Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we still commanded to "be fruitful and multiply" or is that only OT?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are we still commanded to "be fruitful and multiply" or is that only OT?

    My thought is that God's commandment to "be fruitful and multiply" is as applicable today as it was in the beginning. I believe that God wants to share the gift of life and he needs us to do out part. Another told me that his commandment to be fruitful only applied in the beginning. What is your thought?

  • #2
    Under the OT and NT.......yes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by K9Buck View Post
      My thought is that God's commandment to "be fruitful and multiply" is as applicable today as it was in the beginning. I believe that God wants to share the gift of life and he needs us to do out part. Another told me that his commandment to be fruitful only applied in the beginning. What is your thought?
      what fruits are we talking about ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Follower1977 View Post

        what fruits are we talking about ?
        Reproduction, I think.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by K9Buck View Post
          My thought is that God's commandment to "be fruitful and multiply" is as applicable today as it was in the beginning. I believe that God wants to share the gift of life and he needs us to do out part. Another told me that his commandment to be fruitful only applied in the beginning. What is your thought?
          Still applicable until God revokes His command. Nor should we revoke the command to live in the image and likeness of God. Nor should we fail to continue to exercise dominion over the animals, the land, the insects, and everything on earth. We are to assert God's love everywhere that we exercise God's goodness. Multiplying that is a good thing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by K9Buck View Post

            Reproduction, I think.

            The earth is very full though ....then there were two people ....

            we we indeed are commanded to be " fruitful " and " multiply " even could say reproduce .....be fruitful in the spirit , and share the gospel , so when people accept the gospel .....a child of God is born ......so we are growing the family of God and multiplying through the spirit


            If you are a Christian you are looking for what's in the four accounts of the gospel according to Matthew , mark , Luke and John.

            As far as having children and marrying I think it's probably a human desire because God made us that way ....it was Gods idea that we should do those things .....and it makes a better life to have a family and everything....but for Christians , the New Testament is much more about the souls of man being saved , because of the wrath of God that is coming. Jesus and Paul actually both say ......it's better NOT to marry because it takes from ones devotion to the gospel....but only if one can accept this they both make the point . Not a rule , but the scripture in the New Testament .....is about eternity , heaven the new home we are promised , about dying and having our soul might live on in peace and eternal joy until all things are restored ...rather than suffering in torment for our sins u til the judgement .....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Follower1977 View Post


              The earth is very full though ....then there were two people ....

              we we indeed are commanded to be " fruitful " and " multiply " even could say reproduce .....be fruitful in the spirit , and share the gospel , so when people accept the gospel .....a child of God is born ......so we are growing the family of God and multiplying through the spirit


              If you are a Christian you are looking for what's in the four accounts of the gospel according to Matthew , mark , Luke and John.

              As far as having children and marrying I think it's probably a human desire because God made us that way ....it was Gods idea that we should do those things .....and it makes a better life to have a family and everything....but for Christians , the New Testament is much more about the souls of man being saved , because of the wrath of God that is coming. Jesus and Paul actually both say ......it's better NOT to marry because it takes from ones devotion to the gospel....but only if one can accept this they both make the point . Not a rule , but the scripture in the New Testament .....is about eternity , heaven the new home we are promised , about dying and having our soul might live on in peace and eternal joy until all things are restored ...rather than suffering in torment for our sins u til the judgement .....

              Thank you for the enlightenment.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by K9Buck View Post
                My thought is that God's commandment to "be fruitful and multiply" is as applicable today as it was in the beginning. I believe that God wants to share the gift of life and he needs us to do out part. Another told me that his commandment to be fruitful only applied in the beginning. What is your thought?
                There is no change of Gog's thoughts and plans. The argument of overpopulation is from Satan (via the press). Even a cursory study of the world's demographics will show that there is more than enough room for ten times the earth's population. The limiting factors are:
                1. The earth is cursed and the harvests are not at maximum
                2. Large tracks of land are ruled by warlords and the local population can never get the fruit of their labors
                3. Large tracks of land are declared protected areas because they are rich in natural resources and the monopolists don't want people digging them out
                4. Wars everywhere prevent normal prosperous life
                5. Various religions prevent modern farming methods

                As an example of this, the Subcontinent of India, with it's fertile soil and monsoon rains, if farmed with North American methods, could feed the whole world's present population, and have some over. But the cast system, and a religion that believes in reincarnation prevents modern and efficient farming methods, and so India barely copes with its own population.

