Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bookworm14 View Post
    Both

For example, I believe that abortion is murder and would never have one, but don't believe in pushing that view on others and consider myself pro-choice.
    While I agree with this, I also know that govt has a responsibility to God to uphold righteousness and His laws. And if they do not then they and their people will suffer. And now our suffering begins because we have allowed such heinous crimes to go on. Look at Sodom and Gomorrah, they continued to live in sin, and were destroyed; but if someone came and said, hey, I will not allow this to go on anymore, then those people may have turn out ok...anything goes, leads to death. So I do believe in pushing my views on others in that respect, if I do not say "hey, this is sin" then their blood is on my hands; but if I say something, and they still choose to do this thing, then I am free, but they pay the consequences of their sin.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

I suppose abortion was a bad example because of its complex and incendiary nature.

Suffice it to say I believe strongly in separation of church and state and this leads me to a more liberal social bent.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm14 View Post
        For example, I believe that abortion is murder and would never have one, but don't believe in pushing that view on others and consider myself pro-choice.
        Do you feel the same way about people outside of the womb? You would not murder a person outside of the womb, but don't believe in pushing that view on others?

In other words, are you pro-choice toward the murder of ALL people, or just those that haven't been born yet?
        My Blog

Comment

It's really pointless to get into an abortion debate, so I'd rather not. The point of my example was to further answer the OP's question so I'd like to leave it at that.

Comment

Suit yourself.

I just have a hard time understanding how anyone can condone the murder of defenseless unborn babies.
            My Blog

Comment

guys, this is not a personal attack on one issue. Use an issue to generalize and explain what you mean or why you feel this because of Scripture, we have other threads for debate, and this womens forum is more of a safe place.

Comment

4"][[/FONT]SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I totally stand up in public for what I believe in....Jesus is my Lord and Savior, I believe that He is the son of God, born of a virgin, died on a cross and rose again and ascended into heaven. And if we believe in Him....John 3.16 then we have the gift of ever lasting life with Him in heaven. I also believe that full water baptism is important...I was baptised in 1992 in the Indian Ocean...it was amazing....

But my liberal thoughts are more along the lines of....I don't think people have to go to a church building, or thith, or believe everything in the Bible is absolutely literal, I believe there are many metaphores in the Bible that some people take as literal.

I have what I call my little...God jobs...that I believe the Lord has given me, but I don't shout about them because I don't want any praise for them, they are for Gods glory only and to do with my personal relationship with Him.

I don't have to jump up and down and scream and shout to show I'm a Christian, I try to live Christ in my day to day life and ask God to reflect His love through me to others I come across.

To me, I'm liberal.

Rocky.

Comment

It's easy enough to post in the wrong forum. I've done it often enough... the amount of times I've been at the porch - why is it women don't have conversations about weight training or long distance running?
                  Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Well, I don't believe that anybody's salvation depends on whether they take Genesis literally. Because if I believed that then I would have been saved six months before I was "truly" saved. I believed in Jesus, and He saved me... that's enough. It does seem that the longer I'm Christian the more it makes sense to believe the Bible literally... I have no problem believing that God, in His omnipotence, created the heavens and the earth in six days. But if someone disagrees on that, it doesn't mean they're not a Christian. Christ is the focus of our faith, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
                      Well, I don't believe that anybody's salvation depends on whether they take Genesis literally. Because if I believed that then I would have been saved six months before I was "truly" saved. I believed in Jesus, and He saved me... that's enough. It does seem that the longer I'm Christian the more it makes sense to believe the Bible literally... I have no problem believing that God, in His omnipotence, created the heavens and the earth in six days. But if someone disagrees on that, it doesn't mean they're not a Christian. Christ is the focus of our faith, nothing else.

A B S O L U T E L Y !!!!!

Rocky

Comment

I don't know what I am OK I walked into that one but I am still lost on the liberal defination....I think I must be a fundimentalist liberal

Comment

Are you liberally fundemental? Or fundementally liberal? A fundy liberated by the blood of Jesus?

Or all of the above?

Comment

I was in a workshop for my school district yesterday. Here's a bit of history that may shed some light on this topic:

"The Fundamentals" were a series of writings published from 1910-1915 (can now be purchased as a multi-volume set). In it, pastors wrote against modernism and promoted the fundamentals of Christianity. Those who were labeled "fundamentalist" had to adhere to the following tenants or doctrines: 1) the inerrancy of scripture, 2) the deity of Christ, 3) the substitionary atonement through Jesus Christ, 4) the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, and 5) Christ's eventual return in Glory.

They believed you could not call yourself a Christian if you didn't believe at LEAST those five doctrines. Believing those 5 things technically makes you a fundamentalist.

Now, under that umbrella, some are literalists and some aren't. A literalist believes every single word of the Bible is to be taken at face value without interpretation. A non-literalist believes that some things are symbolic, not literal, and should be interpreted for a full understanding. Some are a mix, believing some stories are literal miracles while others are meant to be decoded and interpreted (like the parables) before they can be understood for full meaning.
                            "People aren't confused by the gospel...
                            They're confused by us.
                            Jesus is the only way to God,
                            But we are not the only way to Jesus.
                            This word world doesn't need my tie, my hoodie,
                            My denomination or my translation of the Bible.
                            They just need Jesus...
                            Jesus is going to save the world,
                            But, maybe, the best thing we can do
                            Is just get out of the way."

~"What This World Needs"~
                            ~Casting Crowns ~

Tradition doesn't save you, Christ does.
                            Don't strap yourself to the Gospel.

Comment

Well, since no one defined liberal Christian, here is a pretty informative article:

http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/T...ristianity.htm
                              Come unto me all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Comment

Wow from all I read in all the posts I think I lean towards a fundy and I am mixed on the literalist ..all I know for a fact is Jesus is MY LORD AND SAVIOR I have been washed in the blood of the Lamb

Comment

Working...
                                X