This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should everyone pray in tongues?

I have been going to an Assembly Of God church recently and like it so far. In the past month or so, our pastor has been kind of pressuring everyone to pray in tongues. He has said that everyone should pray in tongues. I have not been blessed with this gift, and when he has asked everyone to pray in tongues, I of course do not. It is a small town and church and I feel very pressured into doing this. The pastor is very big on the power of the Pentacost. I do believe it is a gift from the Holy Spirit and can be very beneficial, and I am having a hard time feeling forced into this.

I know I have the Holy Spirit dwelling in me- giving me grace, faith, and strength. I have prayed for this gift but have yet to receive it. I know God will give you what you need when you need it, but does everyone get the gift of tongues? Can you be baptized in the Holy Spirit and not have the outward effect of speaking this heavenly language? I am feeling like I am doing something wrong by not speaking in tongues, but I don't think I should feel this way. And I definitely won't fake it.

Please help me understand better.

Many times way too much emphasis is placed upon tongues, or some other gift. Some go so far as to say that unless you speak in tongues, you are not saved. This is foolishness.
    The evidence of the Spirit in our lives are the fruits of the Spirit, not the gifts of the Spirit.
    I think many do receive the ability to speak, or pray, in tongues. I think also, however, that the 'gift' of tongues is limited to a few. There is a difference in having a gift and operating in that ability.
    For instance, my primary gift is teacher, but I have operated in healing, evangelism, discernment, prophecy, etc., as the situation warrented.I do speak in tongues, but never publicly. It is merely a 'prayer language' to me, rather than a gift that I operate in.
    All the gifts have as their central purpose the witnessing and testimony of God's power and love. None of them are for our personal benefit, none of them elevate us to any spiritual 'position'. In other words, a person who has the gift of healing is no more holy than a person who only speaks in tongues, or does not currently operate in a gift.
    I have seen so many 'parade' their gift around, displaying it for all to see and marvel at their level of 'holiness'. What a bunch of hogwash! Spiritual pride!
    (sticks finger in throat and gags)

Comment

Originally posted by kdub View Post
      I have been going to an Assembly Of God church recently and like it so far. In the past month or so, our pastor has been kind of pressuring everyone to pray in tongues. He has said that everyone should pray in tongues. I have not been blessed with this gift, and when he has asked everyone to pray in tongues, I of course do not. It is a small town and church and I feel very pressured into doing this. The pastor is very big on the power of the Pentacost. I do believe it is a gift from the Holy Spirit and can be very beneficial, and I am having a hard time feeling forced into this.

I know I have the Holy Spirit dwelling in me- giving me grace, faith, and strength. I have prayed for this gift but have yet to receive it. I know God will give you what you need when you need it, but does everyone get the gift of tongues? Can you be baptized in the Holy Spirit and not have the outward effect of speaking this heavenly language? I am feeling like I am doing something wrong by not speaking in tongues, but I don't think I should feel this way. And I definitely won't fake it.

God and people around you want you to pray in a language that they can all understand. The reason for this gift of the spirit is to spread the gospel to people who do not speak your language.

Comment

You can be baptized in the Holy Spirit, be a christian, and have the Holy Spirit dwell within you without having the gift of praying in tongues. God definitely does not have all christians pray in tongues. I know hundreds upon hundreds of true christians, many who are very dedicated and close to God, who have never spoken nor prayed in tongues. I think it's kinda interesting that it's only in pentacostal churches that most people speak or pray in tongues.

Don't give in to peer pressure and fake it! Find your peace in God, not in the doctrines of others. You're not doing wrong by not speaking in tongues - if God wants you to speak in tongues, HE will tell you so, and HE will give you the ability to do so. I remember this one book that I read, it asked "How can we follow the shepherd if we're getting pushed around by the sheep?" Follow God's leading in your life, not the pressure of others.

I've been a christian for almost nine years; I've never prayed in tongues, and God's never told me that I should be praying in tongues, and He's never given me the inclination or ability.

God Bless

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
          Many times way too much emphasis is placed upon tongues, or some other gift. Some go so far as to say that unless you speak in tongues, you are not saved. This is foolishness.
          The evidence of the Spirit in our lives are the fruits of the Spirit, not the gifts of the Spirit.
          I think many do receive the ability to speak, or pray, in tongues. I think also, however, that the 'gift' of tongues is limited to a few. There is a difference in having a gift and operating in that ability.
          For instance, my primary gift is teacher, but I have operated in healing, evangelism, discernment, prophecy, etc., as the situation warrented.I do speak in tongues, but never publicly. It is merely a 'prayer language' to me, rather than a gift that I operate in.
          All the gifts have as their central purpose the witnessing and testimony of God's power and love. None of them are for our personal benefit, none of them elevate us to any spiritual 'position'. In other words, a person who has the gift of healing is no more holy than a person who only speaks in tongues, or does not currently operate in a gift.
          I have seen so many 'parade' their gift around, displaying it for all to see and marvel at their level of 'holiness'. What a bunch of hogwash! Spiritual pride!
          Great post. No one should 'pressure' you into it.

Comment

What does the pastor say is the purpose of speaking/praying in tongues for you? The believer has all he needs in Christ for salvation, nothing can be added to it.

