Through the law I died to the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Through the law I died to the law

Galatians 2:19 says: "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God."

What is your take on the phrase "through the law I died to the law?" If it's through the law that I died to the law, how exactly does the law accomplish this?
    Love is patient, love is kind...

Perhaps the answer is in verse 20?

20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness[c] were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Comment

Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
      Galatians 2:19 says: "For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God."

What is your take on the phrase "through the law I died to the law?" If it's through the law that I died to the law, how exactly does the law accomplish this?
      Paul said,

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. Rom,7:9

The law convicts us of sin and by it, we are dead. So,

I through law, did die, that to God I may live (YLT).

Paul put his evil desires to death,

For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. Gal.2:18

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
        Perhaps the answer is in verse 20?

20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness[c] were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.
        Hi Mark. I was thinking something along these lines as well.

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
          Paul said,

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. Rom,7:9

The law convicts us of sin and by it, we are dead. So,

I through law, did die, that to God I may live (YLT).

Paul put his evil desires to death,

For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. Gal.2:18
          Hey journeyman. Good thoughts.

It almost seems as if he's saying that the law contains within itself the mechanism for its own self-destruction. The only thing left is God's grace.

Comment

It almost seems as if he's saying that the law contains within itself the mechanism for its own self-destruction. The only thing left is God's grace.
            That was exactly my thought. The Law had within itself the prediction of a perfect sacrifice that would do away with all sacrifice. The ONE who would keep the Law perfectly, and so pay the price to bring us life from the death the Law brings.

Comment

I think his point was, the law has the power to kill sinners. I think a good example is how after being confronted by Jesus with this truth, the men who brought the adulterer to him left without condemning her. Apparently they only wanted to be left with Gods grace.

Comment

I believe the law is meant to bring people to Christ,

we are counted as sheep for the slaughter. Psa.44:22

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints. Psa.116:15

Comment

This is a difficult passage.

I found a couple of things that might explain it. Romans 7:10 says—"The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me." The law brings death. But when a person dies they are released from the law: "Or do you not know, brothers—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives?"—Romans 7:1

So the law itself brings death; and when a person dies they're released from the law. Thus: "Through the law I died to the law."

Comment

5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit...Romans 7:4-6

Comment

Originally posted by jake2020 View Post

5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit...Romans 7:4-6
                      That's a great verse jake, thanks.

Comment

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Paul used the above text to highlight what he meant in v-19. He juxtaposed the limitations of the law (the law cannot give righteousness Rom 10:2-4) against the grace that comes from Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post
                          Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Paul used the above text to highlight what he meant in v-19. He juxtaposed the limitations of the law (the law cannot give righteousness Rom 10:2-4) against the grace that comes from Christ.
                          That's where the rubber meets the road. Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, Rom 10:3
                          So instead of offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable (1 Peter 2:5-6) to God through Jesus Christ they fall back to perdition.
                          But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul. Heb 10:39

Comment

Originally posted by jake2020 View Post
                            That's where the rubber meets the road. Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, Rom 10:3 So instead of offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable (1 Peter 2:5-6) to God through Jesus Christ they fall back to perdition.
                            But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul. Heb 10:39
                            Yes, very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Trivalee View Post
                              Yes, very true.
                              “The Lord bless you and keep you;
                              25 the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you;
                              26 the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”’
                              27 “So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them.” Numbers 6

Comment

Working...
                              X