                But above all, Satan, who used to be governor of this earth, and is about to have his beautiful domain taken away from him, has a virulent hate for every single human being. He will take any and every opportunity to kill men, whether by abortion in their mother's womb, by war, by sickness, by tragedy and/or by hunger. He will cause the implementation of birth control. He will support euthanasia. Any means to wipe out men, is his tactic. And as he commands the lying press, all manner of seemingly logical arguments are set before gullible men.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by K9Buck View Post
                  My thought is that God's commandment to "be fruitful and multiply" is as applicable today as it was in the beginning. I believe that God wants to share the gift of life and he needs us to do out part. Another told me that his commandment to be fruitful only applied in the beginning. What is your thought?
                  I do not know of any that suggest that we should stop reproducing. He is in control of our life span, and reproduction cycles.

                  A scripture I will point to: Notice how God increased the children of Israel more in number than their counter part Egyptians. God controlled the balance between the two groups of people. The interesting thing, it was according to promise made to Abraham. Yet it worked right into his plan.

                  Exodus 1:
                  7 And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.
                  12 But the more they afflicted them, the more they multiplied and grew. And they were grieved because of the children of Israel.

                  Yet another time when he all but wiped Israel out of existence during Babylonian captivity because of their sins.

                  I generally try not to post generic statements, but certain things I have learned about God regarding this topic:
                  1) He cannot lie
                  2) He does not change
                  3) He is pro-life
                  4) He always makes a way for those who trust in him.
                  5) He has good ways to manage population control
                  6) With God, all things are possible
                  7) God always has a mind blowing solution to every dilemma we face.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The "command" to multiply was given in the OT, not the NT. The world is pretty full already so there is no need or requirement for anyone to have children if they choose not to.
                    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by K9Buck View Post
                      My thought is that God's commandment to "be fruitful and multiply" is as applicable today as it was in the beginning. I believe that God wants to share the gift of life and he needs us to do out part. Another told me that his commandment to be fruitful only applied in the beginning. What is your thought?
                      Honestly, I don't know. But I will say the earth isn't that full. The vast majority of the population are centered in just a few places. See here for example.

                      https://i.redd.it/30363cj9nsl11.jpg

                      Practically the whole western half of the US is dark. If you look up similar maps for China and India—two of the most heavily populated countries on earth—you see the same thing. There's lots and lots of room left.
                      Love is patient, love is kind. . .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's not really command/law, but a blessing that God Himself brings to fruition according to His plan.

                        And God blessed them [animals], saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." [...] And God blessed them [man]. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth." (Genesis 1)

                        This is why it's repeated after the Flood, to reaffirm His blessing even after wiping out the whole world:

                        And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth." (Genesis 9)

                        It was never a law given to individuals, in part proven by the fact that Jesus Himself did not "multiply" in this way. And the Spirit confirms it through Paul who taught that it depends on God calling for each person's life. Because there are still children being born, it would appear His blessing in Genesis is still in effect.
                        「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
                        撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Aviyah View Post
                          It's not really command/law, but a blessing that God Himself brings to fruition according to His plan.

                          And God blessed them [animals], saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." [...] And God blessed them [man]. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth." (Genesis 1)

                          This is why it's repeated after the Flood, to reaffirm His blessing even after wiping out the whole world:

                          And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth." (Genesis 9)

                          It was never a law given to individuals, in part proven by the fact that Jesus Himself did not "multiply" in this way. And the Spirit confirms it through Paul who taught that it depends on God calling for each person's life. Because there are still children being born, it would appear His blessing in Genesis is still in effect.
                          Don't you think that the words of God in those verses are emphatic? Especially when you consider Isaiah 45:18:

                          "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else."

                          Just thinking.

                          Go well sister.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We ARE being fruitful and multiplying. People have babies every single day. Does every single woman have to have babies. No. The NT says some people are called to singleness. Some women physically cannot have children. Neither can some men. Some couples prefer to adopt.

                            If a couple marries and has just one child - they have been fruitful and multiplied. No need for more unless that is their choice.

                            sigpic
                            ".....it's your nickel"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jayne View Post
                              We ARE being fruitful and multiplying. People have babies every single day. Does every single woman have to have babies. No. The NT says some people are called to singleness. Some women physically cannot have children. Neither can some men. Some couples prefer to adopt.

                              If a couple marries and has just one child - they have been fruitful and multiplied. No need for more unless that is their choice.
                              What say you then to the "replenish the earth" bit? Vine gives an interesting write up on the Hebrew "male". He writes; "Used transitively, this verb means the act or state of "filling something." In Gen. 1:22 (the first occurrence of the word), God told the sea creatures to "penetrate" the waters thoroughly but not exhaustively: "Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas." Mālēʾ can also mean "to fill up" in an exhaustive sense: "…And the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle" (Exod. 40:34). In this sense an appetite can be "filled up," "satiated," or "satisfied." (Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old Testament and New Testament Words.)

                              I would dare say that the Lord meant more than one child, especially as (i) He multiplied the woman's conception, and (ii) mortality had come in.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X