Pagan Christianity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Pagan Christianity?

A book that details the practices of modern Christianity and their roots in pagan practices. Things like dressing up to go to church, pews, sermons every week, steeples, etc. What do you think about most of the practices that we participate in on a weekly basis being pagan in origin?

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
    A book that details the practices of modern Christianity and their roots in pagan practices. Things like dressing up to go to church, pews, sermons every week, steeples, etc. What do you think about most of the practices that we participate in on a weekly basis being pagan in origin?
    If don't know it's pagan, then so what. God looks at the heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
      If don't know it's pagan, then so what. God looks at the heart.
      What if it keeps you from the relationship that Christ intended?

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
        What if it keeps you from the relationship that Christ intended?
        I'm personally not aware of any pagan practices that I do on purpose that would hinder my relationship with God.

Comment

There are pagan influences that have crept into the church - most are unaware of them but God hates anything pagan - we need to be on our guard - apparently even the fish symbol is pagan!

Where do you get the idea that weekly sermons are pagan? The early church preached the word all the time - one of Paul's last exhortations to Timothy was to preach the word all the time - Jesus prayed that we would be sanctified by the truth and said His word is truth - the first believers devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching etc etc.

Comment

You need to be careful with a book that raises questions and proposes no answers.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
              There are pagan influences that have crept into the church - most are unaware of them but God hates anything pagan - we need to be on our guard - apparently even the fish symbol is pagan!
              Seems that now knowledge is increasing, saints are becoming aware of this, and have become concerned because we don't want to compound paganism and Christianity together - I've been witnessing these concerns on these boards and newsgroups in the past several years - at firsthand, I thought, 'are they out of their minds?'. I guess all in due time we'll get the pagan stuff cleared up/out (at least I hope so) - but old habits die hard.

Where do you get the idea that weekly sermons are pagan? The early church preached the word all the time - one of Paul's last exhortations to Timothy was to preach the word all the time - Jesus prayed that we would be sanctified by the truth and said His word is truth - the first believers devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching etc etc.
              I've heard and read a lot, more than I have been able to keep up with, but I've never heard that "weekly sermons" are pagan either, or weekday, mid-week for that matter. Sounds a bit too extreme to me. Hope REESE'S CUPS are not pagan - I'll have great difficulty in aborting those.

Blessings.
              "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

God can use anything for the good of thoes that love Him.

Wern't we all pagen before accepting Christ? And He changed us!

However, we should be noticiably different on the outside after being changed.

Vicki
                God is an artist who paints panoramas every day!
                I am a photographer who tries to capture His art!

Comment

What about the cross as the symbol? Is that pagan? I know when I bow to a statue of Jesus or the make the sign cross, that I am bowing to respect my LORD and savior.
                  sigpic

Comment

The statue of a European, long-haired, light-skinned six-foot-six man and a cross are not your Lord and Savior.

The very reason that God prohibited any "graven images" to be made was so that the Hebrews would not bow down to them. Even in His tabernacle and temple He forbade that any sort of objects would be used to represent Him, which completely baffled the pagans.

We can thank God for what resulted from the cross, and I'm personally okay with even wearing a cross necklace or something similar to show that you are a follower, but actually bowing down to the cross or a statue of "Jesus" is more along the lines of unknowing idolatry: you're associating that object with God in your own mind, even if you don't intend to. We're followers of the Lord in heaven, not the crosses or statues that people make to depict Him.
                    To This Day

Comment

It's a thought provoking book. The author uses a lot of overstatement and is biased toward the house church movement. He seems to have an axe to grind against the institutional church. That being said, he raises some good points.

I've been leading my Sunday School class through the book (using it as a discussion starter). It's been great to take a fresh look at our traditions and weigh them against Scripture. For anyone interested, I have handouts (study guides) on each chapter of the book available.
                      The Matthew Never Knew
                      The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by matthew94 View Post
                        It's a thought provoking book. The author uses a lot of overstatement and is biased toward the house church movement. He seems to have an axe to grind against the institutional church. That being said, he raises some good points.

I've been leading my Sunday School class through the book (using it as a discussion starter). It's been great to take a fresh look at our traditions and weigh them against Scripture. For anyone interested, I have handouts (study guides) on each chapter of the book available.
                        How come it suggests that weekly sermons are pagan? It's basically an emerging church-type book, right?

Comment

I can name many pagan practices.

The celebration of Christmas and Easter come to mind.

The cross is a graven image.

The robes of many priests and pastors are paganistic.

The saying of the Lords prayer in repition is paganistic, as is any other prayer in repitition.

That's just to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by phaeton426 View Post
                            I can name many pagan practices.

The cross is a graven image.

The robes of many priests and pastors are paganistic.
                            Yea - heard that too.

The saying of the Lords prayer in repition is paganistic, as is any other prayer in repitition.
                            Don't recall this - but note a scripture somewhere, that Yeshua referenced some hypocrites being "repetitive in their prayers" (to falsely make them "look good").

The celebration of Christmas and Easter come to mind.
                            Yea, they are pagan festivals. Christmas has become commercialized too much anyway - it is a burdening toil, and grief for some whom have lost loved ones around that time of the year. The Bible does not tells us what date Yeshua was brought into the flesh, so apparently that part did not seem important to the early writers - we are left to just know He did come, and our Faith is in that part, and "remember" that everyday.

Blessings.
                            "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

Hey clifton,

Just to back the repitition in prayer...

Matthew 6:7 (Whole Chapter)
                              But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

And yet the Lord's prayer is said in vain repitition.

I did a break down on the Lord's prayer the other day but perhaps I'll start a thread on it for discussion when I have more time.

Comment

Working...
                              X