Leaven Parable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Leaven Parable

Hi I'm new to the forum,and I have a question.

What's the true meaning of the leaven parable?

One person told me it concerns sin. Just alittle bit of sin causes more sin.

Another person said it was like the gospel being preached in the world being planted in their hearts slowly growing getting bigger and bigger.

I read in the bible leaven is used to describe something bad. Like when Jesus told his disciples to beware the leaven of the pharisees.

Which is correct?

Thank you for your help

Brad

leaven is always corruption
    Luk 13:18 Then said he, Unto what is the kingdom of God like? and whereunto shall I resemble it?
    Luk 13:19 It is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and cast into his garden; and it grew, and waxed a great tree; and the fowls of the air lodged in the branches of it.
    Luk 13:20 And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God?
    Luk 13:21 It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
    What are fowls in ALL parables according to Jesus?
    Mar 4:4 And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.

Mar 4:13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?
    Mar 4:14 The sower soweth the word.
    Mar 4:15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.
    Satan

The word of God (gospel) was corrupted in the days of the apostles.
    2Co 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
    Jesus and the apostles said this would happen. It is no surprise. There is nothing in scripture to contradict 'the church' going after false doctrine til finally reaching apostasy. There is really no legitimate way to conclude an irresistible ever increasing glorious Church throughout the age.

Question: Look at Church History. Did the Church become the greatest of trees through the doctrine of Christ/Apostles, or through corruption?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1978 View Post

Another person said it was like the gospel being preached in the world being planted in their hearts slowly growing getting bigger and bigger.

I read in the bible leaven is used to describe something bad. Like when Jesus told his disciples to beware the leaven of the pharisees.

Which is correct?

Thank you for your help

Brad
      When the Institutional church gets big and becomes full of hot air you know it has been leavened with false teaching.
      ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Thanks for the replies,I'm still learning.

Comment

To my understanding Leaven is seen as being uncleanness.

The custom is before the new harvest of the first fruits could be brought in, they would have to remove or used the last grain of the past harvest. Some Jewish family would make a game out of this to find the hidden leaven bread or grain. This is a commandment before Passover. (Exodus 12:19, Deut.16:4)

Observant Jews typically spend the weeks before Passover in a flurry of thorough housecleaning, to remove every morsel of chametz(leaven) from every part of the home.

Here in Matthew 13:33-35 Jesus tell of a woman which hid than when it was fermented it leavened the whole.

If we try to hid our sin or uncleanness it will be brought forth on that day.

Notice also on passover it is the week of unleaven bread, in Which Christ rose from the grave. Being our passover lamb and our unleaved bread which we partake in his body.Clean from any sin.(Matthew 26:26)

Comment

Beckrl,
            What you say is true and a good explanation for the Law, but regarding the leaven parable Jesus is teaching kingdom mysteries. Not things known from the law.
            Mar 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
              Beckrl,What you say is true and a good explanation for the Law, but regarding the leaven parable Jesus is teaching kingdom mysteries. Not things known from the law.
              Mar 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
              True, but all things are a foreshadow of the Messiah Jesus in which Jesus fulfills all.

Colossians 2:16-47

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday(Festival Feast day of Harvest), or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

If we look at the context of what Jesus is revealing of the kindgom of heaven it is like unto the harvest.

The parable of the soil (Matt.13:3-23)
              The parable of the wheat harvest (Matt.13:24-30,36-43)
              The parable of the mustard seed harvest (Matt.13:31-32)
              The parable of the leaven (Matt.13:33)

Therefore what is leaven, but uncleanness.
              In which Jesus fulfills in the Passover, unleaven bread and first fruits. All in one week.

How therefore shall you enter the kingdom of heaven if you hid leaven in your heart?

Comment

The meaning of the leaven in Matthew 13:33 can be understood by its context: "The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof. Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened" (Matthew 13:31-33).

In both parables, the basic idea is that the kingdom of God starts out as a very tiny thing that grows bigger over time. Just as it is a good thing that the literal tiny mustard seed grows into a big, beautiful tree, so it is a good thing that literal tiny spores of yeast can cause a lump of dough to grow until it can be baked into a delicious loaf of bread.

