Please list the Covenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please list the Covenants

Some one mentioned the ‘Abrahamic Covenant.’ What are the main covenants in the Old Testament? Would someone be so kind as to list them for me? Also, are these covenants the same as each other, re-promised to the individuals mentioned, or are they each independent of each other?

Thanks,

Cyberseeker
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Not to over simplify but it's pretty much just 2. The covenant with Abraham. The new covenant through Jesus.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

God's covenant with Noah to never again destroy the Earth by flood (Genesis 9)
      God's covenant with Abraham to make him the father of a great nation of people--Israel God's chosen people (Genesis 12)
      God's covenant with Moses, based on the 10 commandments--base for Mosaic Law (Exodus 19)
      God's covenant with David--David and his descendants would be the heirs to the royal throne of Israel. (2 Samuel 7)

Then the best covenant is that of Christ, found in the NT.

In Christ,
      Jen

Comment

All of the covenants are based upon the law, except for the new covenant. The New Covenant fulfills all the others, in that no more sacrifices.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post
          Some one mentioned the ‘Abrahamic Covenant.’ What are the main covenants in the Old Testament? Would someone be so kind as to list them for me? Also, are these covenants the same as each other, re-promised to the individuals mentioned, or are they each independent of each other?

Thanks,

Cyberseeker
          There are many covenants throughout Scripture:
          • The Edenic Covenant
          • The Adamic Covenant
          • The Noahic Covenant
          • The Abrahamic Covenant
          • The Mosaic Covenant
          • The Palestinian Covenant
          • The Davidic Covenant
          • The New Covenant
          • The Everlasting Covenant
          We can discuss these individually if you care to.

God bless,

Z.
          "Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious" (1 Peter 2:7)

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to discuss the differences between them. Or debate whether they are separate or related, whatever.

For example, I wonder if the Mosaic covt wasn't just the Abrahanic covt but with the law tacked on for good measure.
            "Your name and renown

Comment

Originally posted by ZAB View Post
              There are many covenants throughout Scripture:
              • The Edenic Covenant
              • The Adamic Covenant
              • The Noahic Covenant
              • The Abrahamic Covenant
              • The Mosaic Covenant
              • The Palestinian Covenant
              • The Davidic Covenant
              • The New Covenant

We can discuss these individually if you care to.

God bless,

Z.
              Now to discuss these individually in this thread will take this thread on for days if not years...

But I do recommend that we start with one at a time and work our way down the list... I for one would love to do that
              The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you,And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,And give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

Comment

Romans 9:4 is a bit of a stickler in regards to the "two covenant" idea, as it would seem odd that Paul (apostle to the Gentiles) is advocating the exclusivity of the New Covenant to Jews ("to whom pertain...."). Which means that he is referring to the covenants of the OT made with Israel - not the Adamic or Noahic ones which apply to all mankind.

Of course, the NT revealed the "great mystery" - that even the covenants that "pertain to Israel" were made with the Gentiles in mind as well in terms of our being "grafted in" to the promises of God that were formerly exclusive promises. But Romans 9:4 is still worthy of our reflection and meditation lest we overdo the "grafted in" point to the expense of the point Paul was making in Romans 9:4 and 11:11-12.

I always think in terms of the "main" covenantal promises in terms of "the divine sentence":

God desires to save all the nations and families of the earth (The Abrahamic Covenant declared God's intention to save mankind) from sin (The Mosaic Covenant was added to tutor us in regards to our need to be saved) into an everlasting kingdom (The Davidic Covenant defined that salvation "from" was also salvation "into" - a point that is often lost in modern Christianity) through the blood of His Son (The New Covenant was the means to accomplish the fulfillment of His commitment to us).

Often folks bandy about the word "fulfilled" as if all of this has already happened - but when one views the New Covenant as the means to bring us into the fullness of salvation (which culminates in glorification and our life with Him in an everlasting kingdom) I think the context of the promises of the Bible and the leadership of God become clearer to the believer, IMO.
                The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Originally posted by ZAB View Post
                  • The New Covenant

The New Covenant is the same thing as the Everlasting Covenant.

