The first shall be last and the last shall be first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first shall be last and the last shall be first

The Lord Jesus often said this phrase "the first shall be last and the last shall be first". We see this pattern throughout the scriptures.

It is not the first Adam but the last Adam.
    It is not the first born Esau (i.e. the flesh) but the last born Jacob (i.e. the spiritual birth)
    Not the first King of Israel (Saul) but the last king of Israel (Jesus)
    Not the first testament but the last testament.

This pattern can be seen throughout the scriptures. Today, I was reading a devotion and the writer was talking about how the Lord loved cities. Well this got my attention because I know the first city in scripture was built by Cain. The world was to have been filled with men but Cain, being disobedient, built a city. And from that day to this, cities have been filled with rebellion towards God. But the author was focused on the love God had for cities, and went on to mention that God was going to build a city. Of course, he was talking about the New Jerusalem!

So now we have another last and first. All of man's kingdoms will fall. But the last one will remain. Man built the first city, but God will build the last. What a great reason to be thankful today.

And if you're interested, the first kingdom mentioned in scripture was built by a rebellious man. But the last kingdom is being built and will be built by the most obedient person every, the Lord Jesus.

God bless!
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

You raise an interesting point about the scriptures..
    David was the overlooked son.
    Moses was the adopted son.
    Joseph was the abandoned son.
    Jesus was the Son of God born into poverty and of no reputation.
    And on and on and on.

God is all about redemption and the last being first.

Comment

Your topic reminds me of a couple posts I made some time back (I'll only post one of them, so as not to be too lengthy) :

[quoting that post]

Acts 3:21 [speaking to "ye men of Israel," v.12 (unsaved persons as noted in v.13-15,17,19)] then states: "whom indeed it behooves heaven to receive until the times of restoration of all things of which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from the age." [in contrast to that which He had theretofore kept "hidden in God"/was as yet undisclosed]

In vv.13 and 26 the phrase "His Servant Jesus" (they had not been expecting the "suffering servant" aspects of His Person, only the "reigning-in-power King" aspects, though both aspects had been prophesied in the OT; chpt 3's point is Peter telling them they'd overlooked the former of these two aspects ['His Suffering Servant'], and thus had a hand [themselves] in fulfilling that very thing, vv.13-15), but this was not saying that "everything" was at this point in time (the time of Acts 3) fully fulfilled; and...

...there are TWO "raise" senses spoken of in Acts 3... v.15 speaking of His being "raised from the dead," but the other being "raised" to a position of prominence BEFORE His death (that is, to the position of 'a Prophet like unto Moses'...'raise up unto you of your brethren like unto me [/Moses]; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you' and 'UNTO YOU *FIRST* God, having raised up [to a position of prominence BEFORE His death] His Servant Jesus, SENT him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities'). The "ALL things which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets" (meaning, OT prophecies) have not yet been fully fulfilled, but remain for a yet-future time (and I believe Joel is one such prophecy).

note: the word "King" is only used [re: Jesus] TWO times in all of the epistles, and both of them are "future" [see Rev19:15b still speaking in "future tense"], 1Tim6:15 being one of those two times, says, "which IN HIS TIMES He SHALL SHEW [openly manifest], who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords" [<--this latter phrase found only elsewhere in Rev19 and in the reverse order in Rev17--in contexts surrounding the Subject of His Second Coming to the earth FOR the promised and prophesied EARTHLY Millennial Kingdom]

[end quoting that post]

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
        The Lord Jesus often said this phrase "the first shall be last and the last shall be first". We see this pattern throughout the scriptures.

It is not the first Adam but the last Adam.
        It is not the first born Esau (i.e. the flesh) but the last born Jacob (i.e. the spiritual birth)
        Not the first King of Israel (Saul) but the last king of Israel (Jesus)
        Not the first testament but the last testament.

This pattern can be seen throughout the scriptures. Today, I was reading a devotion and the writer was talking about how the Lord loved cities. Well this got my attention because I know the first city in scripture was built by Cain. The world was to have been filled with men but Cain, being disobedient, built a city. And from that day to this, cities have been filled with rebellion towards God. But the author was focused on the love God had for cities, and went on to mention that God was going to build a city. Of course, he was talking about the New Jerusalem!

So now we have another last and first. All of man's kingdoms will fall. But the last one will remain. Man built the first city, but God will build the last. What a great reason to be thankful today.

And if you're interested, the first kingdom mentioned in scripture was built by a rebellious man. But the last kingdom is being built and will be built by the most obedient person every, the Lord Jesus.