While the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees was their false doctrine (Matthew 16:12) and their hypocrisy (Luke 12:1), and Paul the apostle refers to the leaven of malice and wickedness (1 Corinthians 5:8), in Matthew 13:33 Jesus is referring to the good leaven of the kingdom of heaven: "The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven" (Matthew 13:33). Clearly, Jesus is not saying that the kingdom of heaven it like something evil.

The three measures of meal into which the kingdom of heaven is spread (Matthew 13:33) could be the three millennia from the time of Jesus' first coming until the end of his millennial kingdom (Revelation 20:4-6).

Regarding Matthew 13:32 and the birds of the air coming and lodging in the branches of the tree of the kingdom of heaven, while birds can sometimes represent something bad (Matthew 13:4,19), there is nothing evil about birds in themselves; indeed, they can represent something quite good in scripture (Isaiah 40:31), and their being in trees can represent how wonderful God's earthly creation is: "He sendeth the springs into the valleys, which run among the hills.*They give drink to every beast of the field: the wild asses quench their thirst. By them shall the fowls of the heaven have their habitation, which sing among the branches. He watereth the hills from his chambers: the earth is satisfied with the fruit of thy works. He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart. The trees of the LORD are full of sap; the cedars of Lebanon, which he hath planted; Where the birds make their nests: as for the stork, the fir trees are her house" (Psalms 104:10-17).

Note the reference also to the good "bread which strengtheneth man's heart" (Psalms 104:15), similar to how Jesus followed the parable of the tree with the parable of the making of bread (Matthew 13:32-33). These are good things, wonderful things, just as in Psalms 104:10-17. They refer to God's wonderful work in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckrl View Post
                  True, but all things are a foreshadow of the Messiah Jesus in which Jesus fulfills all.

Colossians 2:16-47

16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday(Festival Feast day of Harvest), or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

If we look at the context of what Jesus is revealing of the kindgom of heaven it is like unto the harvest.

The parable of the soil (Matt.13:3-23)
                  The parable of the wheat harvest (Matt.13:24-30,36-43)
                  The parable of the mustard seed harvest (Matt.13:31-32)
                  The parable of the leaven (Matt.13:33)

Therefore what is leaven, but uncleanness.
                  In which Jesus fulfills in the Passover, unleaven bread and first fruits. All in one week.

How therefore shall you enter the kingdom of heaven if you hid leaven in your heart?
                  I've entered the kingdom of God already by His grace through faith in Him. I don't enter (future) by works.
                  Again, Jesus fulfilling the law has nothing to do with the leaven parables saying devils lodge in its branches and it grows as a result.

You can call leaven sin/corruption/unclean/false doctrine, whatever but the point here is that the kingdom puffs up because of leaven just like bread. How, in this context, does that relate to the unleavened bread of life that fulfilled the law?

There are tares (children of the wicked on) sown by the devil with that wheat!
                  There's no harvest in the mustard seed parable.

Comment

Which is correct?

Thank you for your help

Brad
                    Many of His Disciples didn't understand what the leaven was... at that time.. but the 'leaven' of the parable is the 'corrupted teaching' of those religious leaders of His Day.. those whose corrupted teachings were thought and believed to be 'truth'.. and they exorcised these teachings on the multitudes yet they themselves never followed them completely.. Jesus exposed their hypocrisy...

Jesus really distinquished the 'source' of their teaching when He publickly rebuked them.. calling them the sons of satan, their outward appearance indeed appeared 'righteous'.. but within full of extortion and excess and uncleanness... this pointing towards spiritual corruption.. whose source is the devil himself.. as he always corrupts and distorts the Truth... as he never abode in the Truth.. and he is the father of lies...

and he mixes the Truth with his lies to make it appear as it were Truth...

