Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Galilee of the Gentiles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why Galilee of the Gentiles

    Since Galilee was part of Israel why is it referred to as "Galilee of the Gentiles" in Matthew 4:15?

    Matthew 4:15 KJV
    The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles;

  • #2
    I have heard that the northern area of Galilee was known as Decapolis (ten cities, among which were Tyre and Sidon) and this was a major hangout for the Roman soldiers stationed in the area who were off duty. It was an area of great debauchery which is one reason Jesus went up in that direction later in His ministry. He went there to get away from the Jewish leadership who would not go near that area.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Carlton View Post
      Since Galilee was part of Israel why is it referred to as "Galilee of the Gentiles" in Matthew 4:15?

      Matthew 4:15 KJV
      The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles;
      From about 740 to 732 BCE, Assyria invaded, defeated and carried away the ten northern Tribes of Israel. They populated the land with low-life Israelites and Gentiles, from which the Samaritans came. This was a consequence of breaking the Law (see Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28). It should have been "Galilee of Israel", but the curses of the Law made it "Galilee of the Nations" to show that our Lord Jesus came in Israel's crisis. Israel's problems seemed to be the conquering nations, but it was really their sinning against the Law. Under Joshua, the Judges and David, Israel was mostly invincible. But when they sinned they were chastised by foreign kings ruling them.

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow on both those answers....from Doug Brents and Walls...Now can both you please tell me where you learned what you've written...even if you can't recall exactly where tell me what you can...that is as far as what your answers are based on...this is getting interesting...thank you for your answers...they are both remarkable...Anything I can learn about Samaria is interesting...that is...how did a people get to a point where the creator of the universe tells them as much that "you guys don't know what you worship"...

        John 4:22 KJV
        QUOTE:
        Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
        UNQUOTE

        But notice the rest of the story how grace steps in...and the woman at the well turns into one of the first evangelists!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Carlton View Post
          Wow on both those answers....from Doug Brents and Walls...Now can both you please tell me where you learned what you've written...even if you can't recall exactly where tell me what you can...that is as far as what your answers are based on...this is getting interesting...thank you for your answers...they are both remarkable...Anything I can learn about Samaria is interesting...that is...how did a people get to a point where the creator of the universe tells them as much that "you guys don't know what you worship"...

          John 4:22 KJV
          QUOTE:
          Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
          UNQUOTE

          But notice the rest of the story how grace steps in...and the woman at the well turns into one of the first evangelists!!!
          There is an author who was highly regarded in the Victorian era, a brother called G. H. Pember (died 1910). Although out of print, you can get his books at Schoettle Publishing Co. I think he wrote a four-volume series on "The Great Prophecies .... ". You'll need time though as each volume is 500-600 pages.

          https://www.schoettlepublishing.com/


          God bless your efforts.

          Comment


          • #6
            https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover
            thanks found it on line...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Carlton View Post
              Since Galilee was part of Israel why is it referred to as "Galilee of the Gentiles" in Matthew 4:15?

              Matthew 4:15 KJV
              The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles;

              Mark 14:70-71 King James Version (KJV)

              70 And he denied it again. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech agreeth thereto.

              71 But he began to curse and to swear, saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak.



              Peter was accused of being a Galilaean (of Galilee) and this he denied.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Walls View Post

                There is an author who was highly regarded in the Victorian era, a brother called G. H. Pember (died 1910). Although out of print, you can get his books at Schoettle Publishing Co. I think he wrote a four-volume series on "The Great Prophecies .... ". You'll need time though as each volume is 500-600 pages.

                https://www.schoettlepublishing.com/


                God bless your efforts.
                Have you read it?

                You do not have to read much before the gears begin to turn.

                I'm reading from Carlton's #6 post, not word for word, yet at page 29 it appears his thought pattern concerning man and what is going on presently ie church leads to this verse in James 1:18 having counselled, He did beget us (church) with a word of truth, for our being a certain first-fruit of His creatures.

                a kind of first-fruit, with other fruit to follow?

                Maybe a dispensation of them before all become as them. Brings to mind; Eph 1:1-10 - 1-9 church 10 the rest.

                Thoughts?

                A ? I asked somewhere maybe not on this forum. Are the first-fruit of James 1:18 the exact same first-fruit of Rev ch 7 & ch 14:1-4?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by percho View Post

                  Have you read it?

                  You do not have to read much before the gears begin to turn.

                  I'm reading from Carlton's #6 post, not word for word, yet at page 29 it appears his thought pattern concerning man and what is going on presently ie church leads to this verse in James 1:18 having counselled, He did beget us (church) with a word of truth, for our being a certain first-fruit of His creatures.

                  a kind of first-fruit, with other fruit to follow?

                  Maybe a dispensation of them before all become as them. Brings to mind; Eph 1:1-10 - 1-9 church 10 the rest.

                  Thoughts?

                  A ? I asked somewhere maybe not on this forum. Are the first-fruit of James 1:18 the exact same first-fruit of Rev ch 7 & ch 14:1-4?
                  I have about six works of Pember and have read them sporadically. I cannot claim to have done a cover to cover of each volume, except "Earth's Earliest Ages". But for a Victorian his style is easy and clear. Darby, Kelly and the like tended to write long sentences with parenthesis - I suppose because there minds worked so well and they were masters of the ancient Hebrew and Greek. Govett was the best I think, but he writes as a MA to MA's. He expects you to know the Bible well and be true to the grammar. His work on the Ten Virgins goes to 96 pages I think. He is very concise, but his Victorian English can take some concentration.

