On which day did God make angels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On which day did God make angels?

Angels aren't mentioned in the 6 days. But Exodus 20:11 says God made "heaven and earth and all that is in them" during the 6 days.

So which day were angels made on?

Well considering that angels aren't on earth I'm gonna say that they were created before earth.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
      Well considering that angels aren't on earth I'm gonna say that they were created before earth.
      Hi Seeking
      According to Ex20:11 heaven and earth were created during the 6 days too. So which day was earth created?

Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them...

Comment

Originally posted by Steven3 View Post
        Hi Seeking
        According to Ex20:11 heaven and earth were created during the 6 days too. So which day was earth created?

Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them...
        The Hebrew word for heaven used here is(shamayim) שמים

It means visible universe, sky, or in other words, the heavens(not Heaven).

Comment

Hmm. I'd have to say the first day. Gen 1 "In the a beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day." - ESV
          Last edited by -SEEKING-; Oct 8th 2009, 02:22 AM. Reason: added ESV
          This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

Hi Seeking,
            So you're saying angels = first day. Okay, thanks. I wonder if others have different days.

Hi Webhead
            Originally posted by webhead View Post
            The Hebrew word for heaven used here is(shamayim) שמים

It means visible universe, sky, or in other words, the heavens(not Heaven).
            Are you sure? Is there a difference? I thought shamayim (plural) was used for heaven and heavens? Does OT really distinguish heavens and heavens like we do?

Comment

Hi Seeking,
              So you're saying angels = first day. Okay, thanks. I wonder if others have different days.

Hi Webhead
              Are you sure? Is there a difference? I thought shamayim (plural) was used for heaven and heavens? Does OT really distinguish heavens and heavens like we do?
              No. I was answering your second question which had to do specifically with the earth not with angels.

Comment

Hi Webhead

Genesis chapter 2 gives the generations of the heavens and the earth that God created, and all of these generations are in the known universe. Stars, plants, mankind, etc...

Comment

Angels aren't mentioned in the 6 days.

Sure they are.

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created"

Psalms 148:1 "Praise ye the LORD from the heavens: praise him in the heights. Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created. He hath also stablished them for ever and ever; Praise the LORD from the earth"

Nehemiah 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Angels made during the Creation week, when all the heavens and earth and all their hosts were created.

Comment

Hi Webhead
                    Originally posted by webhead View Post
                    Genesis chapter 2 gives the generations of the heavens and the earth that God created, and all of these generations are in the known universe. Stars, plants, mankind, etc...

But that's my question about shamayim - don't angels belong to the known universe? ... when Exodus says "heaven... and all that is in them", that would include sun, moon and stars but not angels? Why? Psalm 148:1-4 lists God creating angels along with the sun, moon and stars

...so that's my own thinking why it might have been Day 4.

But the rabbis had all sorts of ideas, Day 1, Day 2, etc. So interested what folks here think.

Comment

Angels aren't mentioned in the 6 days. But Exodus 20:11 says God made "heaven and earth and all that is in them" during the 6 days.

I am going to venture a non-biblical answer since as you say, the Bible is not helpful on pinpointing when angels were created.

The "heaven and earth and all that is in them" would be our universe. The creation of the universe begins a space - time continuum and thus the creation of the "day", no matter how one interprets that. Since angels are spiritual beings, they could have been created before the universe was created. We do know that they were created for a purpose though, as others have pointed out. Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? Without the universe, these "messengers" would have no where or person to minister unto.

Regarding Psalms 148:1-4, angels are just among that which is created. Their existence is not a material one bound to this universe, just like God is not a material being bound to this universe.

God Bless!

ps: Is this a Socratic exercise?
                      Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Hi Webhead
                        Psalm 148:1-4 lists God creating angels along with the sun, moon and stars
                        This psalm does not mention the 6 day creation at all. It merely states that God created everything, not when or how, or in how many days?

Comment

Hi Webhead
                          But that's my question about shamayim - don't angels belong to the known universe? ... when Exodus says "heaven... and all that is in them", that would include sun, moon and stars but not angels?
                          It's speaking about the visible universe, and angels aren't visible to mankind, unless God sends them as human messengers in rare Biblical cases. And God the Father is not visible to us either, he's a spirit, just like angels are natural spirit beings.

When the OT authors spoke about the heavens, they were not talking about God and his angels living in a giant city somewhere beyond the stars. They understood that God was not an old man with a long white beard, standing on clouds, with long haired angels playing harps, and flying about the buildings having a good old time.

The OT and NT heavens are the sky, or visible universe, not Gods big house in the sky.

Comment

Hi W-in-a
                            Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                            Up to a point yes - in that the Bible clearly says God created angels, so it helps to consider the why/when/how of the available verses. But I don't think that the actual day, or possible inside/outside the 6 days is just an exercise, there's clearly a variety of views...
                            S

Hi Webhead
                            The OT and NT heavens are the sky, or visible universe, not Gods big house in the sky.
                            But who would have made this distinction prior to Copernicus? Is there any Bible verse which compares visible universe sort of shamayim with God's big house shamayim? Isn't it all one to the OT and NT?

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                              I am going to venture a non-biblical answer since as you say, the Bible is not helpful on pinpointing when angels were created.

The "heaven and earth and all that is in them" would be our universe. The creation of the universe begins a space - time continuum and thus the creation of the "day", no matter how one interprets that. Since angels are spiritual beings, they could have been created before the universe was created. We do know that they were created for a purpose though, as others have pointed out. Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation? Without the universe, these "messengers" would have no where or person to minister unto.

Regarding Psalms 148:1-4, angels are just among that which is created. Their existence is not a material one bound to this universe, just like God is not a material being bound to this universe.

God Bless!

Yes, the creation of a day would create time for us. However, I would have to disagree on two points. First, the Bible is clear that God started and stopped His work. I feel He stopped His work after the 6th day to show us that He is God. He doesn't have to start back up and say, "Oh, I forgot something here"... Second, if Satan can be held for 1000 years (Rev. 20) then angels can be held to time as well, giving credence to angels being created within the 6 days.
                              Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
                              Psalm 62:5
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X