Intimacy with Jesus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m'lo goy View Post

Brilliant. That was very uplifting. You have explained to me what that statement means: "Lost your first love". I always battled to grasp exactly what our Lord means but never fully "got it", till now.
    Isn't it interesting that Jesus wanted intimacy with the first church, and the last church mentioned He was standing at the door and knocking so he could have an intimate meal of fellowship where He could feed them!

The first and last word to the 7 churches was all about intimacy with our Savior.

God bless and thank you for the encouragment!
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post

Isn't it interesting that Jesus wanted intimacy with the first church, and the last church mentioned He was standing at the door and knocking so he could have an intimate meal of fellowship where He could feed them!

The first and last word to the 7 churches was all about intimacy with our Savior.

God bless and thank you for the encouragment!
      Yes, and in this, you've pointed another thing out to me which I overlooked. Thank you! There is so much more treasure and meaning in what we read, and we overlook so much of it, until the Holy Spirit gives someone the insight and prompts him to share it. Thanks for being obedient to the Holy Spirit's prompting to share it! I think that especially when we enter into the final years of the very end of the Age, we all really need to understand exactly the kind of things you have just shared. So thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by m'lo goy View Post
        There is so much more treasure and meaning in what we read, and we overlook so much of it, until the Holy Spirit gives someone the insight and prompts him to share it.
        Amen brother! Without revelation, the people perish. Getting revelation from the word is absolutely essential. With it comes faith, peace, love, and power.

God bless!

Mark
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post

The believer's assurance that he is not alone in such a situation leads him to either have a sound sleep like Peter or like Paul and Silas (Acts 16:25-26), bust out in praises and worship to the God of heaven. The encouragement of every believer (in cases like this, I prefer 'believer' to 'Christian' because not every Christian genuinely believes) in time of extreme suffering, persecution and even potential death for his faith is Paul's painful and yet hopeful second letter to Timothy 4:14-17.

This was a man that has dedicated the latter part of his life to faithful devotion to God and in the end, with a violent death at the door - instead of fear, he accepted his fate stoically. Rather than ask for prayers for his safety as he often did that his Gospel may continue, remarkably he used the opportunity to share his wealth of experience with his protege regarding his disappointment from trusted colleagues and hitherto fellow servants in the ministry. Perhaps to prepare Timothy and subsequent ministers of betrayals and disappoints from fellow believers?

The lesson here is two-fold; one is committing all to Jesus in times of personal trials and hoping for divine intervention. The other is like Paul did, knowing when to accept that God's will for us in that particular situation might be different. In this wise, Paul expressed both hopes of physical redemption (2 Tim 4:18a And the Lord shall [present tense] deliver me from evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom) and acceptance and resignation to the inevitable, verses 6-7.
          Hooah! Also, there was a time when the "disciples" were shaken by the storms they were entering into/or in. Out on the lake, when the storm arose, they freaked but what was Jesus doing? He was asleep and they woke Him to help them. How those disciples experienced a renewing of the mind over time and the results of this renewing, is evident in the example of Peter and of Paul/Silas that you raised in your post.

Any persecution, any trial, any difficulty, any betrayal/opposition (from people), as you raise, that comes at us = a storm. First we see Jesus asleep, later we find His disciples asleep in their storms.

This thread is a sermon developing :-)
          --
          Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
            This thread is a sermon developing :-)
            A good sermon would be,

Ye shall drink indeed of my cup Mt.20:23

What "cup" is Jesus referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
              A good sermon would be,

Ye shall drink indeed of my cup Mt.20:23

What "cup" is Jesus referring to?
              I am fine with exploring that, but let us avoid Paul bashing or bashing things Paul wrote in the scriptures. Agreed?
              NASU

Comment

I am fine with exploring that, but let us avoid Paul bashing or bashing things Paul wrote in the scriptures. Agreed?
                I've never bashed Paul or anything he wrote, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I believe the cup Jesus referred to, was the cup of his suffering. Peter said,

For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. 1Pet.3:17

That's why Jesus suffered.

Comment

I've never bashed Paul or anything he wrote, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I believe the cup Jesus referred to, was the cup of his suffering. Peter said,

For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing. 1Pet.3:17

That's why Jesus suffered.
                  Sorry brother. I didn't understand your post then on the first page about someone being so intimate with God but furthing the wrath model of redemption. I thought you were talking about Paul, but maybe you meant someone else.

And I agree with you about the cup... it was a cup of suffering and they did indeed drink it! God has not promised to keep us from suffering though I do not cherish the thought of suffering.
                  NASU

Comment

Sorry brother. I didn't understand your post then on the first page about someone being so intimate with God but furthing the wrath model of redemption. I thought you were talking about Paul, but maybe you meant someone else.

And I agree with you about the cup... it was a cup of suffering and they did indeed drink it! God has not promised to keep us from suffering though I do not cherish the thought of suffering.
                    Yeah I don't love the idea of suffering either. Jesus prayed for the cup of suffering to pass from him. It's almost incomprehensible that he endured the persecution of his creation.

Anyhow, I'm certain in all of the Apostles writings, that's how they saw Jesus's sacrifice and not some heretical wrath model of redemption.

Comment

Yeah I don't love the idea of suffering either. Jesus prayed for the cup of suffering to pass from him. It's almost incomprehensible that he endured the persecution of his creation.

Anyhow, I'm certain in all of the Apostles writings, that's how they saw Jesus's sacrifice and not some heretical wrath model of redemption.
                      Your conclusion is spot on. We, as Christians do not "create or desire" suffering for ourselves. The suffering we experience for God however, is to be expected and will be endured through Christ who endured the worst suffering for all mankind.
                      --
                      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                        Your conclusion is spot on. We, as Christians do not "create or desire" suffering for ourselves. The suffering we experience for God however, is to be expected and will be endured through Christ who endured the worst suffering for all mankind.
                        Amen. The suffering Jesus endured was pure love toward those showing their contempt for him. Amazing!

They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause. Psa.109:3

Comment

Working...
                        X