No announcement yet.

How Do You Establish a Daily Practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion How Do You Establish a Daily Practice?

Hi everyone!

I am hoping to learn some habits from some of the more seasoned & experienced people on the Bible Forums board.

Establishing a daily practice of reading the Bible has been daunting.

Is there a set "schedule" that you have or recommend for people to get constant exposure to the Bible?

I can't seem to sit down for more than 15 minutes without getting distracted recently. I know it's important to practice daily.

I know there are some services out there that will send you a Bible Verse via Text Message daily like (https://biblehint.com) - I'm not sure if people have had any luck with them or not? I figure maybe I shouldn't fight technology anymore and use it to help me out a little bit.

Does anyone have any creative ideas or solutions here?

Thank you and God bless!

The first step is actually to not set a schedule for yourself, but just start reading something that interests you or you feel like you want to know more about. Maybe there's a book that you rarely hear mentioned and are curious? Or are you dealing with something in your personal life that you can search for a Biblical perspective on? The key is to just start reading the Bible out of your own needs rather than having a ritual/schedule that forces you to read. These might be good for getting you through the Bible if you're self-disciplined enough, but it won't benefit you spiritually without the right focus.

Second, you'll need to come at it with the right end goal. The whole set of Scripture is meant to point you to a relationship with Christ and reconciliation with God. So a good place to start if you're easily losing attention might be either the gospels or Romans or Psalms. And consider how it applies to you personally. Outside of this, having a daily devotion won't benefit you.

You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; but it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. (John 5)

There are plenty of people who can get past that "15 minutes", but fewer who will continue in prayer and repentance. Once these seeds have been planted, you will naturally develop a regular reading as your spiritual appetite develops for more depth and understanding of God's mercy and love towards yourself and others. Then within this context, you might want to download a Bible app or have a physical copy that you carry around, because sometimes you will be in the middle of the day and something will be laid on your heart to seek out. But this won't be grown by prioritizing a schedule, if that makes sense.
    「耶和華聖潔無比,獨一無二,沒有磐石像我們的上帝。
    撒母耳記上 (1 Samuel) 2:2

Comment

Start by playing a Bible CD in the Car. You can even download some for free and burn them to CD.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianMan View Post
        Hi everyone!

Establishing a daily practice of reading the Bible has been daunting.

Is there a set "schedule" that you have or recommend for people to get constant exposure to the Bible?

I can't seem to sit down for more than 15 minutes without getting distracted recently. I know it's important to practice daily.

I know there are some services out there that will send you a Bible Verse via Text Message daily like (https://biblehint.com) - I'm not sure if people have had any luck with them or not? I figure maybe I shouldn't fight technology anymore and use it to help me out a little bit.

Does anyone have any creative ideas or solutions here?

Thank you and God bless!
        https://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/...eng/engwebn2da

Comment

Working...
        X