God bless!
        You are not wrong. Scripture talks often of the first and the last. But there is a specific phrase to this effect that only occurs three times:
        1. Matthew 20:16; "So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen."
        2. Mark 10:31; "But many that are first shall be last; and the last first."
        3. Luke 13:30; "And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last."
        All three concern the Kingdom (Matthew 20:1, Mark 10:23, Luke 13:18-29). The word "last" can mean "last in time", but it also means "last in rank". And the word "first" can mean "first in time", but it also means "first in importance". Since the context is the Kingdom - an issue of government, the meaning is more than likely "fist and last in importance". This is strengthened by the Lord saying in;

Matthew 25:40, which concerns His Kingdom, "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Matthew 11:11 and Luke 7:28, also concerning the kingdom; "Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

The lesson to be learned, I judge, is that while the Lord treats all the same in matters of salvation, He does not do so in His Kingdom. There, works and performance are REWARDED with higher rank or importance. Or even, such a low rank that, that it becomes an embarrassment. In Luke 19:12-26 we read of the Lord's servants in the matters of the KINGDOM;

12 "He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
        13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
        15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.
        16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.
        17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
        18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.
        19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.
        24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds.
        25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)
        For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him."

It is one thing to be saved from sins and the Lake of Fire and become a servant. It is fully another matter how one serves.

Comment

Wall's.... Every verse doesn't apply to the coming kingdom alone.

For instance, in these scriptures , Christ is pointing out to his disciples that it is of greater honor in the eyes of God to serve, instead of being served. Can you at least agree that this is an element of these scriptures ? Particularly in Mark 10 ? Look at the context of the disciples arguing over who would be greatest in the kingdom ? Christ was showing them that it was their humility and service in the here and now that mattered. That is was / is greater to serve. They had a flawed viewpoint of the kingdom, as many do. Jesus was showing them that their zeal for the kingdom was taking precedence of their love for God and others.
          Last edited by Pbminimum; Nov 27th 2019, 11:03 PM. Reason: a little harsh sounding Walls. Sorry for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pbminimum View Post
            Wall's.... do you relate every single scripture in the bible with the kingdom doctrine you present constantly ? No matter the thread, no matter the discussion, no matter the verses being mentioned , it's the same reply. It's become so common that even when it does apply, it can get dismissed because it's constantly mentioned.
            Does not the Parable of the Sower says that although the "word of the Kingdom was sown in their hearts" it bore no fruit in three of four cases? Of course it will be dismissed. There will be those who actively encourage other brothers to dismiss it.

Luke 16:16: "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it."

The Kingdom is the REASON we are saved. But notice the word "presses". While salvation is a free gift, the Kingdom must be gained by forceful effort on the man's part. The Greek for "presses" is "biazō", meaning; "to force, i.e. (reflex.) to crowd oneself (into), or (passive) to be seized :- press, suffer violence" (Strong's Greek & Hebrew Dictionary).

Comment

Most importantly, they all apply to the kingdom that has come. We can, in His kingdom that is here now, rule and reign with One Christ Jesus. And for now, that matters most. Rule rightly here, and all else takes care of itself. We can rule over our flesh, over sin, over our circumstances with Jesus.

That, IMO, is the kingdom that Jesus preached and it is the one I think we should focus on the most... to be kings with Jesus now and rule in life with Him now. Then later, we can get a crown of life (crowns are for kings) that we place at His feet. For He is the King of Kings and for me (and I believe for you too), that means I am a king in His service and He rules in my heart as He does in yours. And as we look to Him, we as kings, can rule in life! What a glorious kingdom that is to be a part of!

God bless PB and thank you for joining in.
              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
              NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post

Does not the Parable of the Sower says that although the "word of the Kingdom was sown in their hearts" it bore no fruit in three of four cases? Of course it will be dismissed. There will be those who actively encourage other brothers to dismiss it.

Luke 16:16: "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it."

The Kingdom is the REASON we are saved. But notice the word "presses". While salvation is a free gift, the Kingdom must be gained by forceful effort on the man's part. The Greek for "presses" is "biazō", meaning; "to force, i.e. (reflex.) to crowd oneself (into), or (passive) to be seized :- press, suffer violence" (Strong's Greek & Hebrew Dictionary).
                My brother, may I suggest that even the kingdom is a gift? Is it possible that men are violent with the kingdom because they want the benefits of the kingdom but do not want to submit to the King? The religous crowd of Jesus day were afraid of losing their place and thus, killed the Son of the vineyard Owner wanting the inheritance for themselves. The kingdom of heaven suffers violence and the violent take it by force. Yet, we are commanded to be gentle as doves. We do not need to fight for the kingdom. Rather, we fight against the evil one and our own tendancies to bring them into submission to the King and His Kingdom. But the kingdom itself, it is given to us.

Jesus said of the kingdom:

Luke 12:31 "But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. 32 "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.
                NASU

Comment

The kingdom is what we are save into. The reason we are saved is the blood of Christ alone. And unfortunately "forceful effort on man's part" is another description of the flesh. The Spirit is what propels us , not flesh.

Comment

Most importantly, they all apply to the kingdom that has come. We can, in His kingdom that is here now, rule and reign with One Christ Jesus. And for now, that matters most. Rule rightly here, and all else takes care of itself. We can rule over our flesh, over sin, over our circumstances with Jesus.

That, IMO, is the kingdom that Jesus preached and it is the one I think we should focus on the most... to be kings with Jesus now and rule in life with Him now. Then later, we can get a crown of life (crowns are for kings) that we place at His feet. For He is the King of Kings and for me (and I believe for you too), that means I am a king in His service and He rules in my heart as He does in yours. And as we look to Him, we as kings, can rule in life! What a glorious kingdom that is to be a part of!

