Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practically speaking, what does this passage mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practically speaking, what does this passage mean to you?

Eph 2:8-9 - "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."

Please don't just quote other passages. What does this passage mean to you in your own words?

Thank you.

Salvation from my sins, is not something I can do by works (selling tires, giving away free pizzas, helping little old ladies across the street, etc...).
    It is a gift of God's great Grace and Love for me, that he gives to me, that only He can give me.
    If anyone claims to have salvation, and then tells you they have it by boasting of the great works they have done to earn it, don't believe them.

That's how I understand it.
    Jesus is YHWH the eternal Great I AM.
    • Jesus said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I AM from above: ye are of this world; I AM not of this world. if ye believe not that I AM He, ye shall die in your sins. John 8:23
    • " I YHWH the LORD, the first, and with the last; I AM He. Thus saith YHWH the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer YHWH the LORD of hosts; I AM the first, and I AM the last; and beside me there is no God.” Isaiah 41:4,44:6
    • "And [the son of Man] laid his right hand upon me, saying Fear not; I AM the first and the last: I AM He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I AM alive for evermore. These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive" Rev 1:17, 2:8
    • "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I AM Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Rev 22:12

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Brents View Post
      Eph 2:8-9 - "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."

Please don't just quote other passages. What does this passage mean to you in your own words?

Thank you.
      Grace and faith is of God only and freely given to mankind because through this provision from God, mankind can turn to Him for salvation. While all a person must do is "respond," to be saved, nothing mankind does can save. Responding is to turn to Jesus (believe in/trust), so the work God did through Jesus is received, resulting in salvation.
      --
      Slug1--out

~John 8:14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Thank you.
        Here are a couple translations which put it the way I believe it. Note these are not "other passages", this is the same passage which states the verse better than I might in my own words.

NLT Eph 2:8-9
        God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

And a bit more explicit...
        AMP The Amplified Bible Eph 2:8-9
        For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God; Not because of works [not the fulfillment of the Law's demands], lest any man should boast. [It is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.]
        Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

I am saved by nothing I have did or done, my mistakes, my accolades mean nothing, only me believing that Christ lived, died, and rose and is sitting at the Right hand of God, saves me by His unearned favor
          It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Thank you.
            I believe it means our dear Lord Jesus graciously offers forgivness to mankind, despite the sinful way he way treated by mankind.

Comment

That through the learned obedience of the Son unto death even the death of the cross, the obedience of faith, God the Father, raised him out of the dead, exalted him om high giving him a name above all names and allowing us to receive the sonship, adoption.

Nothing of us, the gift of God.

I do not make void the grace of God, for if righteousness be through law -- then Christ died in vain. Gal 2:21 YLT
              And if Christ be not raised, your faith, vain; ye are yet in your sins. 1 Cor 15:17 KJV ------------------------------------------ Is the resurrection necessary to your being made righteous in him? Grace?

The soul that sins, it shall die.
              What about the soul that did not sin, became obedient unto death and died for you. Could the righteousness of God be imputed to you, through a dead Christ?

Comment

And their righteousness is from Me, Says the Lord. Isaiah 54:17 Filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ; Phil 1:10
                Originally posted by percho View Post
                That through the learned obedience of the Son unto death even the death of the cross, the obedience of faith, God the Father, raised him out of the dead, exalted him om high giving him a name above all names and allowing us to receive the sonship, adoption.

Nothing of us, the gift of God.

I do not make void the grace of God, for if righteousness be through law -- then Christ died in vain. Gal 2:21 YLT
                And if Christ be not raised, your faith, vain; ye are yet in your sins. 1 Cor 15:17 KJV ------------------------------------------ Is the resurrection necessary to your being made righteous in him? Grace?

The soul that sins, it shall die.
                What about the soul that did not sin, became obedient unto death and died for you. Could the righteousness of God be imputed to you, through a dead Christ?
                If Christ had not risen, as you pointed out, we would all be false witnesses, dead in sins.