Hebrews 12.24: ... and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Hebrews 13.20-21: Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the everlasting covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

They're described as exactly the same.
                  To This Day

Comment

Good points about Romans 9:4 Rookie. Would you say that the covenants made to Israel were the same covenant but progressively expanding in their revelation?
                    "Your name and renown

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to discuss the differences between them. Or debate whether they are separate or related, whatever.

For example, I wonder if the Mosaic covt wasn't just the Abrahanic covt but with the law tacked on for good measure.
                      Hi, I have to work all weekend, but I will be sure to be back and discuss these covenants with you

God bless,

Z.

Comment

Good points about Romans 9:4 Rookie. Would you say that the covenants made to Israel were the same covenant but progressively expanding in their revelation?
                        That would be a way of stating the way that Covenant Theology views the Old and New Covenants, whether you see it that way or not; I personally would think of it in terms of distinctive covenants (cf. Rom. 9:4; Gal. 3:19 - "the law was added...") that progressively reveal the redemptive plan of God.

For example, it would seem to me that we are supposed to understand the New Covenant as distinct, particularly in the manner that the prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel presented it. Again, however, it was inseparable from the earlier covenants of God as each one works on a continuum from Adam, to Noah, to Abraham, to Moses, to David, and to (and through) Christ. The covenants as a whole then tell the story of redemption which is, of course, one story progressively revealed through God's interactions with these men.

So it's "yes and no", IMO.
                        The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
                          [/LIST]The New Covenant is the same thing as the Everlasting Covenant.

Hebrews 12.24: ... and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Hebrews 13.20-21: Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the everlasting covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

They're described as exactly the same.
                          The Everlasting Covenant was made in eternity, before time began, in the counsels of the eternal Godhead. It was made before the creation of humankind. This covenant is an all-encompassing covenant . It is God's complete plan for creation and redemption.

Eph 3:11 "...According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord..."

Eph 1:4 "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love..."

2 Tim 1:9 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began..."

The overriding purpose of the Everlasting Covenant provided the basis for the purposes revealed in the covenants made on earth and in time (Eph 3:11; Rom 8:27-30; Eph 1:9; Heb 13:20).

Z.

Comment

Well, these covenants were quite different:
                            • The Abrahamic Covenant involved believers of all nations, National Israel, and the Seed Messiah (that is, that the Messiah would come from his seed).
                            • The Mosaic Covenant was made solely with the nation of Israel. It was made to be a "schoolmaster" to bring the people to Christ Jesus.
                            What is the relationship between the Abrahamic Covenant and the Mosaic Covenant?
                            • The Mosaic Covenant did not annul or replace the Abrahamic Covenant. Abraham's Covenant had been made irrevocable by its promises being confirmed with an oath (Gal 3:8, 9, 14-18; Heb 6:13-20).
                            • The Mosaic Covenant was added to or "placed alongside" the Abrahamic Covenant because of Israel's transgressions (Gal 3:19). This is why the prophet's spoke of the covenants co-existing in their day (Gal 3:15-19; Ezek 16:59-63). The Abrahamic Covenant and the Mosaic Covenant both flow into the cross; their ceremonial elements being fulfilled and abolished and their spiritual and eternal elements being fulfilled in the New Covenant.
                            • The Mosaic Covenant was imposed or "laid upon" Israel to prefigure the person and work of Christ (Heb 9:9-10).
                            • The Mosaic Covenant was temporal, given until Christ, the Seed of Abraham, would come and until the time of reformation brought about by the New Covenant (Gal 3:19; Heb 9:10).
                            Thus, the Abrahamic Covenant was the transcending eternal covenant while the Mosaic Covenant was the temporary additional covenant.

Make sense?

Z.

Comment

Hey, this is good stuff Zab. Will get back to it when I come back at the end of the day.
                              "Your name and renown

Comment

Working...
                              X