Amen and I agree 100%. Adrian Rodgers has a book called Kingdom Authority and it's about what you're speaking of here. It's a good read.

Comment

For instance, in these scriptures , Christ is pointing out to his disciples that it is of greater honor in the eyes of God to serve, instead of being served. Can you at least agree that this is an element of these scriptures ? Particularly in Mark 10 ? Look at the context of the disciples arguing over who would be greatest in the kingdom ? Christ was showing them that it was their humility and service in the here and now that mattered. That is was / is greater to serve. They had a flawed viewpoint of the kingdom, as many do. Jesus was showing them that their zeal for the kingdom was taking precedence of their love for God and others.
                      OK. The passage is not about the Kingdom. I'll remove the word "Kingdom" from the text.

But, sarcasm aside, in the friendliest way possible, not implying anything, I would like to point out that in the Parable of the Sower, which was disputed at length, the first company who "had the word of the kingdom sown in their hearts", had it plucked away by an enemy of the Lord whom He calls "the wicked one". May I ask why you have so vehemently opposed "the word of the kingdom" I teach? If you go through all my postings that mention the Kingdom, you will see that I ALWAYS have expounded scriptures that had the word "Kingdom" in it, and which even had the Kingdom as the theme. Here, the three scriptures that contained the phrase "the first shall be last and the last shall be first", ALL pertain to the Kingdom - and you have opposed it again.

OK. Your focus is not on the kingdom. It is on salvation. Would you care, if you have time, to list the verses where our Lord preached, or taught, salvation. I have not done a comprehensive search, but I find, in the gospels, NINE times where the preaching of the Lord was the Kingdom, but not one where our Lord gave a discourse on salvation. In John He mentions being "saved" about three times. Could it be that God's plan is dominion by men in God's image and likeness, and that the removal of our sins, rebirth, baptism, self-denial, transformation into the image of Christ and resurrection are ALL for the ultimate goal of the Kingdom?

Comment

Hey brother, could you perhaps give me scriptures for this change of Kingdom? From Genesis, through Daniel, through the teaching of our Lord Jesus, through the teaching of the Apostles, the Kingdom was always; who will have dominion over the earth, the nations, and the serpent.

I am also perplexed as to why you say that we rule over the flesh now. My Bible says the following in Galatians 5:17; "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would." It also says that the only solution for the flesh is to put it to death.

Comment

Good topic. I do agree that the notion is about learning to put others 1st, and ourselves last. This is a basic principle of God's Kingdom, that men should serve, and not dictate. It is a principle of God's Kingdom that we take orders from God, and not try to give Him orders!

The Kingdom of God and Salvation are, I believe, one and the same. The Kingdom of God represents the ideal--the way men were created to be in society, under the leadership of God. Since the Fall of Man, God's purpose is to bring Mankind back into the Kingdom of God, from which they have fallen. To learn obedience, as opposed to rebellion, is the idea. And in the practical sense of relationships in society, we need to listen more and speak less.

Comment

OK. The passage is not about the Kingdom. I'll remove the word "Kingdom" from the text.

But, sarcasm aside, in the friendliest way possible, not implying anything, I would like to point out that in the Parable of the Sower, which was disputed at length, the first company who "had the word of the kingdom sown in their hearts", had it plucked away by an enemy of the Lord whom He calls "the wicked one". May I ask why you have so vehemently opposed "the word of the kingdom" I teach? If you go through all my postings that mention the Kingdom, you will see that I ALWAYS have expounded scriptures that had the word "Kingdom" in it, and which even had the Kingdom as the theme. Here, the three scriptures that contained the phrase "the first shall be last and the last shall be first", ALL pertain to the Kingdom - and you have opposed it again.

OK. Your focus is not on the kingdom. It is on salvation. Would you care, if you have time, to list the verses where our Lord preached, or taught, salvation. I have not done a comprehensive search, but I find, in the gospels, NINE times where the preaching of the Lord was the Kingdom, but not one where our Lord gave a discourse on salvation. In John He mentions being "saved" about three times. Could it be that God's plan is dominion by men in God's image and likeness, and that the removal of our sins, rebirth, baptism, self-denial, transformation into the image of Christ and resurrection are ALL for the ultimate goal of the Kingdom?
                            The parable was about showing the disciples the posture of their HEART instead of their focus ON the kingdom Walls... Sort of like what's happening here , and now. Think about it...

How much does Walls have to do to reach his version of the kingdom ?

When was the last time you tithed 10% and then gave your offering ?
                            When is the last person that you have shared the Gospel with and they received it ?
                            And on and on....

See what I mean ?

Comment

Concerning salvation and the kingdom... Why separate them ? Luke 4 vs. 16-21 shows us how they are working together Walls. The kingdom is the reward of those who follow Christ. They are adopted into it.. we become heirs UPON salvation , sons, family. Ephesians 1 / 5. This is what Brother Mark is speaking of ( I believe). It's not something to come... it's already happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X