This still goes on today.. and one does not have to go very far to see it in full bloom.. look at TV and listen to the Radio... so much of it out there.. that distorts the Simple Gospel of Jesus the Christ... thru subtility and entrapment thru massive theological doctrines and religous rules.. which Justify man thru his/her own works... esptablishing their own righteousnesss.. other than the Pure Righteousness which comes thru Faith and Belief in what Jesus the Christ has completed on Calvary.. while hanging on the Bloody Tree... It is Finsihed!

this is a 'heart issue'.. and the core of it lies there...

one is either led by the Holy Ghost and taught by the Helper.. who will lead you into all Truth..

or one is led by the spirit of disobedience... this representative in the wicked and the religious tares , satan has planted.... and by the looks of it.. he's been pretty busy...

Little ones.. beware the 'leaven'.... or the teaching of those who would want to draw you away from the Simplicity of Christ and His Message.. and what He has Done for you..
                    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                    Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Leaven is not always "corruption" in scripture. That is making a generalization that is not true in every instance.

Leaven is simply that which has the ability to permeate everything. The parable in Matthew 13 does not contain any negative connotation.

I find it hard to believe that Jesus would say "The kingdom of heaven is like corruption that permeates everything."

That's just nuts.

Comment

I have to agree with Rabbiknife. "Leaven" is not always in the context of corrupt.

We find in Matthew 13:33, Jesus makes reference to leaven. We must remember that those who sat at His feet had the 5 books of Moses memorized, and probably most of the Prophets and other writings by age 14, so that anytime a sage brought up a key word or phrase, these passages came to mind (they didn't have chapter and verse in those days). The people that sat at Jesus' feet lived and breathed these Scriptures, and literally read (actually canted) them aloud in the Synagogues every Saturday. Also, teaching by parable was a very common rabbinic method used in Jesus' time, and anyone listening to a parable from a sage like Jesus would immediately be listening for key words or phrases. Jesus wouldn't have had to go back and read, line by line, the Scriptures He was referring to, as Pastors find they need to do these days. Everyone was a layman - at least in the written Scriptures.

In this parable, Jesus was referring to Genesis 18:6. The women may have understood better than the men that three measures would have made 50 pounds of bread. Quite a feast for three visitors indeed (one of them being the LORD). Quite a sacrifical act of worship is being referred to here, alluding to the character of Abraham (and Sarah).

Of course there is much deeper meaning to this parable. Leaven plays an important part here, but sin is not it. Before we can get there, we need to be on the same Scriptual path as Jesus as we sit as His feet.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                          Leaven is not always "corruption" in scripture. That is making a generalization that is not true in every instance.
                          Can you show us where it is not?

Leaven is simply that which has the ability to permeate everything.
                          Yeah, like sin and corruption! That's why leaven is used!
                          1Co 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Gal 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Mat 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
                          What else permeates everything? Man rejects truth and righteousness loving darkness rather than light.

The parable in Matthew 13 does not contain any negative connotation.
                          It doesn't? You do realize Jesus doesn't change His message throughout the chapter don't you? Tell me you don't see anything negative here
                          Mat 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
                          Mat 13:5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
                          Mat 13:6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
                          Mat 13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

Mat 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
                          Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
                          Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
                          Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Mat 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
                          Mat 13:20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
                          Mat 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
                          Mat 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

Mat 13:25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

Mat 13:28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
                          Mat 13:29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
                          Mat 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Mat 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
                          Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
                          Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
                          Mat 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
                          Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
                          Mat 13:48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
                          Mat 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
                          Mat 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I find it hard to believe that Jesus would say "The kingdom of heaven is like corruption that permeates everything."

That's just nuts.
                          So now why is this nuts? All the above describe the kingdom of heaven, do they not?

Question: Look at Church History. Did the Church become the greatest of trees through the doctrine of Christ/Apostles, or through corruption?

So,
                          Mat 13:51 Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord.
                          Mat 13:52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

Comment

An example of where leaven is not always "corruption" in scripture would be Leviticus 23:16-17, where the two loaves of the feast of Pentecost had to be leavened. Also, in Leviticus 7:13, God commands another offering of leavened bread. The basic idea of leaven is in no way evil in itself; it simply is something that permeates and changes something else.

