Willful Sins Against the Lord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT Willful Sins Against the Lord

Hebrews 10:1, "For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect."

10:10, "By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

10:14, "For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified."

10:28-31, "For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The LORD will judge His people." It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

In our first scripture, Hebrews 10:1, we see that the law has power to make nothing perfect. This is in contrast to the blood of Jesus, which does have power to make perfect. In Hebrews 10:10 we see that all of us who are in Christ have been sanctified by the offering of Jesus Christ once for all. Therefore if you have not been sanctified you are not in Christ. In Hebrews 10:14 we see that He has perfected forever those who are sanctified. The NKJV translation of this, saying that He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified is unfortiunate because if you read it apart from its context you will come to the wrong conclusion. The context says we have been sanctified. The NKJV grants perfection to those who are being sanctified. Now granted, 2 Corinthians 3:18 does seem to make a case for gradual sanctification, but I contend that when true sanctification comes it will be total and complete. "Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely: and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blamelesss at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thess. 5:23) Therefore I say to you that the OKJV is more accurate by saying, "For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are sanctified."

If therefore our sanctification is complete and we are perfected forever, we will no longer be under bondage to sin, even as 1 John 3:5-9 also says (esp. v. 9).

Consider that the very next passage in our text warns us against sinning willfully against the Lord, and that if we do so there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins. This is heavy in one interpretation and less heavy in another.

In one interpretation of this, the sacrifice for sins being spoken of is animal sacrifices, since in context, the author of Hebrews speaks of how animal sacrifices were done away with when Jesus died on the Cross. This allows for the sacrifice of Jesus to remain for us even if we do sin willfully against God.

The second interpretation is heavier, which says that because the sacrifice of Jesus is mentioned as a sacrifice and as an offering in and of itself, therefore not even the sacrifice of Jesus remains for you if you sin willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth. This is backed up by the second verse in the passage, which says, "(there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins) but a certain fearful expectation of judgment and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries." This seems to me to be saying that once you sin willfully, if you know the truth, there is no sacrifice for sins left (not even the sacrifice of Jesus) because all that is left is a certain fearful expectation of judgment.

However, I believe that it is spoken of in this way so that those who read will understand the severity of willful sin. If it is not severe (and it is), then the sacrifice of Jesus avails even if we continue in willfil sin, because the only sacrifice that has been done away is the animal sacrifices of the Old Testament.

I want to take the middle ground and say that if a person repents and stops practicing willful sin, the sacrifice of Jesus will again avail for him as it did before. Galatians 6:1, James 5:19-20, and Romans 11:23 seem to substantiate this. The moment you practice willful sin against the Lord, therefore, you are not then in His grace but have come out from under it.

It is His word that makes us fit for heaven. At the judgment or at our death God is not going to suddenly change the character of our soul so that we will be fit for heaven. Granted, He will change our bodies so that we will have glorified bodies, but He is only going to do this for those who have resisted temptation in this life. The crown of life is not a literal crown that will be put on our head among other crowns, but it represents the life that you have in Christ. James 1:12 says, "Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him."

Therefore I say to you that if you want to have life, resist temptation.

1 John 1:9 says that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins ad to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Therefore if you have truly confessed your sins why are you not cleansed from the practice of sin? 1 John 3:5-9 states clearly that those who are born of God cannot sin because they are abiding in Christ. Therefore if you abide in Christ you will not sin. It is very black and white, and it is complicated by people who want to make an excuse for their sin. "But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:3) When Eve was deceived she was tempted into sin. Keep it simple, at black and white, and you will not be deceived as she was. The wages of sin is death.

Be praying against willful sin in the visible body of Christ.

Phileo and Agape in Christ Jesus,

Geoffrey Primanti
    Phileo and Agape in Christ,
    Geoffrey Primanti

I am emphatic about this. The moment any one of you submits to circumcision or any other rule-keeping system, at that same moment Christ's hard-won gift of freedom is squandered. I repeat my warning: The person who accepts the ways of circumcision trades all the advantages of the free life in Christ for the obligations of the slave life of the law.
    Gal. 5:2-3, TMB
    To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.
    Eph. 3:8, NKJV

If you do something unwillfully is it a sin? Can you site some examples?

Comment

If you know the good that you ought to do and don't do it, to you it is sin. In this sense everyone sins, because we don't all of us go out and evangelize every day. But it is not willful sin, because I'm sure that most people aren't even aware of the fact that they are sinning by this.

The sin of prayerlessness may not be willfiul, but it is nevertheless a sin.
      Geoffrey Primanti

I am emphatic about this. The moment any one of you submits to circumcision or any other rule-keeping system, at that same moment Christ's hard-won gift of freedom is squandered. I repeat my warning: The person who accepts the ways of circumcision trades all the advantages of the free life in Christ for the obligations of the slave life of the law.
      To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.

Comment

************bump***********
        Geoffrey Primanti

Comment

Originally posted by Gift of God View Post
          If you know the good that you ought to do and don't do it, to you it is sin. In this sense everyone sins, because we don't all of us go out and evangelize every day. But it is not willful sin, because I'm sure that most people aren't even aware of the fact that they are sinning by this.

The sin of prayerlessness may not be willfiul, but it is nevertheless a sin.
          Is there a sin that you are aware of in you life or are you sinless as far as you know?

Comment

If I said I was sinless I would be deceiving myself and the truth would not be in me, but I would give my answer the same as Paul said in 1 Corinthians 4:4.
            Geoffrey Primanti

Comment

If the Spirit of God truly lives within you, it should make you sensitive to sin. One of the roles of the Holy Spirit is to convict us of sin and lead us to repentance. We are called to "keep in step with the Spirit." I think that means to obey the Spirit's call to repentance when we become aware of sin in our life.

