Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False prophets... "many will come in my name..."

Matt 24:4-5
    4 And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. 5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.
    NASB

I think this scripture has been often misunderstood. We teach it that many will come saying "I am Jesus" but that is not what Jesus was saying. He was saying that many would come in His name and say "I am the anointed one". That's what Christ means. It just means anointed one. So if someone comes in the name of Jesus and says "I am anointed" be very careful. Jesus warned us of folks that would mislead many through this tactic. So if someone is constantly speaking of how anointed they are, and they come in the name of Jesus, but they don't preach sound doctrine, then perhaps we should be very careful. Or as Jesus said "See to it that no one misleads you..."
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    4 And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. 5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.
    NASB

I think this scripture has been often misunderstood. We teach it that many will come saying "I am Jesus" but that is not what Jesus was saying. He was saying that many would come in His name and say "I am the anointed one". That's what Christ means. It just means anointed one. So if someone comes in the name of Jesus and says "I am anointed" be very careful. Jesus warned us of folks that would mislead many through this tactic. So if someone is constantly speaking of how anointed they are, and they come in the name of Jesus, but they don't preach sound doctrine, then perhaps we should be very careful. Or as Jesus said "See to it that no one misleads you..."
    Sure are a lot of folks in the limelight these days talking about the anointing, too . . .

Good point, Brother Mark.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

It is a good point... But we need to remember that the Lord does provide "an anointing from the Holy One" for all believers, and that "the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him."

We need to remain in close communion with Him, so that... we are not "mislead." And that means being in God's Word, in prayer and communication with Him, and in fellowship with other believers. The minute anyone claims that "the anointing" places him/her beyond reproach, and makes his/her teaching unquestionable... there is a problem!
      Disconnection is not an option!

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. ~ John 15:5-8

Comment

Originally posted by judi<>>< View Post
        It is a good point... But we need to remember that the Lord does provide "an anointing from the Holy One" for all believers, and that "the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him."

We need to remain in close communion with Him, so that... we are not "mislead." And that means being in God's Word, in prayer and communication with Him, and in fellowship with other believers. The minute anyone claims that "the anointing" places him/her beyond reproach, and makes his/her teaching unquestionable... there is a problem!
        No doubt we have an anointing. But how many of us really focus on our anointing? Instead, we focus on Jesus and the anointing becomes even stronger!

Still, I think we need to be careful when folks start out preaching about their anointing. For that was what Jesus was warning us against. Let's preach Jesus and Him crucified and others will be able to see we are anointed.
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

NASB

Well if you really want to be specific about it, there's really only one annointed one, and that was/is Christ. So I think Jesus was putting it quite frankly and easily, that anyone else who claims to be Christ in this day and age would be a liar. He also mentioned that anyone who came before his initial coming was a thief and a liar as well.

So we are given his "spirit" and this is the only thing that really makes us have any relationship with him and the Father, and allows any of us to become sons of God. I don't think Jesus stated that anything within the kingdom could be seen by us and would be like a flash of lightning, so I don't think his second coming will be discernable.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
            Well if you really want to be specific about it, there's really only one annointed one, and that was/is Christ. So I think Jesus was putting it quite frankly and easily, that anyone else who claims to be Christ in this day and age would be a liar. He also mentioned that anyone who came before his initial coming was a thief and a liar as well.

So we are given his "spirit" and this is the only thing that really makes us have any relationship with him and the Father, and allows any of us to become sons of God. I don't think Jesus stated that anything within the kingdom could be seen by us and would be like a flash of lightning, so I don't think his second coming will be discernable.
            There is an anointing given to all believers and one can be anointed as Saul was and as David was in the New Testament too. I too was taught that Jesus was saying that anyone who claims to be the Messiah was to be a liar. But upon looking closer at the verse and hearing some recent teaching, I don't think he is saying that anymore. I think he is speaking about those that would come in His name and speak about how anointed they are. But hey, that's just my take on it now.

As someone quoted above...

1 John 2:27-28
            27 And as for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
            NASB
            NASU

Comment

There is an anointing given to all believers and one can be anointed as Saul was and as David was in the New Testament too. I too was taught that Jesus was saying that anyone who claims to be the Messiah was to be a liar. But upon looking closer at the verse and hearing some recent teaching, I don't think he is saying that anymore. I think he is speaking about those that would come in His name and speak about how anointed they are. But hey, that's just my take on it now.

As someone quoted above...

