No announcement yet.

Hebrew/English word switching solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hebrew/English word switching solution?

Hello everyone, just joined this forum.

I have a question for all of you who are interested in the techy side of study.

Basically i'd like to be able to read a English text translation of the bible (the Hebrew bible for example), and when i choose, be able to switch all translations a chosen word, for example "peace" to the original Hebrew (שָׁלוֹם 'shalom', or whatever word it may originally be in the Hebrew), throughout the whole text.

Essentially i want to "untranslate" specific words throughout the text, as i so choose.

At first i had the idea of getting the English text of the bible and just using 'find and replace' function, for example, to change all instances of the word "hear" to what it would have been translated from originally (שָׁמַע, 'shaw-ma'), but it then occurred to me that this method would be inaccurate, because there could be a number of Hebrew words that have been translated to "hear" in a English text (not only 'shaw-ma'), and i would have to check EVERY instance of the word to ensure I'm replacing it with the correct original word, and that defeats the purpose.

So I'm looking for a solution to automate this in some way.

I'd appreciate to know what everyone can think of. Maybe there is software that gives this functionality?

Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas.

Biblesoft will do what you want to do but it costs money. Esword might, and it is free. With Biblesoft, you can find what the Hebrew (or Greek) word is, and then do a search on every use of that Hebrew/Greek word. It will show you every passage that word is used, and highlight the English translation of that word.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
      Biblesoft will do what you want to do but it costs money. Esword might, and it is free. With Biblesoft, you can find what the Hebrew (or Greek) word is, and then do a search on every use of that Hebrew/Greek word. It will show you every passage that word is used, and highlight the English translation of that word.
      Thanks Mark! Hopefully thats what im looking for, although i have some doubt, because i want to be able to read it as a normal bible with these changes put in place. I will investigate!

Many thanks,
      Thomas

Comment

Biblesoft won't actually replace the English word with the Hebrew word. Keep in mind, that Hebrew words can have multiple meanings like English words do. For instance, bow can mean a bow tie, a bow that shoots arrows, or to bow before a king. Context will matter in how that word is translated.

What Biblesoft will do, is you can search through the scriptures and find every use of the Hebrew word you are studying. You can go verse by verse and see each instance of that word, with the English word highlighted to show you how that word was translated.

May the Lord bless your studies.
        Matt 9:13
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas2000 View Post
          Hello everyone, just joined this forum.

I have a question for all of you who are interested in the techy side of study.

Basically i'd like to be able to read a English text translation of the bible (the Hebrew bible for example), and when i choose, be able to switch all translations a chosen word, for example "peace" to the original Hebrew (שָׁלוֹם 'shalom', or whatever word it may originally be in the Hebrew), throughout the whole text.

Essentially i want to "untranslate" specific words throughout the text, as i so choose.

At first i had the idea of getting the English text of the bible and just using 'find and replace' function, for example, to change all instances of the word "hear" to what it would have been translated from originally (שָׁמַע, 'shaw-ma'), but it then occurred to me that this method would be inaccurate, because there could be a number of Hebrew words that have been translated to "hear" in a English text (not only 'shaw-ma'), and i would have to check EVERY instance of the word to ensure I'm replacing it with the correct original word, and that defeats the purpose.

So I'm looking for a solution to automate this in some way.

I'd appreciate to know what everyone can think of. Maybe there is software that gives this functionality?

Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks in advance,
          Thomas.
          ====================
          Interesting....I understand what you want to do...but, why...care to explain?

There are some words in scripture that has been miss translated...for example ...Pneuma...a greek word meaning spirit, et al., was translated in error to ...ghost. Thus we have in the Bible...Holy Ghost. It should be ...Spirit.......properly ......we would have Holy Spirit.

The Bible has been translated from Aramaic (Canaanite languages such as Hebrew and Phoenician)to Greek to current Hebrew to English. Some meanings were lost...typical of Human product.

Comment

The research will include three groups of Hebrew- English and Hebrew-Arabic speakers during discourses at different environments krogerfeedback

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas2000 View Post

This is what E-sword can do:

esword show original words with english.png
              James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Comment

Working...
              X