Thrice and then Twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrice and then Twice

Well now, here we go again. Something I have never seen before lately. Devotions this morning were on Peters denial. I was reading in Matthew, Mark, and Luke,
    Matthew 26:34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
    Luke 22:34 And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

Mark 14:30 And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Interesting, don't you think?

1st John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

I would guess that it's just a simple difference in the scripture harmonies. But with the word "twice" in there, it has always been in my head that the cock would crow three times or thrice.

1st John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Comment

Originally posted by The Parson View Post
      Well now, here we go again. Something I have never seen before lately. Devotions this morning were on Peters denial. I was reading in Matthew, Mark, and Luke,
      Matthew 26:34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
      Luke 22:34 And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

Mark 14:30 And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice.

I think the trick is that all three gospels confirm that Peter would deny his Lord THRICE. In Matthew and Luke, the NUMBER of times the cock would crow is not given. In Mark, it is "BEFORE the cock crew twice". And so it was. The first denial in Mark is followed by the cock crewing the first time. Peter is too griped by fear to hear it. It needed the second crew to jerk Peter's memory from the fear of men to the awfulness of what he had just done - and to the consequences. The other two gospels just do not record the first crew.

Nevertheless, it is an exercise for the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post

I think the trick is that all three gospels confirm that Peter would deny his Lord THRICE. In Matthew and Luke, the NUMBER of times the cock would crow is not given. In Mark, it is "BEFORE the cock crew twice". And so it was. The first denial in Mark is followed by the cock crewing the first time. Peter is too griped by fear to hear it. It needed the second crew to jerk Peter's memory from the fear of men to the awfulness of what he had just done - and to the consequences. The other two gospels just do not record the first crew.

Nevertheless, it is an exercise for the mind.
        It is an exercise for the mind indeed. You know, I always thought the verse or verses actually were rendered "Before the cock crows thrice thou wilt deny me thrice". Go figure... I'll have to work on my memory verses.

Comment

It is an exercise for the mind indeed. You know, I always thought the verse or verses actually were rendered "Before the cock crows thrice thou wilt deny me thrice". Go figure... I'll have to work on my memory verses.
          Next you'll be asking how many wise men visited Jesus when he was born. (smile)

Comment

I don't now. How many? (grin)

Comment

We're all at school when it comes to this Grand Book. I've held to some junk in my time, and probably still do. May the Lord be merciful to our limited humanity.

Comment

I don't now. How many? (grin)
                The Bible doesn't say. But all the Christmas Cards show three. Yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by CadyandZoe View Post

The Bible doesn't say. But all the Christmas Cards show three. Yeah?
                  Gotta believe the Christmas cards. They could never be wrong...

Comment

What is your point, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to think? Please elaborate.

Comment

There is no contradiction. Peter denies Jesus three times before the cock crows two times. Edit: Although I suppose taking into account Matthew 26:34 and Luke 22:34, we take that single cock's crow as the second time it crowed.
                      The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.
                      Prov 15:3

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post

What is your point, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to think? Please elaborate.
                        No trick Trivalee, no point except that while reading certain books after my devotions, I had read what I remembered to be the quote from John that said: "Before the cock crows thrice thou wilt deny me thrice". Just a memory thingy.

thrice1.jpg
                        thrice2.jpg

Comment

No trick Trivalee, no point except that while reading certain books after my devotions, I had read what I remembered to be the quote from John that said: "Before the cock crows thrice thou wilt deny me thrice". Just a memory thingy.

thrice1.jpg
                          thrice2.jpg
                          Whether John says thrice and Luke or some other Book say twice, the difference is insignificant because each of the synoptic Gospels was written according to the perspective of the writer. Hence we see slight differences from Matthew to John. It will be suspect if all four books' accounts were verbatim as if the writer's sat together and compared notes.

The fact there are slight variations from one book to another is consistent with people recounting the same story from their own perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post
                            Gospels was written according to the perspective of the writer. Hence we see slight differences from Matthew to John. It will be suspect if all four books' accounts were verbatim as if the writer's sat together and compared notes.

The fact there are slight variations from one book to another is consistent with people recounting the same story from their own perspectives.
                            You'll find no argument here with me Trivalee.

Comment

Working...
                            X