Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honey out of a dead lion...right or wrong to eat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey out of a dead lion...right or wrong to eat...

Regarding Judges 14:5-9

I assume eating honey was permissible...but would eating honey that had been in a dead lion be considered unlawful...or wrong in some way according to Jewish
    dietary law?...if so that would probably be why Samson didn't tell his parents where the honey came from...if it wasn't considered unlawful then I would guess he just didnt want to gross them out...Samson obviously had an iron stomach and wasnt bothered enough by it to turn it down...maybe Samson had a sweet tooth...

Judges 14:5-9 KJV 5 Then went Samson down, and his father and his mother, to Timnath, and came to the vineyards of Timnath: and, behold, a young lion roared against him.
    6 And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand: but he told not his father or his mother what he had done.
    7 And he went down, and talked with the woman; and she pleased Samson well.
    8 And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion.
    9 And he took thereof in his hands, and went on eating, and came to his father and mother, and he gave them, and they did eat: but he told not them that he had taken the honey out of the carcase of the lion.

Touching the dead was against the Nazirite vow (Num 6:1-12), which Samson's mother had taken on his behalf before he was conceived (Judges 13:5). So it was not eating the honey that was wrong, but the touching the dead thing which Samson was forbidden to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlton View Post
      Regarding Judges 14:5-9

I assume eating honey was permissible...but would eating honey that had been in a dead lion be considered unlawful...or wrong in some way according to Jewish
      dietary law?...if so that would probably be why Samson didn't tell his parents where the honey came from...if it wasn't considered unlawful then I would guess he just didnt want to gross them out...Samson obviously had an iron stomach and wasnt bothered enough by it to turn it down...maybe Samson had a sweet tooth...

Judges 14:5-9 KJV 5 Then went Samson down, and his father and his mother, to Timnath, and came to the vineyards of Timnath: and, behold, a young lion roared against him.
      6 And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand: but he told not his father or his mother what he had done.
      7 And he went down, and talked with the woman; and she pleased Samson well.
      8 And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion.
      9 And he took thereof in his hands, and went on eating, and came to his father and mother, and he gave them, and they did eat: but he told not them that he had taken the honey out of the carcase of the lion.

Carlton,

We find in the story about Samson and specifically about this part is that God was setting up a time when He would deal with the Philistines, deliver Israel from them. To do this, Samson's "eye" is turned to a Philistine woman and in the course of this setup by God, Samson's experience with the lion is just one step leading up to God's will to destroy the Philistines. After all, Israel had to "kill" off all enemies to truly experience the "sweetness" of the land that, was promised to them.

Plenty of times many in the OT were led to not "adhere" to various statutes of the Law. It couldn't save them, it couldn't make anyone righteous, etc. It taught what was true sin at least.

I don't think "breaking" the Law is an issue with God because He knew the Israelis would NEVER be able to honor it 100% anyway.

Edit: In rereading the thread, what I posted about is about verse 4. You started quoting at verse 5.
      --
      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

Comment

Thanks doug and slug...
        Yes I recall touching something dead defiled jews...but I was hoping someone knew specifically that the honey out of a dead lion broke a specific law....I was trying to determine where Samson's head was at...that is...was he so ungodly he just didnt care he broke the law...he irritated me right from the get go...going for a philistine girl instead of sticking to the jewish ones...sadly he seems to be a figure to learn what not to do....I too have messed stuff up like Samson...but by God's grace He forgave me...and I learned from my mistakes...samson story sounds like he may have learned from his mistakes at the end...but once they took his eyes the only thing he could do for God was one big huge last kill...had he been a Godly man he maybe could have judged isreal another 20 years...

Comment

"Honey out of a dead lion...right or wrong to eat..."

Hi Carlton,
          I think most likely the lion is a picture of Christ. After all, Christ is the Lion of the tribe of Judah. Honey is a picture of the word of God. When Jesus died on the cross it was so that he could give the word of God to others that they might live.

Comment

Thanks birdy...I'll try and keep that one in mind...

Comment

Working...
            X