Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The covenant with Abraham, when an what.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The covenant with Abraham, when an what.

When was the covenant made with Abraham and what is it?

Gal 3:17 KJV And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. This covenant was made 430. years before the exodus. So what is this covenant? To answer this question, I want to look at the specific of when it was made, 430 years to the day, after they came out of Egypt. Did the children of Israel dwell in Egypt for 430 years? To answer that question let's look at a particular lineage of Abraham.

Moses was the son of Amram, which was the son of Kohath, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, 7 generations. Here is what we know.

1. Abram left Haran when he was 75.
    Gen 12:4-5 KJV So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran. And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.

2. When Abraham was 86, Ishmael was born.

Gen 16:16 KJV And Abram was fourscore and six years old, when Hagar bare Ishmael to Abram.

3. When Abraham was 99, God sent an angel to pre-announce the birth of Isaac,

Gen 17:1 KJV And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

4a. When Abraham was 100, Isaac was born.

Gen 21:5 KJV And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.

4b. When Isaac was weaned (at about age 5), Hagar & Ishmael were sent away.

Gen 21:8-9 KJV And the child grew, and was weaned: and Abraham made a great feast the same day that Isaac was weaned. And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, which she had born unto Abraham, mocking.

5. Thy seed, beginning with Isaac, shall be afflicted (dwelling in a land that is not theirs) for 400 years,

Gen 15:13 KJV And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;

6. Jacob/Esau were born when Isaac was 60 years old,

Gen 25:26 KJV And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau's heel; and his name was called Jacob: and Isaac was threescore years old when she bare them.

7.Jacob was 130 when he took his family to Egypt,

Gen 47:8-9 KJV And Pharaoh said unto Jacob, How old art thou? And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.

8. Joseph was made ruler in Egypt when he was 30. This was 9 years [7 years of plenty and 2 years of famine] before Jacob moved to Egypt. Therefore, Joseph, 39, was born when Jacob was 91 years old.

Gen 41:46 KJV And Joseph was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh, and went throughout all the land of Egypt.

9..All of the sons of Jacob, except Benjamin, was born to him, during the 20 years that Jacob dwelt in the land of Padan-aram with his father in law, Laban, namely between years 7 [when Jacob, 84 married Leah] and year 20.

Gen 31:3 KJV And the LORD said unto Jacob, Return unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy kindred; and I will be with thee.
    Gen 31:38 This twenty years have I been with thee; thy ewes and thy she goats have not cast their young, and the rams of thy flock have I not eaten.

10. Levi, the 3rd son of Jacob and Leah, was probably born when Jacob was 87. This would make him 43 years old when Jacob went to Egypt. The 3 sons of Levi, Gershom Kohath and Merari were among those that went to Egypt.

Gen 46:11 KJV And the sons of Levi; Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.

11. Levi died at age 137,

Exo 6:16 KJV And these are the names of the sons of Levi according to their generations; Gershon, and Kohath, and Merari: and the years of the life of Levi were an hundred thirty and seven years.

12.. Kohath died at age 133, Exo 6:18.

Exo 6:18 KJV And the sons of Kohath; Amram, and Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel: and the years of the life of Kohath were an hundred thirty and three years.

13..Amram lived to age 137, Exo 6:20.

Exo 6:20 KJV And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years.

14. Even as Kohath was among those that went into Egypt, Amram was among those who were living when they came out of Egypt

Num 3:15 KJV Number the children of Levi after the house of their fathers, by their families: every male from a month old and upward shalt thou number them.
    Num 3:19 KJV And the sons of Kohath by their families; Amram, and Izehar, Hebron, and Uzziel.

15. God told Abraham that the children of Israel would come out (of Egypt) in tee 4th generation, [Jacob,Levi, Kohath,Amram]

Gen 15:16 KJV But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

Let us review.
    1. Abram was 75 when he entered Canaan.
    2. Isaac was born 25 years later.
    3. Jacob was born 60 years after that.
    4. Levi was born 87 years after that.
    5. Jacob went to Egypt 43 years after that. Summation: Jacob went to Egypt 215 years AFTER Abraham entered Canaan. The sojournings of Abraham and children of Jacob totaled 430. Years. Because Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were dwelling in a land that was not yet theirs, the land of Canaan is included in their sojournings:

Exo 12:40 LXXE And the sojourning of the children of Israel, while they sojourned in the land of Egypt and the land of Chanaan, was four hundred and thirty years.

