Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking.

Is smoking a sin?
    Last edited by angelmike; Jan 25th 2020, 06:51 PM.

Originally posted by angelmike View Post
    Is smoking a sin?
    No. All the creature is good. God made tobacco and if it is used with discipline, like everything else, it does a man good. If abused, like everything else, it damages the man.

1st Timothy 4:4-5:

4 "For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
    5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."

(Note that in this context, forbidding tobacco is a doctrine of demons (v.1))

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post

No. All the creature is good. God made tobacco and if it is used with discipline, like everything else, it does a man good. If abused, like everything else, it damages the man.

1st Timothy 4:4-5:

4 "For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

(Note that in this context, forbidding tobacco is a doctrine of demons (v.1))
      Do you really think you can sanctify tobacco? Many have already had cancer. Others were killed by it. Doctors themselves confirm how bad tobacco is for the body. Remember that the Holy Spirit must now dwell in a temple that is rotting with stinking tobacco. And when is tobacco sanctified and by whom? 1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
      1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, God shall destroy him; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Comment

Do you really think you can sanctify tobacco? Many have already had cancer. Others were killed by it. Doctors themselves confirm how bad tobacco is for the body. Remember that the Holy Spirit must now dwell in a temple that is rotting with stinking tobacco. And when is tobacco sanctified and by whom? 1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
        1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, God shall destroy him; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
        If your mind is made up then why ask the question? Do you believe everything you are told from the media? Do you have a scripture that says herbs and plants can not be sanctified? Did God have incense and smoke in the temple?

In the Jewish 613 commandments...smoking is not mentioned.

I would agree with Walls.

Comment

Personally I don't smoke and hate everything about it. It's not natural to inhale smoke into your lungs. In other words, you have to force yourself to do it—in the beginning at least.

Native Americans use tobacco to commune with the spirits (demons really).

There may be some health benefits to smoking. But do these out-way the dangers?

Whenever I see someone coming out of a church and lighting up it makes me wonder what in the world they're learning in there. "Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me, but I will not be mastered by anything."—1 Corinthians 6:12.

Paul told Timothy to "take a little wine for your stomach" so we should be careful about making blanket statements. The question I have is: Is smoking necessary? If not, then why do it or teach others it's okay. Maybe your liberty will cause a weaker person to stumble. Paul said, in 1 Corinthians 8:13: "Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall." Whatever happened to this principle?
          Love is patient, love is kind. . .

Comment

1Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I smoked for decades and I always had a bad feeling about it. I have no right to destroy the body, which God has given me.
            And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Comment

Originally posted by David ben Jesse View Post
              1Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

I smoked for decades and I always had a bad feeling about it. I have no right to destroy the body, which God has given me.
              The day I repented, God saved me from smoking. A year later I fall back into the bad habits of the world. I started smoking again and was so bonded with tobacco that it took a lot of prayer and tears to be free again. Today I pity people who were caught in this trap. May God bless you abundantly.

Comment

Thank You for the blessings, Angelmike. May God bless You, too.
                And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Comment

it will probably be tied it into the Millennial Kingdom somehow. No joke.

Comment

Originally posted by David ben Jesse View Post

And neither does anyone else. Nicotine is extremely addictive, so the thought that it's good "in moderation" is flawed.. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Is smoking a sin?
                      Sin is breaking God's law and he doesn't mention smoking in any laws.

People cooking with fire breathe lots of smoke when cooking. Happens to me when I BBQ or have a fire in a firepit and cook things or just the wind makes the smoke go and I breathe it in...breathing smoke is bad for you no matter what kind of smoke it is but people willingly do things that end up putting smoke in the lungs. It may be dumb but I don't see it listed as a sin in the bible.
                      James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

You said it: we aren't called to be dumb but wise.

Comment

You did not address one of my arguments - a pity. It would have kept the discussion on a Biblical level. As to your (emotional) objections:

The Great God of this universe, in His wisdom, creativity and power, made all things in nature. Who are you to question Him? Who are you to sit in judgement of the Living God? Who are you to attribute evil to His creature. Where were you when God created tobacco and when he declared it to be "GOOD" (Gen.1:12). You take much upon yourself to decide for the Living God Who breathed out a trillion stars. We have been promised by God in Matthew 12:36, "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." If I was in your boots now I think I would have a bad case of diarrhea. Imagine the audacity of scolding Jehovah.

I do not have to sanctify tobacco. The Holy Spirit says that it IS sanctified by His WORD, and doubly so when we give thanks for it. Your attempt to place this burden on me is an overthrow of the plain Word of God - AND to declare your disbelief in His Word.

You complain about the odor of tobacco as a hindrance to God dwelling in man? What of the sin-nature of Adam that you carry 24/7? What of your "daily" trespasses? Angry at God because He made tobacco? Do you not know that to be angry with a man WITHOUT CAUSE makes you a murderer (Matt.5:22). THAT ... is defiling to the Temple of God! What then of a man who is angry AT GOD without a cause? Tobacco has it odor, but so does coffee and man's sweat, urine and feces. On what basis do you call an odor as defiling to the Temple of God? Shall we accuse God then for the odor of our bowel waste? It is God, because of the Work of Jesus Christ, that sanctifies a fallen man to be His Temple. 1st Corinthians 6:11 says; "And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." Who are you to refute this because a man smokes a cigar a day and thanks God for it?

You did not out and out forbid it, but you are close. 1 Timothy 4:1-5 reads;

1 "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of demons;
                          3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
                          4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

The word "meats" is mainly food in its usage, but means everything that we can consume. It is defined by the next verse "that creature of God that is taken". Now, let us pit your words against those of God. God said in
                          Genesis 2:16; "And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat."
                          Genesis 9:3; "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things."

I would be very careful of what I said about allowing and refusing God's creature. Declaring it a sin and forbidding it would be a doctrine that you don't want to be found holding to and teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Pbminimum View Post

And neither does anyone else. Nicotine is extremely addictive, so the thought that it's good "in moderation" is flawed.. Thanks for sharing.
                            The question was, "Is smoking a sin?" Once again you misread the question - a very short one in plain English. As it turns out, the question was rhetorical as the brother had already decided. But he did not show it a sin by God's Word. And yet you agree with him? If you were really seeking truth you would have accosted him for his scriptures that declare the consumption of tobacco a sin. Are you seeking God's mind on this, or are you .... never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
                              Where were you when God created tobacco and when he declared it to be "GOOD" (Gen.1:12).
                              God also declared Oleander and Castor Beans good. Does that mean we should consume them? In terms of deaths, tobacco kills more people per year than either of the other two combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X