                  As to James 1:18 the answer is no. James speaks about being "begotten by the Word of Truth". This is our rebirth as sons of God (Jn.1:12-13). God is in the process of recovering man and the earth. His New Creature starts with us and our rebirth. Those in Christ are a New Creature (2nd Cor.5:17). I could not find "Firsfruits" in Revelation Chapter 7, but those of 14:1-4 are those Christians who were ripe or mature before the others. In Matthew 13 the parable of the sower shows that God expects us to grow to maturity and produce fruit. And He sais that the end of the age is like a harvest. So if we study a harvest, bith in nature and in the Bible, we find that there is ONE harvest, ONE crop, but three distinct "gatherings".
                  1. Firstfruits - those who took the rain and the heat to mature early. They are taken into the farmers's HOUSE
                  2. The General Harvest - those who need some extra time, heat and dryness to become mature. They are taken into the BARN
                  3. The Gleanings - those who are ripe but are left for the poor, widows and fatherless. An example of this is the Two Witnesses of Revelation 11. They are left in the field (the world) to profit Israel, who are still "Lo-ammi" - without a husband, without a father and poor in faith - because "they are not God's people".
                  The Firstfruit of James 1:18 is by rebirth which is by FAITH. The firstfruits of Revelation 14 are those who, by denying their souls, and carrying their crosses, plus having an intimate walk with Jesus, are ripe first - mature Christians.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Walls View Post

                    I have about six works of Pember and have read them sporadically. I cannot claim to have done a cover to cover of each volume, except "Earth's Earliest Ages". But for a Victorian his style is easy and clear. Darby, Kelly and the like tended to write long sentences with parenthesis - I suppose because there minds worked so well and they were masters of the ancient Hebrew and Greek. Govett was the best I think, but he writes as a MA to MA's. He expects you to know the Bible well and be true to the grammar. His work on the Ten Virgins goes to 96 pages I think. He is very concise, but his Victorian English can take some concentration.

                    As to James 1:18 the answer is no. James speaks about being "begotten by the Word of Truth". This is our rebirth as sons of God (Jn.1:12-13). God is in the process of recovering man and the earth. His New Creature starts with us and our rebirth. Those in Christ are a New Creature (2nd Cor.5:17). I could not find "Firsfruits" in Revelation Chapter 7, but those of 14:1-4 are those Christians who were ripe or mature before the others. In Matthew 13 the parable of the sower shows that God expects us to grow to maturity and produce fruit. And He sais that the end of the age is like a harvest. So if we study a harvest, bith in nature and in the Bible, we find that there is ONE harvest, ONE crop, but three distinct "gatherings".
                    1. Firstfruits - those who took the rain and the heat to mature early. They are taken into the farmers's HOUSE
                    2. The General Harvest - those who need some extra time, heat and dryness to become mature. They are taken into the BARN
                    3. The Gleanings - those who are ripe but are left for the poor, widows and fatherless. An example of this is the Two Witnesses of Revelation 11. They are left in the field (the world) to profit Israel, who are still "Lo-ammi" - without a husband, without a father and poor in faith - because "they are not God's people".
                    The Firstfruit of James 1:18 is by rebirth which is by FAITH. The firstfruits of Revelation 14 are those who, by denying their souls, and carrying their crosses, plus having an intimate walk with Jesus, are ripe first - mature Christians.
                    My basis for asking, The first-fruit of Rev 14:4 are 144000 which I believe to be the 144000 of Rev 7, 12000 from twelve tribes and James is written to: James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by percho View Post

                      My basis for asking, The first-fruit of Rev 14:4 are 144000 which I believe to be the 144000 of Rev 7, 12000 from twelve tribes and James is written to: James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
                      The differences between the 144,000 of Chapter 7 and those of Chapter 14 are immense. The only common thing is the symbolic number of 144,000. For instance;
                      • Those of 7 are clearly Israel who did not believe - Those of 14 are believes
                      • Those of 7 are Sealed so the Great Tribulation cannot hurt them- Those of 14 are in heaven and miss the Great Tribulation
                      • Those of 7 are on the earth - Those of 14 are where the 24 Elders and the four Creatures are - heaven
                      • Israel are in chastisement because they rejected and murdered the Lamb - Those of 14 "go wherever the Lamb goes"
                      • Those of 7 are Sealed - those of 14 have the Father's name in their foreheads
                      • Those of 7 must stay on earth and pass through the Great Tribulation - those of 14 are "redeemed FROM the earth"
                      So, if these two companies of men are so different, why do they have the common number of 144,000? The answer is that a round number like that is symbolic. When Ezra, Haggai and the 2.55 of Judah returned to build the second Temple, God numbers them precisely (see Ezra 2). The number 144 is found in New Jerusalem, 12 thousand furlongs time 12 thousand furlongs. Twelve is the Number of God's People - 12 Tribes and 12 Apostles. And 1,000 is the measure of New Jerusalem made up of Christians who are the Walls, and Israel who are the Gates. So 144,000 is a number of a company of men who REPRESENT ALL GOD'S PEOPLE. We know that the God keeps a REMNANT to achieve His goals, and this REMNANT stand for all of God's people. So the Israeli REMNANT predicted in Romans 9 and 11 are designated 144,000. How do we know that they are but REPRESENTATIVE? Because one Tribe is missing - Dan. And the 144,000 of Chapter 14 are the Overcomers that Christ was calling for out of the Churches in Revelation 2 and 3.

                      I hope this helps.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X