This means that Jacob went to Egypt 215 years (430 minus 215) BEFORE the exodus. Because Kohath is the 2nd born son of Levi, 43, this means that his age would mostly likely be no more than 13 at the time that Jacob went to Egypt. He lived at least 120 years in Egypt [133 - 13].
    Because the son of Amram [Moses] was 80 at the time of the Exodus, this means that Amram lived at least 80 years in Egypt. Because he is Moses ' father, this number can be raised to at least 100 to 120 years. [Amram was probably between 20 and 40 years old, but not more than 57, when Moses was born]. If we here use the minimum of the last 100 years before the exodus, and the minimum of the [first] 120 years that Kohath lived in Egypt, for a total of 220 years [120 at the beginning, and 100 at the end OF THE 215 years spent in Egypt], this means that Kohath died 5 years after Amram was born [220 - 215], and was thus 128 years old [133 - 5] when Amram was born... very highly unlikely.

Let us then use the other extremes of ages for Kohath and Amram. Let's say that Kohath was 1 year old when he went to Egypt [132 years in Egypt] and Amram was 136 when they left Egypt.

This adds to 268 years. This means that Amram would be [268-215] 53 years old when Kohath died, i.e. Kohath was, [at least] 80 years old when Amram was born [133-53].

This is very much inline with the ages of Abraham, 86 and Jacob, 84, when they fathered children for the 1st time. It is not their ages that makes the birth of Isaac a spectacular event, [Sarah laughed], but it was the age of Sarah [90] when he was born. Being that Sarah died at age 127, this would be todays equivalent to a 60 year old woman having a child.

So Kohath was 80+ when Amram was born. But, If we were to begin the 430 years TO:

when the angel visited Abraham when he was 99, [191 (1 + 60 + 130) years before going to Egypt] instead of when he was 75, [24 years later] . Adding 24 years to our former 215 years, this would mean that Jacob went to Egypt 239 years [215 plus 24] before the Exodus. This would mean that Kohath would be at least 104 [24 plus 80+] years of age when Amram was born. This is most unlikely, even though a longer period of 239 years would favor the multiplication of the children of Jacob into a great multitude of 600,000 men.

If you take the 66 men that entered the land of Egypt [Gen 46], it only takes a growth rate of 4.4% to reach 600,000, In 215 years of time, or about 5 sons per household.

By this we know that the 430 years found in Galatians 3, IS the covenant that God made with Abraham when he was 75 years old. We also know that this is true because the seed of Abraham,[ that began with Isaac,] was afflicted for 400 years. Isaac was born 25 years later and began suffering affliction at the hands of Ishmael at Isaacs weaning. 430 minus 25 minus 5 = 400.

Act 7:6 KJV And God spake on this wise, That his seed should sojourn in a strange land; and that they should bring them into bondage, and entreat them evil four hundred years.

And what is that covenant?

Gen 12:1-3 KJVNow the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
    Gen 12:4 KJV So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.

Gal 3:17-18 KJVAnd this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Christ, CONFIRMED the covenant that was made with Abraham by the shedding of his blood on Calvary. Christ is the seed, through whom the promise of the spirit, the inheritors shall keep the new covenant. This new covenant, by grace thorough faith, will replace the old covenant of the law through works whereby the eternal inheritance will be given. The scriptures confirm that the ALREADY CONFIRMED New Covenant will be made with the house of Israel.

Just as the old covenant of the law confirmed the right of Israel, as descendents of Abraham, to dwell in the land promised to Abraham , so too the new covenant (already confirmed) will entitle the children of Israel AND all who are children of Abraham THRU FAITH, to possess THAT land as an eternal inheritance.

