The Lake of Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lake of Fire

When a man or woman is thrown into the Lake of Fire after the judgment, does he or she burn in a real literal physical fire for all eternity or is the fire symbolic, or does he or she just get destroyed and cease to exist?

It is a literal fire and brimstone, like sulfur, that burns the flesh without killing the person, for all eternity.
    Phileo and Agape in Christ,
    Geoffrey Primanti

I am emphatic about this. The moment any one of you submits to circumcision or any other rule-keeping system, at that same moment Christ's hard-won gift of freedom is squandered. I repeat my warning: The person who accepts the ways of circumcision trades all the advantages of the free life in Christ for the obligations of the slave life of the law.
    Gal. 5:2-3, TMB
    To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.
    Eph. 3:8, NKJV

Comment

All people are made eternal. It is our choice to spend it with God or be separated from God. Eternally.
      Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
        All people are made eternal. It is our choice to spend it with God or be separated from God. Eternally.
        Okay. Now do you think the fire is literal and physical and burns people or is it symbolic?

Comment

I read once about this. There is a valley (I forgot the details) outside of Jerusalem that the population would dumb garbage and human waste in, then burn it. I read that somewhere in scripture this valley was referred to as 'gahenna' (hell). The other word they used, 'Sheol' could refer simply to a grave. Anyway, it seems to refer to a real fire.

Also, remember this?

Luk 16:22 "Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham's bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried.
          Luk 16:23 "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
          Luk 16:24 "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'
          Luk 16:25 "But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony.
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

There is a good book out about this. I forget the name of the author, but the Title is "23 Minutes in Hell"
            Phileo and Agape in Christ,
            Geoffrey Primanti

I am emphatic about this. The moment any one of you submits to circumcision or any other rule-keeping system, at that same moment Christ's hard-won gift of freedom is squandered. I repeat my warning: The person who accepts the ways of circumcision trades all the advantages of the free life in Christ for the obligations of the slave life of the law.
            Gal. 5:2-3, TMB
            To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.
            Eph. 3:8, NKJV

Comment

I would be really cautious with that book....I saved man going to hell? Then experiancing some physical pain there.....By spirtual law it cannot happen. Impossible.

Comment

Matthew 25
                31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

When the Lord returns, is He going to come back to judge literal farm animals? Of course not. All of His words that He spoke during His time on the earth were spiritual, not literal.

John 6
                63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.

Fire is used symbolically in scripture, even sometimes being referenced as a way of purification.

Zechariah 13
                8 In the whole land," declares the LORD,
                "two-thirds will be struck down and perish;
                yet one-third will be left in it.

9 This third I will bring into the fire;
                I will refine them like silver
                and test them like gold.
                They will call on my name
                and I will answer them;
                I will say, 'They are my people,'
                and they will say, 'The LORD is our God.' "

No, the fire in the "lake of fire" is absolutely NOT literal in the sense of being an earthly, physical fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatistruth View Post
                  I would be really cautious with that book....I saved man going to hell? Then experiancing some physical pain there.....By spirtual law it cannot happen. Impossible.
                  I have that book and have read Mary K. Baxter's Divine Revelation of Hell. They both were taken there by Jesus and experienced a fraction of the punishment so they could testify on how bad it really is there.
                  sigpic

Comment

I would agree with Joey's statement. In Rev. the word of God is the river of
                    life flowing from the throne. Jesus talks about the water of life, welling up
                    within. With the Word of God there is faith, hope and love.

Lake of fire shows absolutely no water, no word of God, for all of eternity
                    which means no faith, no hope, no love. But if you take everything as literal
                    then God is going to roast people for eternity. I see it as symbolic just as
                    John says to see it in Rev.1:1 with the word - "signified" check it out in the
                    Greek - it means to reveal a truth with symbols, the book of Rev is symbolic
                    and so is the Lake of fire.

RJ

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
                      Matthew 25
                      31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Jesus is brilliant. I can't think of any better two animals to describe believers and unbelievers.
                      sigpic

Comment

The Bible says that in the lake of fire "their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched". Jesus made many more references to hell than he did to heaven - it is not a place anyone will want to be. It will be a place of eternal suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterj1 View Post
                          When a man or woman is thrown into the Lake of Fire after the judgment, does he or she burn in a real literal physical fire for all eternity or is the fire symbolic, or does he or she just get destroyed and cease to exist?
                          To go along with Kate's explination above, we are also told there will be weeping and nashing of teeth. If there was no physical torment, wouldn't there just be silence?
                          Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                          Not second or third, but first.
                          Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                          when He is the source of all hope,
                          when His love is received and freely given,
                          holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                          will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

It will be worse than anything we could ever dream up. Is it actual fire? I personally don't think so, it will be something much, much worse. I believe that it will be more spiritual torment than physical(if at all).

Whatever it is, I'm going to go ahead and pass.
                            As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Originally posted by Joe King View Post
                              I have that book and have read Mary K. Baxter's Divine Revelation of Hell. They both were taken there by Jesus and experienced a fraction of the punishment so they could testify on how bad it really is there.
                              Dont you understand? If he was saved then he entered in to a covenant not even God himself could change. If he did change it then God would be a liar. Now maybe i would agree with you that go could have "showed" him hell. That is possible. But being punished or feeling pain however little would break the covenant. Its simple spirtual law. Punishment is for sinners. If he was really there the blood of Jesus would have kept any demon away I assure you. Its just like the laws we have in this country. There are certain things you just CANT do. Now its been my experience that most christians are very prideful. This post will no doubt fill you with anger and you wont even think about what I just said. May I remind you. Pride and anger like that is a sin but consider what Im saying. We live in an age were anything is accepted by the christian community. No one even stops to think about something if its in a book or on the television. The bible warns us about false prophets but then nobody ever sees them. Everyone always wants to think its somebody on a street corner somewhere deceiving only a few people. But in times like this they are in more places then you think. All I ask is that you really think about what i just said cause its true and there is no way around it. Not unless you want to throw away the bible. The covenant cant be broken or changed. Thats it.

Also dont you think the bible gave a pretty good description? Besides, the only people I know reading this stuff is other christians. Its not helping anyone. However interesting it maybe. Its on my bookshelf but i definatly do not believe it.

Comment

Working...
                              X