Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother Mark
    replied
    Thank you for your response brother Walls. I really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Walls
    replied
    Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Question:

When God touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh, was this the same place as the patriarchs would have someone touch when they were being promised something?

Here are some of the passages in question:

Gen 24:2 Abraham said to his servant, the oldest of his household, who had charge of all that he owned, "Please place your hand under my thigh,

Gen 24:9 So the servant placed his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter.

and

Gen 32:25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob's thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him.

I am aware of how many see "under the thigh". I am wondering if it is the same with the "hollow" or "socket" of the thigh.

God bless!

Mark
    I think that the reason for no replies is that the Bible does not give a clear meaning. But we have some evidence. But before we go there it will do us well to note that in verse 25 of Genesis 32, the Hebrew gives two different words for "hollow of his thigh" and the second "hollow". The first word has its root in the word "softness" so the first "Hollow of the thigh" was probably the big soft thigh muscle. The second "hollow" has its root in "the cupped hand" and most probably denotes the big ball and socket of the hip. But this does not bring us closer to any meaning. But we have two bits of crucial evidence. You may take them or leave them.

The thigh is the biggest muscle of the body. It would be a picture of strength or, by extension, authority. So our Lord's Title to POWER is, in Revelation 19:16, "And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS." And this would be in harmony with Jacob fighting for half the night "AND PREVAILING". His name is then changed to "Prince of God - Israel" because he fought and won. This immediately presents a problem though. Who can fight with God and win?

What happens in a man's life once he is chosen and called by God, is that a struggle begins. God dwells in the man's spirit, and the flesh is a mortal enemy of the spirit (Gal.5:17). Almost his whole life long, the Christian will be in some conflict or another with God. That is why the Christian is told to DENY HIMSELF, and take up his CROSS DAILY. His will and God's will will have conflict. And the fact of the matter is, if God would once exercise His POWER, you would not survive. The process of sanctification is long and hard, and God often lets you, just like Jacob, win. Paul has a THREEFOLD WARNING by the Holy Spirit, not to go up to Jerusalem. But he ignores them and goes. If God was to win, Paul would have, at the least, been laid paralyzed, and at worst, killed. To save us for His purpose, God lets us sometimes win, especially when we are young and new to His dealings with us. But there are conditions.

Jacob was a crook. His name means "Supplanter" or "Crook". But Jacob did something that God highly treasures. He was zealous for the birthright. Esau was not, and God hated him. Jacob cheated his brother, but he was for God's plan. He just used illegal methods. So also the night he fought with God. He wanted to do things under his OWN STRENGTH and so he wrestled with God. God let him win, but took his natural STRENGTH away - his thigh muscle withered and the sinew pulled his hip-joint askew. But though he tries to use natural means, he grips God and says "bless me" - making God his SOURCE. God surely blessed Jacob, but for His plan with Jacob, God takes his natural strength away and gives him his NEW SOURCE "PRINCE OF GOD" _ ISRA-EL. From then on Jacob must learn to go in God's strength - and not his own. You and I are the same. One day, hopefully, we will be co-kings with Jesus when he returns. We need our "natural strength" dealt with.

And if I am right, then the vow that MANY took, was by placing a hand under the thigh. It declared that you know who has STRENGTH, and who is YOUR MASTER. It is that you willingly vow from a position of SUBORDINATION. Likewise, in Numbers 5, a woman sinning against her head (her husband) would have her thigh - her strength, withered.

Leave a comment:

• Brother Mark
    started a topic Question: The hollow of the thigh

Question: The hollow of the thigh

Question:

When God touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh, was this the same place as the patriarchs would have someone touch when they were being promised something?

Here are some of the passages in question:

Gen 24:2 Abraham said to his servant, the oldest of his household, who had charge of all that he owned, "Please place your hand under my thigh,

Gen 24:9 So the servant placed his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter.

and

Gen 32:25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob's thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him.

I am aware of how many see "under the thigh". I am wondering if it is the same with the "hollow" or "socket" of the thigh.

God bless!

Mark
Working...
X