A question about tounges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about tounges

I attended a church service today where a lady in the church spoke in tongues. After wards, one man interpreted it but after he was done and a very long silence occurred, the same person who did the speaking in tounges interpreted herself. I want to know if this is right or not, or at least hear people's opinions on it because I really feel that it was wrong to do so and against the Word. Since Paul says that two or three at most should inturepret, it doesn't say at all that the person doing the tounges speaking should also say what it means. Isn't the idea that the person doing it does not understand what they are saying, and the reason for the interputer is to edify the church with the message?

I would just like to hear what some people here have to say. I am seeking this in earnest because I want to do what the Word says, and this issue really divides not only myself, but even many of my friends.

-Joseph
    "Deus est intus"

i find it rare that one would have the gift of tongues and interpretation at the same time. Why would they not then just speak english? lol
    "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

The Word does not place limits on who interprets. In the case of the one speaking tongues interpretting, it is entirely possible for God to give them the tongues, and then afterward the interpretation.
      No point in putting God, or His gifts, into such a box. No need to place such limits on it. Let God be God and let Him use whom He will, how He will.

Comment

I think I understand what you are sharing and can see why it would concern you; but not having been there is is difficult for me to answer and I am sure you have read through I Cor 14 on this subject.

In an assembly, as you mention, generally if someone has the interpretation the one who spoke out in the gift of tongues usually does not. However, if no one has the interpretation the one who spoke in tongues can interpret. I have seen this done on some occasions.

The Word does tell us that all should be done in decency and order. I am not sure why there were two interpreting; but then sometimes when there is a prophecy another one will continue what sounds like the same prophecy so perhaps the second one was a continuation of the interpretation..It could also be that the first or second interpretation was a prophetic word and not an interpretation in tongues. When this is happening with more than one speaking quickly it is sometimes hard to tell.

Did the atmosphere seem peaceful? It is really up to the pastor (preacher) or someone in authority to keep peace and order in a general gathering and make corrections if need be.

One thing I go by is that the messages should be bringing edification/exhortation to the people listening.
        "The flowers appear on the earth,
        the time of singing has come,
        and the voice of the turtledove
        is heard in our land
        ." SofS 2:12 (RSV)

Comment

Originally posted by LetsDrinkCoke View Post
          I would just like to hear what some people here have to say. I am seeking this in earnest because I want to do what the Word says, and this issue really divides not only myself, but even many of my friends.

-Joseph
          Paul really blasted the Corinthian church for using this gift in error. That's why he stressed to them that if no one interprets, then keep silent. It is better to speak INTELIGIBLY than to speak in a language no one understands and the church is not edified.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsDrinkCoke View Post
            I attended a church service today where a lady in the church spoke in tongues. After wards, one man interpreted it but after he was done and a very long silence occurred, the same person who did the speaking in tounges interpreted herself. I want to know if this is right or not, or at least hear people's opinions on it because I really feel that it was wrong to do so and against the Word. Since Paul says that two or three at most should inturepret, it doesn't say at all that the person doing the tounges speaking should also say what it means. Isn't the idea that the person doing it does not understand what they are saying, and the reason for the interputer is to edify the church with the message?

-Joseph
            Paul does imply that the speaker can give an interpretation:

• 1 Corinthians 14:5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

I don't think that this is often the case, however, because yeah, the point is that the person doesn't know what they're saying because it's God saying it. I'd be more hesitant (but not unwilling) to accept the person's interpretation, because it requires more discernment - anyone can babble and then make up their own interpretation. It requires more testing.

Comment

The way the greek reads the one that speaks in tongues will have the interpretation. who better? anyone "interpreting" is only manifesting their own prophecy.(forthtelling not foretelling)

what happened from what you said was the lady spoke in tongues got interrupted by a man uttering prophecy then continued on with her interpretation.

the man was out of order and needs instruction.

another point, speaking in tongues with interpretation equals prophecy. prophecy is for the more "mature believers" both are intended to inspire and build up the Body of Christ. both are inspirational manifestations so the words are not there until the instant before spoken
              Christianity is a leap of faith, not the abandonment of logic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1of7000 View Post
                The way the greek reads the one that speaks in tongues will have the interpretation. who better? anyone "interpreting" is only manifesting their own prophecy.(forthtelling not foretelling)

what happened from what you said was the lady spoke in tongues got interrupted by a man uttering prophecy then continued on with her interpretation.

the man was out of order and needs instruction.

another point, speaking in tongues with interpretation equals prophecy. prophecy is for the more "mature believers" both are intended to inspire and build up the Body of Christ. both are inspirational manifestations so the words are not there until the instant before spoken
                Interesting - I agree, it's a true statement for 1 Corinthians 14:13
                • For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.

but what about 1 Corinthians 14:27?
                • If anyone speaks in a tongue, two--or at the most three--should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. (italics mine)

Does anyone know if the Greek implies that in this case as well? (I'd be interested to see which case is more prominent in the epistles)

and 1 Corinthians 12:10
                • ...to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

Greek or not, that last one totally implies that the gifts can be separate, and therefore operate independently of one another. (e.g. you can speak in tongues, and I could interpret, even if I don't speak in tongues)

Again, I mostly curious about the middle verse because it seems BOTH cases are referred to in scripture. So I'm wondering, which one is more prominently referred to - the speaker interpreting, or another individual. It would make a difference in how we taught about tongues!

