence/scripture:
                          vs 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

The double comma implies a side note... "as the scripture hath said" is the side note... and it actually points to what is said before the first comma rather than what is said after the second comma.

Jesus was not saying " as the scripture hath said out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water"
                          Jesus was saying "as the scripture hath said he that believeth in me"

In other words Jesus is saying: He that believes I am the Christ... He that believes I am the Messiah as said in the scripture ....then out of "that man's" (his) belly shall flow rivers of living water.

So the scripture that Jesus was referring to is Isaiah 61:1-2...the actual scripture that Jesus read from the scroll in the Temple when he came out of the wilderness and announced himself as the Messiah by reading what the prophet Isaiah had written. Now, that's the scripture Jesus was referring to because that was the scope of his statement.

However,

The scripture that you're looking for which references "the rivers of living waters" and "from whom it shall flow" is actually found in the verse immediately following what Jesus said...John7:39

First lets look at how this all started....

John 7:37-39 opens up at the last day of The Feast of The Tabernacle...
                          The seventh, and last day of the feast, was The Great Day of Hosanan (Hosanna) which looked forward to the coming of The Messiah. This day also concluded the pouring of the water which symbolized the falling of rain.

So Jesus was telling the crowd that Any man who believed he was The Messiah that the scriptures spoke of in Isaiah 61:1-2, then that man will have rivers of living water flowing from his heart.

John 7:39 tells us that the rivers of living water Jesus was referring to was the the Holy Spirit flowing from the hearts of whoever (us) believes in him......
                          39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

This is why we find in vs 40 and 41 the people were saying "Truly this must be the prophet." and Others were saying "This must be The Christ"...they understood the parable...they knew what Jesus was saying.

Comment

Hello, GodsGlamGirl here.... I've been reading through this thread and I don't know whether or not your question has been answered....especially since it was about 4 years ago when you posted...and I've just joined today.

However...

Perhaps the reason that there isn't a universal agreement as to what scripture Jesus is referring to...is simply that everyone is reading the sentence incorrectly.

vs 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

The double comma implies a side note... "as the scripture hath said" is the side note... and it actually points to what is said before the first comma rather than what is said after the second comma.

Jesus was not saying " as the scripture hath said out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water"

In other words Jesus is saying: He that believes I am the Christ... He that believes I am the Messiah as said in the scripture ....then out of "that man's" (his) belly shall flow rivers of living water.

So the scripture that Jesus was referring to is Isaiah 61:1-2...the actual scripture that Jesus read from the scroll in the Temple when he came out of the wilderness and announced himself as the Messiah by reading what the prophet Isaiah had written. Now, that's the scripture Jesus was referring to because that was the scope of his statement.

However,

The scripture that you're looking for which references "the rivers of living waters" and "from whom it shall flow" is actually found in the verse immediately following what Jesus said...John7:39

The seventh, and last day of the feast, was The Great Day of Hosanan (Hosanna) which looked forward to the coming of The Messiah. This day also concluded the pouring of the water which symbolized the falling of rain.

So Jesus was telling the crowd that Any man who believed he was The Messiah that the scriptures spoke of in Isaiah 61:1-2, then that man will have rivers of living water flowing from his heart.

John 7:39 tells us that the rivers of living water Jesus was referring to was the the Holy Spirit flowing from the hearts of whoever (us) believes in him......
                            39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

This is why we find in vs 40 and 41 the people were saying "Truly this must be the prophet." and Others were saying "This must be The Christ"...they understood the parable...they knew what Jesus was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by godsglamgirl View Post
                              First of all, welcome to the forum. Second of all...wow...you're responding to my post from almost 4 years ago? Okay, sure. Why not?

However...

Hmmm. I don't think I agree with this. For that to be the case wouldn't Isaiah 61:1-2 need to say "He who believes in me" somewhere? I'm not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that He was referring to that passage. Also, your point about the commas is based on how it was translated in that version in English. It was not originally written in English, it was written in Greek. So, it's questionable as to whether those commas are positioned accurately in that version or not. So, I don't think I agree with your reasoning there, either. I'm still convinced that the part referring to rivers of living water is what He was alluding to as being from scripture.

However,

I appreciate your response but it's not really making sense to me at this point. But I'll think about it some more to see if I can make sense of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X