Jesus or Yeshua?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus or Yeshua?

In the debate over whether we should call our Lord Jesus or Yeshua, there's one point that's usually overlooked though it's staring us right in the face.

Jesus' Hebrew name was almost certainly Yeshua; however, Peter, Paul and all the other New Testament writers (though Jewish) opted to refer to Him as Christ Jesus not Yeshua Hamashiach. If the Greek form was good enough for Peter and Paul—even when addressing Jews—why shouldn't it be good enough for us? Why did they never say: in order to be a complete Christian one must be sure to address the Lord as Yeshua?

Let the reader understand.
    Love is patient, love is kind...

I know that some people really put a lot of emphasis in which of these names to use for our Lord and Savior, but I don't really think it makes a difference personally.

If we refer in English to Dwayne Johnson,. we might call him "the Rock". But in Hebrew he would be "Peter". Dwayne "Peter" Johnson doesn't mean as much to us at Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson does, but it would in Hebrew. Just as Simon "Peter" meant something to them.

Just the same, Jesus the Christ in English is equivalent to Yeshua Hamashiach in Hebrew is equivalent to Jesucristo in Spanish, is equivalent to 耶稣基督 in Chinese. All are saying the same thing, just in different languages. The words are different, but the meaning is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Brents View Post
      I know that some people really put a lot of emphasis in which of these names to use for our Lord and Savior, but I don't really think it makes a difference personally.

If we refer in English to Dwayne Johnson,. we might call him "the Rock". But in Hebrew he would be "Peter". Dwayne "Peter" Johnson doesn't mean as much to us at Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson does, but it would in Hebrew. Just as Simon "Peter" meant something to them.

Just the same, Jesus the Christ in English is equivalent to Yeshua Hamashiach in Hebrew is equivalent to Jesucristo in Spanish, is equivalent to 耶稣基督 in Chinese. All are saying the same thing, just in different languages. The words are different, but the meaning is the same.
      Those are good points. If a person's native language is Hebrew, it's understandable they would use the Hebrew forms. But in English it's Christ and Jesus.

I guess my post was to point out that those of us who say "Jesus" or "Christ" aren't the least inferior to those who say "Yeshua" or "Meschiach," as some insinuate.

Paul at least spoke Hebrew and Greek but chose to address his audiences in Greek—why? He didn't say, I know your native language is Greek but you must refer to the Lord using the Hebrew form or else you're missing out on a great blessing (which is exactly what modern-day Judaizers say). No, Paul spoke to them in their own language.

Comment

I believe its clear that Yeshua was the name that he was called by his family and his disciples, pronounced the same in Aramaic (the spoken language of the day), or in temple/synagogue (where Hebrew would be spoken typically). Referring to him as Yeshua helps to retain the original language and culture of our Jewish messiah, which is honorable. The points made here about referring to him based upon the language of the people speaking whether it be English or otherwise. The connotation to Jesus in the english is certainly more familiar to most in the Western culture, however, we need to understand that the Jewishness of Jesus/Yeshua can not be denied, and it is in no way a form of "judiazing" in any way, because he ALREADY is unmistakably Jewish. We should continue to seek the original intent of the Lord's word, his holy begotten son, and the understanding of the Jewish olive tree that Gentiles are grafted into through Yeshua. I have no issue with calling him either jesus or yeshua, however, my preference is yeshua because it errs on the side or his originally called name. I don't find this a debate issue, more of an connotation and what it means for us.

Comment

Hi truthabider. You make some good points; however, the only hole in what you're saying is the clear fact that Gentiles are not called to live like Jews:

"I said to Cephas before them all, 'If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?' "—Galatians 2:14

"Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will."—Acts 15:10-11

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."—Galatians 3:28

"Judaizing" is simply attempting to force Gentiles to live like Jews. If you're comfortable with it and it's your choice that's one thing; but calling Jesus Yeshua or observing the feasts or the Sabbath won't win you any points with the Lord. This is the type of Judaizing I have a problem with.

There may come a day when the Lord returns in which we all observe Jewish customs together; but for now that day has not come.

Comment

Originally posted by pdun459 View Post
            In the debate over whether we should call our Lord Jesus or Yeshua, there's one point that's usually overlooked though it's staring us right in the face.

Jesus' Hebrew name was almost certainly Yeshua; however, Peter, Paul and all the other New Testament writers (though Jewish) opted to refer to Him as Christ Jesus not Yeshua Hamashiach. If the Greek form was good enough for Peter and Paul—even when addressing Jews—why shouldn't it be good enough for us? Why did they never say: in order to be a complete Christian one must be sure to address the Lord as Yeshua?

The name of Jesus Christ is the same in every language. And the church is accessible and understood in every language also, unlike Islam that can only be taught in Arabic.

Comment

In the Lord all the descendants of Israel Shall be justified, and shall glory. Isaiah 45:25
              Originally posted by pdun459 View Post

Now this is His name by which He will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Jeremiah 23:5-6

Comment

Working...
              X