Gems from Romans—Romans 2:14-15—Law Written in their Hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gems from Romans—Romans 2:14-15—Law Written in their Hearts

There are so many gems in Romans it's hard to even know where to start. Almost every verse is a gem.

"For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts. . ."—Romans 2:14-15.

Hebrews 10:16, quoting Jeremiah 31:33, states:

"This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."

From Romans 2 we get some idea of what's implied in Hebrews 10. The Gentiles, not having the law, demonstrate that the law is written in their hearts by the good works they do instinctively. This—it seems to me—is the desired outcome for the Christian when they become a true disciple of Christ. That is, they begin to do God's will instinctively, and of their own free will.
    Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

What changes them inwardly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Follower1977 View Post
      What changes them inwardly ?
      Not exactly sure who you mean by "them," but I think you mean the Christian so I'll tailor my response accordingly. Lately I've become very impressed by Galatians 2:20 as one of the best summations of the whole gospel:

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

In a nutshell, this is what what makes change possible.
      Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

Comment

Originally posted by pdun459 View Post

Not exactly sure who you mean by "them," but I think you mean the Christian so I'll tailor my response accordingly. Lately I've become very impressed by Galatians 2:20 as one of the best summations of the whole gospel:

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

In a nutshell, this is what what makes change possible.

but im not asking for a nutshell , how is that a good summation of how someone changes from a sinful nature ....to a nature that obeys ? Is what I'm asking . I actually agree with your op...I'm just asking tangibly what is it that does the work changing their minds and hearts to those who keep the commandments , and the commandments aren't grievous like John says?

sort ft of supports your point I think it's first John chapter 5 the first paragraph " this is the love of God , that we keep his commandments , and his commandments aren't grievous....johns saying the same thing you are , the change of the nature so we don't have to look at his word , as foriegn and opposite our will.

See I'm asking because if someone reads your o.p. They might wonder , how do I go from someone who is driven by lust and material things of the world , to someone who is driven by the word of God ?

Is why I asked you " what is it that changes them ?

To quote Paul saying of himself " I am crucified with Christ and no longer live , Christ lives in me " honestly doesn't have any understanding , it's just a pretty cool quote. How does one become " crucified with Christ and have Christ live in them ?

Comment

Follower, actually it's not just a cool quote. This passage is loaded with meaning.

People tend to complicate the gospel and overlook the one basic element that can empower us, that is, faith in Christ working in us. Change doesn't come from the intellect or understanding: it comes from prayer and faith. Philippians 2:12-13 says—"So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure."

If a person could figure out how to change on their own they wouldn't need Christ. The gospel really is quite simple but the intellect likes to complicate it.

If you were to answer your own question, what would be your response?

Comment

Notice what Paul says in Romans 1:1-5: "Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh, who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name’s sake. . ." It's faith that empowers us to obedience.

And James says: "But someone may well say, 'You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.' "—James 2:18.

Comment

Working...
            X