I think Matthew 7 tells us that there will be many who do not understand repentance and have a false sense of security when it comes to salvation. Grace is not a license to sin, but a safety net for the redeemed who are trying to walk in righteousness.

When we come to Christ, some sins are easy to repent of. However, there are also certain "besetting sins" that are more of a process of dying daily to those deeply ingrained habits and patterns. Sins like alcoholism, drug addiction, sexual addictions often are journeys of sanctification on the way to victory. Sometimes God miraculously delivers folks from such things, but often it's been my experience that it's a process.

Comment

This stinks. I've done this many times, and it really, really stinks. Jesus loves me, without mercy. Those two statements are seperated and together at the same time. My testimony should be one to set an example for future Christians, don't fall in to fornification, and don't disobey thy father or mother. Case closed.

Comment

Dear Hburgpreacher:

1 Corinthians 4:4 says, "For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but he who judges me is the Lord."

Obviously Paul himself was not a true believer, because he was not sensitive to sin.

The born again believer is set free from sin (Romans 6:22). Therefore how is he going to be sensitive to something that is not a part of his life? In others, perhaps, but not in his own life.

John 16:8-9, "And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me."

The Holy Spirit convicts people of sin because they don't believe in Christ, not because they do.

Dear Ekeak:

His mercy endures forever, and His mercy changes the heart. Titus 3:5. To say that the doctrine of Hebrews 10 is saying that Jesus loves me but without mercy is sheer nonsense. Of course Jesus loves all of us and has mercy toward all of us. This does not mean that He doesn't require us to live holy, be sure to read Titus 3:5 to see what God's mercy is all about. And Hebrews 12:14 says that without holiness no one will see the Lord.
                  Geoffrey Primanti

Comment

He who says he is without sin is a liar.

God is merciful. Does God judge by your works or by your heart?

Comment

God is not mocked. Whatever sin you sow, you will reap the consequences to various degrees...............
                      Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

He who says he is without sin is a liar.

God is merciful. Does God judge by your works or by your heart?
                        There is a difference between saying you are set free from sin (Romans 6:22) and saying you are without sin (1 John 1:8). Otherwise there is a contradiction in scripture.

It has to do with putting sin to death and putting it in remission. if it is dead it has no say over what you do. A cancer that is in remission is still there but is no longer malignant.

In answer to your other question, God judges by your works which reveals your heart (see Revelation 20:12 in its context).

And it is also true that real believers in Christ, who believe in the Father through Christ (1 Peter 1:21) will never be judged by God (John 5:24).
                        Geoffrey Primanti

Comment

Christians shouldn't have willful sins in their lives. By willful sins I refer to pre-meditated sins. In my opinion, pre-meditated sins are evidence of an extremely cold heart toward God. There are other times when someone sins willfully, but it is not pre-meditated. The sin is committed quickly, w/o thinking. This is also very sinful, but not quite the same (even worldly justice recognizes the difference b/w crime and pre-meditated crime). Sins of ignorace are also sinful, but not even on par with spur of the moment willful sins. God deals differently with different categories of sins since He's mostly interested in the hardness/softness of our hearts.

In any case, the solution to sin remains the same: repentance. It doesn't matter if your sin was pre-meditated and willful, spur-of-the-moment and willful, or done in ignorance. Once you become aware of it, you must repent. Repentance is hard for the last group. Harder for the middle group. Hardest for the first group.
                          The Matthew Never Knew
                          The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Amen, matthew94.

*******bump******
                            Geoffrey Primanti

Comment

I would like to suggest something for consideration. This passage in context is referring to the willful rejection of Christ, not committing individual sins on a habitual basis. He is warning against apostasy. In v. 28 he states anyone who rejects Moses' law dies (physically) on the testimony of two or three witnesses. v. 29 He says how much worse a punishment do you think the one who has the knowledge of the truth (Jesus) and rejects it is deserving of? Spiritual death. That person has just treated the blood of the Son of God as common (unclean or defiled). When a person knows the truth his conscience testifies, our consciences are cleansed and purified by that blood and when he rejects Christ (truth) he insults the Spirit of Grace. That is a grievously serious sin!

He goes on to say do not do this, do not cast it away because of your suffering because of it or the trials and tribulations we must go through. He says hold on to it, for our reward for doing so will be ours. v. 38 goes on to say the just will live by faith (we will hold onto and not let go of our belief and faith in Jesus), the ones who do let go, "draws back", God will have no pleasure in him. The person who draws back from the knowledge of the gospel and faith will prove his apostasy.

I believe this is what is being referred to in 1Jn 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin not unto death, he shall ask; and He shall give life to him, to the ones not sinning unto death. There is a sin unto death. I do not say that he should ask about that. When we are in Christ, the sins we can commit are forgiven us, they are not unto death (spiritual) but the sin of apostasy is a sin unto death (spiritual).

And this all again being reiterated in:Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those once having been enlightened, and having tasted of the heavenly gift, and becoming sharers of the Holy Spirit,
                              Heb 6:5 and tasting the good Word of God, and the works of power of a coming age,
                              Heb 6:6 and having fallen away, it is impossible for them again to renew to repentance, crucifying again for themselves the Son of God, and putting Him to open shame.
                              Heb 6:7 (For the earth drinking in the rain often coming upon it, and producing vegetation suitable for those for whom it is also worked, receives blessing from God;
                              Heb 6:8 "but bearing thorns and thistles," it is deemed unfit and near a curse, of which the end is for burning.) Gen. 3:17, 18
                              Heb 6:9 But, loved ones, even if we indeed speak so, we have been persuaded better things concerning you, even holding fast salvation.
                              Heb 6:10 For God is not unjust, to forget your work and the labor of love which you showed to His name, ministering to the saints, and now are ministering.

Comment

Working...
                              X