Because the false doctrine and hypocrisy of the Pharisees and the Sadducees had permeated and changed how the Jews understood and practiced their religion, Jesus could refer to the false doctrine and hypocrisy of the Pharisees and the Sadducees as being like leaven (Matthew 16:12, Luke 12:1). Similarly, because malice and wickedness in only one or a few Christians in a church congregation can permeate and change the entire church congregation for ill, Paul the apostle could refer to malice and wickedness as being like leaven (1 Corinthians 5:8). Also, because if only one or a few Christians in a church congregation start teaching the false doctrine that the Church has to get circumcised and keep the Mosaic law, this can change an entire church congregation for ill, Paul also referred to the false doctrine that the Church has to get circumcised and keep the Mosaic law as being like leaven (Galatians 5:4-14).

But these are only examples of how leaven can be employed to represent something bad that permeates and changes something else for ill. The fact that Leviticus 23:16-17 says that the two loaves of the feast of Pentecost had to be leavened suggests that leaven could also be employed as a type of something good that permeates and changes something else for good: the Holy Ghost, who came upon the Church at the feast of Pentecost (Acts 2). The two leavened loaves of Pentecost (Leviticus 23:16-17) could have typified how the Holy Ghost would eventually come upon both Jewish believers and Gentile believers (Acts 10:45). Because "the kingdom of God is within you" (Luke 17:21) and "the kingdom of God is... righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost" (Romans 14:17) and the Holy Ghost permeates and changes people for good (Titus 3:5), Jesus could say that "The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven" (Matthew 13:33). In that parable, the woman could represent the Church spreading the Holy Ghost to others through the laying on of hands (Acts 8:17, Acts 19:6).

Comment

Originally posted by Bible2 View Post
                              An example of where leaven is not always "corruption" in scripture would be Leviticus 23:16-17, where the two loaves of the feast of Pentecost had to be leavened. Also, in Leviticus 7:13, God commands another offering of leavened bread.
                              No. Leaven is corruption here.

The basic idea of leaven is in no way evil in itself;
                              Simply not true.

it simply is something that permeates and changes something else.
                              Yup

Because the false doctrine and hypocrisy of the Pharisees and the Sadducees had permeated and changed how the Jews understood and practiced their religion, Jesus could refer to the false doctrine and hypocrisy of the Pharisees and the Sadducees as being like leaven (Matthew 16:12, Luke 12:1). Similarly, because malice and wickedness in only one or a few Christians in a church congregation can permeate and change the entire church congregation for ill, Paul the apostle could refer to malice and wickedness as being like leaven (1 Corinthians 5:8). Also, because if only one or a few Christians in a church congregation start teaching the false doctrine that the Church has to get circumcised and keep the Mosaic law, this can change an entire church congregation for ill, Paul also referred to the false doctrine that the Church has to get circumcised and keep the Mosaic law as being like leaven (Galatians 5:4-14).
                              Correct, and so is taught by Christ in the leaven parables, as is seen throughout Church History. The Church follows after Israel's example of turning what God gave into something else entirely.

The fact that Leviticus 23:16-17 says that the two loaves of the feast of Pentecost had to be leavened suggests that leaven could also be employed as a type of something good that permeates and changes something else for good: the Holy Ghost, who came upon the Church at the feast of Pentecost (Acts 2). The two leavened loaves of Pentecost (Leviticus 23:16-17) could have typified how the Holy Ghost would eventually come upon both Jewish believers and Gentile believers (Acts 10:45)
                              The Spirit takes up residence in sinners to make the Church and change us into the image of Christ. While that is a glorious thing, the leaven represents sin here.

Because "the kingdom of God is within you" (Luke 17:21)
                              Jesus said that to the pharisees before the cross and resurrection, before the Spirit was given.

Jesus could say that "The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven" (Matthew 13:33). In that parable, the woman could represent the Church spreading the Holy Ghost to others through the laying on of hands (Acts 8:17, Acts 19:6).
                              Jesus said these two together in the context of what is said both before and after.
                              Mat 13:31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
                              Mat 13:32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.
                              Mat 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
                              The birds/fowls (same greek word) are the wicked one/Satan, according to Jesus.
                              Mat 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

Mat 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

Comment

Working...
                              X