1 John 2:27-28
              27 And as for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
              NASB
              Yeah. I think moreso than anything though, most of us aren't really looking for an annointing even though God extends any type of annointing to us. I think most of Christ's disciples were moreso interested in finding something better than this world where they could find peace and rest. Christ himself said he didn't come here for his own glory, but he stated he came here to glorify the father. No one knows when he will come, it will be like a thief in the night. The important thing is to not be deceived by false doctrines of men, and that we be ready, and not be taken by surprise.

Comment

There are countless people who claim they are Jesus Christ. They use the title to gain fame and fortune. They have been doing it for along time. Likewise there are even more who claim they are anointed.

I wonder how many of them walk with no shoes?...

4Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.
                8And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:

Now how many people claim to be anointed and carry no money and no scripture and no shoes? How many of them rely on there spirit and not there bible? How many of them eat such things as are set before them and want nothing more?

Comment

NASB

Very good Mark, I agree totally here; but that doesn't mean too that He was warning of false Christ.
                  Only problem is, if people don't know what sound doctrine is, their likely to fall for these who claim to be anointed and aren't teaching sound doctrine.
                  Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

NASB

I don't agree. The ones claiming to be anointed that are not are the false prophets and there are many. They claim that they are anointed and inspired by God but they don't know God and don't have his Spirit although many believe they have. There are two types of false prophets those that work miracles with the power of the dragon (Acts 13:6-9) and those that have no spiritual understanding at all but think they have been anointed.

I see the false Christs in the RCC the Pope, dead saints and Mary for example are false Christs. The RCC Litany of the Saints is a perfect example of false Christs as there is one mediator between man and God Christ Jesus, not dead saints or Mary. The Pope and his follower’s say who is a saint and who is not... that is for Christ Jesus to decide.

Not only that but the catholic priest (known as Holy Father) acts as a mediator between man and God instead of just leading one to God himself.

Even if one is anointed they make mistakes just like everyone else. The anointing just works a change on the inside of them... a new heart.

JMO

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
                      Yeah. I think moreso than anything though, most of us aren't really looking for an annointing even though God extends any type of annointing to us. I think most of Christ's disciples were moreso interested in finding something better than this world where they could find peace and rest. Christ himself said he didn't come here for his own glory, but he stated he came here to glorify the father. No one knows when he will come, it will be like a thief in the night. The important thing is to not be deceived by false doctrines of men, and that we be ready, and not be taken by surprise.
                      Just wanted to add to this one. I think many of them also followed Christ due to the fact that the Father lead them to see his truly peaceful and kind nature, and they wanted to follow him for the purpose of love and friendship. I don't think all of his disciples were that concerned about what Jesus could give, but they did truly see a friend in him and that's why they continued to follow.

Comment

Mark that seriously freaked me out... I just read that passage very recently, and had realised that as "Christ" meant "annointed one" it was referring to those who brag about their annointing, not simply those who claim they are Jesus Himself.

Certainly you see a lot of this now...
                        Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Mat 24:4 Jesus answered them, "Beware that no one leads you astray.
                          Mat 24:5 For many will come in my name, saying, "I am the Messiah!' and they will lead many astray.
                          These scriptures show two things: For one the importance of seeking God for yourself and not to allow anyone to tell you what the scriptures say except for God through the Holy Spirit.
                          Once you are past a certain level of discernment you will know who is anointed and who not, and you will know who you can go to and learn from and who speaks truth.

"Many coming in His name" means that these supposedly anointed ones claim to know Him and have the right teaching etc.... saying they are all doing it to his glory.

Sadly, this could be your preacher on the corner church down the street.

Everything needs to be checked against scripture, and as long as you have a shred of doubt, you need to keep studying the Word until you are 100% certain of everything being in harmony.

Shalom,
                          Tanja
                          Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                          2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                          If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                          http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Anointed One

Jesus said, "the anointing is upon me...". Only Jesus is anointed. When He lives in us, we radiate His anointing.
                            sigpicLife! Just Live It!
                            http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
                              Jesus said, "the anointing is upon me...". Only Jesus is anointed. When He lives in us, we radiate His anointing.
                              That's probably the best and simplest way of putting our annointing. Any annointing we receive is based on his shed blood, not on anything we've done on this earth, or because God deems us as special. God only sees Christ in us, and thank God for that. We as human beings would be in a very bad situation if God didn't use Christ's shed blood as our annointing.

Comment

Working...
                              X