Comment

It's entirely possible that the man didn't give the entire interpretation. Perhaps he got "scared" or just didn't get it all. It is perfectly ok for the one doing the speaking in tongues to finish. It was obvious to those in your church with discernment-that the Body needed to wait for more (and so the silence). Nothing wrong here as far as I can see.
                  In my church usually a different person gives the interpretation-but not always.

Comment

God is a God of order. Check out the universe. No one is ordained by God to walk around in a daze and jibber-jabber like a pagan or a kabbalist.

When the gift is given by God, it is a gift to communicate with others in various languages. The purpose is to spread the Gospel. The result should always be edifying and glorifying to the Lord.

All babbling does is spread confusion and chaos.

Many who profess to have teh evidence of being baptised in the Holy Spirit by 'speaking in tongues' (babble) fail to show they have God's approval, evidenced by their depature to sound doctrine. Paul wrote: No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God's approval (1 Cor 11:19). People I know insist that thier 'speaking in tongues' is athtentic and of value, dispite the fact that it does not enrich thier understanding, nor can they say AMEN to thier own prayers. There is no evidence that this has God's approval or that it is led by the Holy Spirit.

No doubt God spoke miraculously through many people in the early church through gifts of prophecy, tongues (languages) and other interpretations.

But now we have the word of God in it's fullness! Why are so many people being enticed and led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Jesus, our Messiah and go beyond the written Word? Have some minds become so dulled and blinded to the truth that they attract themselves to spiritual experiences and the appearance of miracles rather than the diligent study of God's word?

Some say those who diligently sutdy teh Scriptures, by which we distiguish between good and evil (Heb 5:14 and 6:11) are stoic and opposed to the 'unpredictable' moving of the Holy Spirit. Indeed the ability to speak in other languages was a Gift of the Holy Spirit, and testified to in the Scriptures. It is for this reason that many are persuaded to speak incoherant and unintelligible utterances in 'blind faith' thinking they are on a path that returns them to the fullness of gifts of the early church.

In my opinion, this stance is a denial that the Word of God has been revealed in it's fullness and requires no further prophetic utterance either in our own language, a foreign language, or jibber-jabber, whether by word of knowledge or word of wisdom.

The mature in Christ need not be puffed up by vain spiritual experience.

I would be more than happy to attempt to study together in the spirit of learning and clarifying any scriptual references to 'tongues'.
                    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                      God is a God of order. Check out the universe. No one is ordained by God to walk around in a daze and jibber-jabber like a pagan or a kabbalist.
                      You know I had to laugh at this one man. Kabbalist? I didn't know they babble.(no offense to any Kabbalists on here - I don't know anything about the doctrine) To be fair, sometimes those who are in the body and speak plain english babble as well...

Comment

I threw in Kabbalists because they tend to dabble in metaphysics, which in my view is about the same.

As to your second comment, so true. Myself included. Especially when my blood sugar drops!!

If I can speak to one event that was a turning point for me in all this, (I admit to being involved in all this myself), is when I was on a worship team and my Pastor wanted to emotionally fire up his congregation. He came to me, put his hand on my shoulder and spoke these words to me: "Now when you perform up there, act like you're filled with the Holy Spirit".

Something happened to me instantly the moment I heard that statement. I walked away and from that day I never looked back at my old charismatic days.

It's not my human nature to walk away and turn the way I did, so suddenly. I am convinced I walked away in God's will and against my own will, for I loved the people in that congregation, I loved the worship team. But I love God more.
                        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

When the gift is given by God, it is a gift to communicate with others in various languages. The purpose is to spread the Gospel. The result should always be edifying and glorifying to the Lord.
                          First of all, I think you're hilarious. Secondly, I'd like to know your take on 1 Corinthians 14:2-4. I agree with you that tongues is a gift that can be used to spread the Gospel.... but isn't there more to it?

PS, I'm interested in doing the study if you start one. I've seen a lot of ideas about tongues, and I'd like to go through what the bible has to say about it for myself. But it's more fun with other people, because they reveal your bias. For example, I forgot that the disciples used tongues to evangelize!

Comment

They sure did. In Greek and all kinds of other intelligible languages! Just like God spoke in (I think) 70 languages from Mt. Sinai (the hebrews had all kinds of foreigners traveling with them).

Remember, the New Testament was not yet written. Now that it is, God's Word is complete and full.

I truely don't want this to become an ego contest. I just am interested in truth. We are all one in Christ and all brothers with Him as our Teacher.

So, does this start on a new thread or continue here?

I'll check Paul's writing and comment.

Comment

Just like God spoke in (I think) 70 languages from Mt. Sinai (the hebrews had all kinds of foreigners traveling with them).
                              Hang on, what??? That's really cool. Where can I look that up? Talk about interesting.....

Anyway, I can guarantee that we won't agree on all points, but I am not interested in arguing, only in study, and it seems like you have a point of view that is worth a deeper look.

BTW, I think I got all uppity on you in the other tongues forum - I don't think I fully understood where you were coming from. oops!

Comment

Working...
                              X