Gal 3:29 KJV And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Be Blessed
    The PuP

He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. Hebrews 2:15-17

Originally posted by Pesachpup View Post
    When was the covenant made with Abraham and what is it?

And what is that covenant?

Gal 3:17-18 KJVAnd this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:29 KJV And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
    Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” Galatians 3:6-8

Comment

There are two covenants promised to Abraham and his seed , the seed of flesh , and the seed of promise.

The first covenant with Abraham corresponds to,Israel of the flesh , and also corresponds to Ishmael who was sent away. It's made here way before the law is given , see the promise in 12 splits into to distinct covenant promises , because instead of trusting God , Sarai provided Hagar to Abraham , so that Abraham would have a seed , this is not faith because it wasn't provided for and promised by God . This is the son Ishmael , the correspondence to the first covenant .

And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him. And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full. And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces. In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, ...."
      ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭15:12-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Then of this proise comes the promise of an eternal covenant see how Ishmael comes to be , and how Isaac comes to be , one is flesh the other promise of God

"And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife. And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.

And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭16:3-4, 11-12, 15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Then you have the promise of Isaac to the last age and barren coul,e Isaac is made of Gods promise and his power to bring it to pass.

“And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her....

And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee! And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year. And he left off talking with him, and God went up from Abraham.”
      ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭17:1-8, 15-16, 18-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

You see the differences and the promise becoming two already but here why we should know

"Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

But he who was of the bondwoman ( Ishmael ) was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. ( Isaac)

Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants;

the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. .....Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son:

for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.”

‭‭Galatians‬ ‭4:21-28, 30-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Comment

Any word spoken directly by God the Father is a covenant.

Every covenant bears the hope, promise, fullness and, ultimately, the greatness of God.

God spoke more than twice to Abraham: each occasion of His words remains an everlasting covenant.
        Grace and peace unto you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Comment

Originally posted by Follower1977 View Post
          There are two covenants promised to Abraham and his seed , the seed of flesh , and the seed of promise.

The first covenant with Abraham corresponds to,Israel of the flesh , and also corresponds to Ishmael who was sent away. It's made here way before the law is given , see the promise in 12 splits into to distinct covenant promises , because instead of trusting God , Sarai provided Hagar to Abraham , so that Abraham would have a seed , this is not faith because it wasn't provided for and promised by God . This is the son Ishmael , the correspondence to the first covenant .

And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him. And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full. And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces. In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, ...."
          ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭15:12-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Then of this proise comes the promise of an eternal covenant see how Ishmael comes to be , and how Isaac comes to be , one is flesh the other promise of God

"And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife. And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.

And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭16:3-4, 11-12, 15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Then you have the promise of Isaac to the last age and barren coul,e Isaac is made of Gods promise and his power to bring it to pass.

“And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying, As for me, behold, my covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.

Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her....

And Abraham said unto God, O that Ishmael might live before thee! And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.

But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year. And he left off talking with him, and God went up from Abraham.”
          ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭17:1-8, 15-16, 18-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

You see the differences and the promise becoming two already but here why we should know

"Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

But he who was of the bondwoman ( Ishmael ) was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. ( Isaac)

Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants;

the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. .....Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son:

for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.”

‭‭Galatians‬ ‭4:21-28, 30-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬
          The substance of the inheritance is that which was promised to Abraham 430 years before the Exodus when Abraham was 75. It is the old covenant of the law and the New covenant of grace that is the basis for occupying the land promised to Abraham. The "works" of the law only allowed for a "temporal" occupation of the land. But it will be spirit of grace that WILL BE the basis of the "eternal" inheritance that will be in the future when Christ, as the promised seed of Abraham, takes possession of the land. It was the descendency of the flesh of Jacob that allowed them to occupy the land temporally. But it will be the adoption of sons through the spirit of Christ that will be the basis for the "eternal inheritance". The promise that we wait for, the eternal spirit, will be the means by which the new covenant will be kept without fail.

Heb 9:15 KJV And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Be Blessed
          The PuP

Comment

Working...
          X