Romans 14:4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romans 14:4

"NEVER follow a pastor who belittles otherís success, doubts other's motives, or criticizes other's efforts for Christ. (Rom.14:4)" by Rick Warren

Just wondering what others think of this quote, especially where non-essential issues are concerned and how does this relate to Romans 14:4?
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5
    sigpic

Originally posted by Moxie View Post
    "NEVER follow a pastor who belittles otherís success, doubts other's motives, or criticizes other's efforts for Christ. (Rom.14:4)" by Rick Warren

Just wondering what others think of this quote, especially where non-essential issues are concerned and how does this relate to Romans 14:4?
    I really wish someone else had said it.

I point to 2 Tim 3:8-9 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth, men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceede no further; for their folly shall be manifest to all men as theirs was also.

We do not want to demean the man of God. Do not judge outward success, we cannot readily know anothers motives, and if they are preaching the gospel of Christ well we must keep our hands off. Leave them to God. I think of Jimmy and Tammy Bakker how did they make out?

I am not saying we should have a part in their ministries. We must warn and urge caution when dealing with men like RW but it must be on doctrine and not on personalities, success, and the like.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Comment

Well Rom.14:4 a general principle of how to relate to any Christian.

Romans 14:4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

I don't think it's particularly about pastors, since they didn't have pastors in Paul's day, but it would be compatible with the requirements for the character criteria bishops/elders of each congregation in 1Tim3 and Titus.

Comment

This was a short discussion I had with a facebook friend and many agreed that pastors should not belittle congregants (I agree) but I was surprised at the "hands off" comments in regards to a congregant's particular area of service. I found that a little mind-boggling. First, if a pastor is leading people/helping them grow it would seem that there may be times when asking about people's motives or given constructive criticism may be warranted (done with love, of course). Second, one area of service in a church may effect another. If a member's attitude or actions is a hindrance in some way should it not be addressed in such a way so that the ministry not be compromised?
        Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
        Psalm 62:5
        sigpic

Comment

This was a short discussion I had with a facebook friend and many agreed that pastors should not belittle congregants (I agree) but I was surprised at the "hands off" comments in regards to a congregant's particular area of service. I found that a little mind-boggling. First, if a pastor is leading people/helping them grow it would seem that there may be times when asking about people's motives or given constructive criticism may be warranted (done with love, of course). Second, one area of service in a church may effect another. If a member's attitude or actions is a hindrance in some way should it not be addressed in such a way so that the ministry not be compromised?
          I think Paul agreed Romans 14.13:
          "Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way."

14 also starts by saying that we need to receive those of a weaker faith - but not to doubtful disputations. So there is a condition which sets up those who are even included in verse 4. This teaching in Romans is telling those of a stronger faith to give those of a weaker faith room to grow. Don't place more on their faith than they can handle - concentrate on edifying the weaker in faith and be careful not to condemn them with your own faith. That's how I see it.

I love how 14 ends.
          "[23] And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Comment

Working...
          X