If today's speaking in tongues is for real, then it needs to be a real existing language such as people understand and would only be of use on the mission field.

The purposeful gift of tongues at Pentacost was to spread the Gospel to all people in the then known world and the apostles didn't need to spend time learing them first. That is proved in:
            Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
            Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
            Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia....

That gift is no longer needed as we have the complete Bible translated in most languages and that gift of tongues has ceased.

1Co 14:22
            Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not....

1Co 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease....

The following link may be of help to you.
            http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.as...keyword=tongue
            Last edited by Oma; Jun 30th 2008, 12:31 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
              This is very true.

Comment

if you have been baptized by the Holy spirit, you are able to speak in tongues, (the prayer language used for edification of yourself between you and God.) i was baptized by the Holy spirit and didnt speak in tongues for about 3 to 4 months, only because i didnt know any better. so yes you can be baptized by the spirit and not speak in tongues. any and everyone can pray in tongues who have been baptized by the holy spirirt. you just have to accept it by faith, just like speaking words of wisdom and knowledge or healing. you have to accept what God wants you to do or is trying to do through you.
                But the Gift of tongues i believe is something totally different that is spoken in a service that should always be followed by an interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by cross crusader View Post
                  if you have been baptized by the Holy spirit, you are able to speak in tongues, (the prayer language used for edification of yourself between you and God.) i was baptized by the Holy spirit and didnt speak in tongues for about 3 to 4 months, only because i didnt know any better. so yes you can be baptized by the spirit and not speak in tongues. any and everyone can pray in tongues who have been baptized by the holy spirirt. you just have to accept it by faith, just like speaking words of wisdom and knowledge or healing. you have to accept what God wants you to do or is trying to do through you.
                  But the Gift of tongues i believe is something totally different that is spoken in a service that should always be followed by an interpretation.
                  I am not sure you can say everyone who is baptized by the Holy Spirit can speak in tongues.

To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. (1Cor 12:7-11).

Not everyone is given this ability, only some. Being Baptisted in the Holy Spirit does not mean you can speak in tongues, nor does speaking in tongues mean you are baptised in the holy spirit. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the only way to show that you are baptised in the Holy Spirit is by the fruits of your works.
                  "Deus est intus"

Comment

And I definitely won't fake it.
                    Good for you. IMO 99.9 percent of "tongues" is faked whether knowingly or not.
                    1Peter 3:15
                    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
                      So, I take it you have seen a case where you thought it was genuine? todd

Comment

Can you be baptized in the Holy Spirit and not have the outward effect of speaking this heavenly language? I am feeling like I am doing something wrong by not speaking in tongues, but I don't think I should feel this way. And I definitely won't fake it.
                        My best friend grew up in a charismatic church, received the Holy Spirit when she was very very young, but didn't receive the gift of tongues until she was 19. She was prayed for many times, but it wasn't God's timing. So keep asking, but don't feel pressured by the church or your pastor. It isn't up to you anyway. Paul says some cool things about it all. Consider this:

The purpose of tongues is largely (not completely) to edify the individual, and not the church body.

• I Corinthians 14: 2-4 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

So Church, according to Paul, is not the best place to speak in tongues anyway. Paul, who says he spoke in tongues MORE THAN ANY of the Corinthians, also said this:
                        • 1 Cor 14:18-19 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

So yes, eagerly desire all the gifts of the Spirit, but seek to excel in the ones that build up the body. (1 Corinthians 14:12) Maybe God isn't focused on that gift in you right now - perhaps he wants you to learn serve the body through another gift, even though it looks different than what everyone else is doing. Or, maybe you'll receive it next week!

Comment

Grace for the learning process

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
                          I get what you're trying to point out, but consider this:
                          My toddler is learning to speak. She babbles 99.9999999 percent of the time, and throws in a "real" word every now and then. But her babbling is my delight, because I know what she's seeking to do.

Paul says that tongues is a language, just like any other language. So while the Spirit gives us the ABILITY to speak, (just as a newborn has the latent ability to speak at birth), this implies that we may have to earn how to speak it correctly, even after the initial outpouring of the Spirit on our lives.

I think that many times, those who are 'babies' in the gift 'babble'. That's ok. They're learning, and it delights the Father's heart. We need to have grace for the learning curve in this gift the same that we would for any other gift - Teaching, prophecy, service, etc.

(And yes, I'm sure that sometimes an individual completely fakes tongues b/c of pressure. Grace to them! It's hard to feel pressured!)

Comment

Hey Kdub,

Praying in tongues is a gift, but it does state in scripture that tongues although a gift of God, are not that edifying unless one is able to use the gift to bring others to the faith. This can be applied to any gift given by God. I would try to pray to God to help you use what gifts he's given you, to edify the body, and bring others into the faith. You may want to even discuss with your preacher what gifts you think you have, and how you can use them to help your congregation. Hope this information helps you.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by keck553
                              Do you have a biblical basis to back that up? I don't think we should throw out the baby with the bathwater. People mishandle what is holy, and of God, but the Source is pure, and the gift is still good!
                              Last edited by Buck shot; Jun 30th 2008, 06:14 PM. Reason: clean up from deleted post

Comment

Working...
                              X