Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Jerusalem Council—Acts 15

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Jerusalem Council—Acts 15

    At the Jerusalem council in Acts 15:19-20, a decision was made as to requirements for Gentiles turning to God:

    "Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood."

    The stipulations against idolatry and sexual immorality seem clear enough. But what about things strangled and blood? Are these things a typical American has to worry about?
    Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

  • #2
    I found a pretty good explanation in the site referenced below. I have not read any of the other pages from this author, so I do not endorse the site in general, but this particular page gives a good explanation of why this prohibition would remain.

    https://reformedhealth.net/what-exac...trangled-meat/

    Comment


    • #3
      But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness
      Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
      At the Jerusalem council in Acts 15:19-20, a decision was made as to requirements for Gentiles turning to God:

      "Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood."

      The stipulations against idolatry and sexual immorality seem clear enough. But what about things strangled and blood?
      Originally posted by Doug Brents View Post
      I found a pretty good explanation in the site referenced below. ...
      https://reformedhealth.net/what-exac...trangled-meat/
      They quickly turned from the way of [righteousness] Judges 2:17

      "I will set my face against anyone who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute themselves by following them;" Lev 20:6

      So I poured out my wrath on them because they had shed blood in the land and because they had defiled it with their idols. Ezekiel 36:18
      We become clean in Christ in all things. Christ is the fulfillment of the law. RH.Net
      For everyone who believes is justified through Christ. (Rom 10:4)
      And yet, after Christ did away with the ceremonies, God still forbade the eating of food offered to idols, food strangled, and blood. RH.Net
      But as they go their [own] way they are choked by life’s cares and bring no fruit to maturity. Lk 8:14

      Keep yourselves from idols
      We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true.
      And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 1 John 5:20-21

      Comment


      • #4
        I suppose Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 10:25-28 would be a good principle to abide by:

        "Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For 'the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.' If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, 'This has been offered in sacrifice,' then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience."

        Doug, from the article you posted it doesn't seem that we have to worry about it to much these days. But if a person's really concerned they could just follow Paul's advice.
        Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
          I suppose Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 10:25-28 would be a good principle to abide by:

          "Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For 'the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.' If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, 'This has been offered in sacrifice,' then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience."

          Doug, from the article you posted it doesn't seem that we have to worry about it to much these days. But if a person's really concerned they could just follow Paul's advice.
          Indeed. What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the Living God. 2 Cor 6:16

          For us there is but one God, the Father, who is the source of all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things [that have been created], and we [believers exist and have life and have been redeemed] through Him.
          7 However, not all have this knowledge and are accustomed to eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; 1 Cor 8:6-8

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
            I suppose Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 10:25-28 would be a good principle to abide by:

            "Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For 'the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.' If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, 'This has been offered in sacrifice,' then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience."

            Doug, from the article you posted it doesn't seem that we have to worry about it to much these days. But if a person's really concerned they could just follow Paul's advice.
            I agree. We don't really need to worry about it. But if someone makes a big deal about it, ie: someone says, "this has been offered in sacrifice." then we must not tell them that we cannot eat because that would be giving credibility to the in-credible.

            Comment


            • #7
              Now consider this, you who forget God, "turn to idolatry"...
              Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me, and to those who are upright, I will reveal the salvation of God.” Psalm 50:22-23
              Last edited by jake2020; Feb 24 2021, 02:16 PM. Reason: duplicate

              Comment


              • #8
                For all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.
                Originally posted by Doug Brents View Post
                I agree. We don't really need to worry about it. But if someone makes a big deal about it, ie: someone says, "this has been offered in sacrifice." then we must not tell them that we cannot eat because that would be giving credibility to the in-credible.
                Partake With Thankfulness
                15 I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 1 Cor 10

                Let the peace of Christ, to which you were indeed called in one body, rule in your hearts; and be thankful. Col 3:15

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jake2020 View Post
                  For all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

                  Partake With Thankfulness
                  15 I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 1 Cor 10

                  Let the peace of Christ, to which you were indeed called in one body, rule in your hearts; and be thankful. Col 3:15
                  Jake, I really wish you would say what you mean, instead of posting nothing but random verses from the Bible. It is impossible to tell what you are trying to say from the passages you quote. I am not trying to criticize. I would like to know what you think, but from the passages you quote, I cannot tell if you agree, disagree, or have no clue what is being discussed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jake2020 View Post
                    But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness...

                    For everyone who believes is justified through Christ. (Rom 10:4)

                    Keep yourselves from idols
                    We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true.
                    And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 1 John 5:20-21
                    Originally posted by jake2020 View Post
                    Indeed. What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the Living God. 2 Cor 6:16

                    For us there is but one God, the Father, who is the source of all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things [that have been created], and we [believers exist and have life and have been redeemed] through Him.
                    7 However, not all have this knowledge and are accustomed to eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; 1 Cor 8:6-8
                    Originally posted by jake2020 View Post
                    For all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

                    Partake With Thankfulness
                    15 I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 1 Cor 10

                    Let the peace of Christ, to which you were indeed called in one body, rule in your hearts; and be thankful. Col 3:15
                    Originally posted by Doug Brents View Post
                    Jake, I really wish you would say what you mean, instead of posting nothing but random verses from the Bible.

                    It is impossible to tell what you are trying to say from the passages you quote. I am not trying to criticize. I would like to know what you think, but from the passages you quote, I cannot tell if you agree, disagree, or have no clue what is being discussed.
                    It just so happens Doug, that random verses of the the Bible are beneficial for instructing in the way of righteousness.

                    It is clearly saying that no idolaters, those outside of the righteousness that comes by faith in Christ, will not inherit the Kingdom of God.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jake2020 View Post

                      Indeed. What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the Living God. 2 Cor 6:16

                      For us there is but one God, the Father, who is the source of all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things [that have been created], and we [believers exist and have life and have been redeemed] through Him.
                      7 However, not all have this knowledge and are accustomed to eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; 1 Cor 8:6-8
                      This is encouraging, thank you.
                      Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jake2020 View Post
                        Indeed. What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the Living God. 2 Cor 6:16

                        For us there is but one God, the Father, who is the source of all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things [that have been created], and we [believers exist and have life and have been redeemed] through Him.
                        7 However, not all have this knowledge and are accustomed to eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; 1 Cor 8:6-8
                        Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
                        This is encouraging, thank you.
                        Originally posted by jake2020 View Post
                        Now consider this, you who forget God, "turn to idolatry"...
                        Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me, and to those who are upright, I will reveal the salvation of God.” Psalm 50:22-23
                        For the life that has been reborn, His love endures forever

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X