14 In righteousness you shall be established; Isaiah 54 Isaiah 51:7, Isaiah 51:8

And I will expose your righteousness and your works will not benefit you. Isaiah 57:11-13

I know your works; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. . . if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. Rev 3:1-3

Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame. 1 Cor 15:34

Comment

Can I ask you gentlemen who have answered so far:

Are you saying then that there is absolutely nothing that man has to do physically to receive salvation? Just believe in your heart (a mental exercise)? But no physical action?

Comment

Are you saying then that there is absolutely nothing that man has to do physically to receive salvation? Just believe in your heart (a mental exercise)? But no physical action?
                    No action. The believer knows and others will know of the believers redemption due to change and fruit.

God prevents from us being able to boast (take the glory) by the fact, we do NOTHING.
                    --
                    Slug1--out

~John 8:14 Jesus answered and said to them, “Even if I bear witness of Myself, My witness is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from and where I am going.~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post

No action. The believer knows and others will know of the believers redemption due to change and fruit.

God prevents from us being able to boast (take the glory) by the fact, we do NOTHING.
                      Interesting. How then do you fit Rom 10:10 into your doctrine? "For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
                      Also Matt 10:32 - "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven."

These passages indicate that confession of our belief in Jesus must be done openly, publicly, and verbally. This must then be a physical act. And these passages also say that this physical act leads to salvation, and is a condition upon which Jesus will claim us before the Father.

How then is there no physical act necessary to receive salvation?

Comment

It's not simply a mental excercise.

Being forgiven is the result of true sorrow for ones sins, realizing the terrible way God in flesh, God the Son, was mistreated, sinned against by mankind, bearing those sins which are common to all of us, and despite that horrific abuse, our dear Lord is willing to forgive.

Of course anyone who believes that Jesus freely forgives the repentant would want to serve him and our dear Savior will direct us in that way.

Comment

Interesting. How then do you fit Rom 10:10 into your doctrine? "For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
                          Also Matt 10:32 - "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven."

These passages indicate that confession of our belief in Jesus must be done openly, publicly, and verbally. This must then be a physical act. And these passages also say that this physical act leads to salvation, and is a condition upon which Jesus will claim us before the Father.

How then is there no physical act necessary to receive salvation?
                          Confession comes after belief. Meaning, confession is a product of salvation.
                          --
                          Slug1--out

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                            Confession comes after belief. Meaning, confession is a product of salvation.
                            Not according to Matt 10:32 and Rom 10:10. Both of those passages say that confession leads to salvation.

Matt 10:32 says IF you confess me, THEN I will confess you.
                            Rom 10:10 says confession is made LEADING TO salvation.

So again I ask, can you truly say that salvation occurs after only the mental exercise of "belief"? Is it not clear that salvation requires at least the physical act of confessing the Name of Jesus?

Comment

Not according to Matt 10:32 and Rom 10:10. Both of those passages say that confession leads to salvation.

Matt 10:32 says IF you confess me, THEN I will confess you.
                              Rom 10:10 says confession is made LEADING TO salvation.

So again I ask, can you truly say that salvation occurs after only the mental exercise of "belief"? Is it not clear that salvation requires at least the physical act of confessing the Name of Jesus?
                              Romans 1:6 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

John 3:14-18
                              And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

We could go back and forth with Scripture. It is clear that belief is the base requirement. Simply confessing Jesus gains no one anything if they do not first believe. Jesus even said there would be those who have confessed Him before others but were not ever known to Him.

Confession by believers can also be done without the mouth, it is not only those who can speak that are saved. For example, Jesus commands believers to be baptized in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Baptism is a form of confession. Another form of confession is partaking in the Lord's Supper.

While we are here on Earth, being spiritually reborn of the Holy Spirit should result in the necessary physical manifestation and obedience Jesus speaks of. As Slug1 mentioned, the physical confession of Jesus Christ follows by faith, it is the result of our faith in action. But it won't work the other way around, i.e. we can't be baptized without first being reborn and we can't do good works that Jesus commands without believing and "knowing" Him first. Any of that absent belief is vain.
                              Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Working...
                              X