Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As Christians we will never get along with each other..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Christians we will never get along with each other..

Not on this earth at least. Maybe when we reach the kingdom of GOD we will all be on the same page.

Think about we as christians think what we want and all percieve the bible and versus differently, which is fine. Maybe GOD wants us to use him that way. I try to take it straight forward though.

Is it just me or does this board make you go insane at times?
    I'm astounded, bewildered, confused, baffled when people tell me there are 75 million people in America that are filled with the Holy Ghost and we're the most rotten nation on earth. "Leonard Ravenhill"

Drives me totally insane too. Actually modern day christianity in many ways does not work - now I dont mean that Jesus does not work... What I mean is that modern christianity is focus inwardly - Jesus focus was outward - His ministry was focus on serving others - not on serving Himself

as long as our faith is for simple use of serving ourselves and not others - we will continue to bicker

Comment

Pretty much.

We're all too focused on differences of opinion or interpretation and the resulting debates/arguments/fights/churchsplittings...instead of focusing on being relevant to today in the here and now, and allowing God to reach people on a personal level through us.
      Always give God credit first.

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
      -Sir Toby, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

James 1:19

Comment

Some of the splits are absolutely necessary.

How many of you would want to fellowship with a church that denies Jesus was God? How many of you wan to become members, or welcome into the fold, Universalists or Unitarians?

The fact is, such splits are necessary. Even over smaller things it is nice to have denominations - when a baby is born, do we baptize him as a sign of entering into a covenant community, or wait until he has made his decision in Christ in order to be baptized?

The reason these splits will always exist - and should exist - is because our understanding of the Bible and what the Spirit tells us is fallible and subject to gross error. Likewise, such divisions can often keep the Church pure.

Comment

Originally posted by apothanein kerdos View Post
          Some of the splits are absolutely necessary.

How many of you would want to fellowship with a church that denies Jesus was God? How many of you wan to become members, or welcome into the fold, Universalists or Unitarians?

The fact is, such splits are necessary. Even over smaller things it is nice to have denominations - when a baby is born, do we baptize him as a sign of entering into a covenant community, or wait until he has made his decision in Christ in order to be baptized?

The reason these splits will always exist - and should exist - is because our understanding of the Bible and what the Spirit tells us is fallible and subject to gross error. Likewise, such divisions can often keep the Church pure.
          Necessary?
          All they do is show the outside world that we can't agree to disagree and continue working towards the same goal!

Why can't we have an atmosphere within the church of constant re-evaluation and positive correction...intead of automatically breaking off and further fragmenting the family?

Has the church EVER been "pure"?

"Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzword View Post
            Necessary?
            All they do is show the outside world that we can't agree to disagree and continue working towards the same goal!

Why can't we have an atmosphere within the church of constant re-evaluation and positive correction...intead of automatically breaking off and further fragmenting the family?

Has the church EVER been "pure"?
            Yes, necessary for the reasons I gave.

Do you think those reasons are wrong? Do you think we should fellowship and welcome into the fold Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, or people who buy into Neo-Orthodoxy or German Higher Criticism?

Comment

... I must say that this is one of Satan's greatest lies. I haveb Christian friends from different religious stand points and we have no problem what-so-ever working, playing or discussing religion together. The common thread is that each of us, Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Pentacostal and others is that we fail but everyone of us seeks after the life of servitude as we are instructed to do. The problem with most "Christians" is that they have redefined the meaning of the title, Christian.
              ... My friends and I are fully aware that we have differences of opinion about the order of worship, speaking in tongues, baptismal regeneration and a long list of other matters and at the same time we know that these secondary issues have nothing to do with the Great Commission and the lost man's route to the foot of the cross. I do not see Christians having these problems you speak of. I do see factions claiming the name of Christ having these issues but I can do no less than to try to lead them back to the cross, to obey their Master and to pray that He will refocus their attention.
              ... I believe that the most important study anyone can undertake is to, in depth, study the marriage parables, as told by our LORD Himself. I, long ago discovered that not every person in Heaven will be a member of the Bride of Christ but that the majority of those there will be the wedding guests, save from Hell but not members of the bride. I'm certainly not positive that I'll be in the Bride myself but there is nothing else that I seek after.

Comment

The way I see it, iron sharpens iron (Proverbs 27:17) and sparks fly from that. We're all at different levels of spiritual growth, and even the early church didn't see eye-to-eye on absolutely everything, starting with complaints about widows being left out, Paul and Peter falling out, false teachers being identified and warned against. We won't have perfection this side of eternity. When I look at church history, I see division arising when the Holy Spirit brings into focus an element of truth that the existing church forgot, and without overriding people's free will, dissension is inevitable, especially where gross error is concerned - there is no option then but to separate. You can't contend for the truth without coming up against someone else's opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
                  I, long ago discovered that not every person in Heaven will be a member of the Bride of Christ but that the majority of those there will be the wedding guests, save from Hell but not members of the bride. I'm certainly not positive that I'll be in the Bride myself but there is nothing else that I seek after.
                  Interesting - can you expand on this please?

Comment

Originally posted by apothanein kerdos
                    Yes, necessary for the reasons I gave.

Do you think those reasons are wrong? Do you think we should fellowship and welcome into the fold Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, or people who buy into Neo-Orthodoxy or German Higher Criticism?
                    Define "the fold".

None of us share ALL our beliefs.

Most of us fit with the Apostle's Creed, but even the inner workings of THAT are subject to questioning.

I've heard people who call themselves "Christians" say that anyone who claims to be a Christian and doesn't believe in the Trinity is a cultist, then hear OTHERS who call themselves "Christians" say that the Trinity is a heretical doctrine, and that the Holy Spirit isn't a person, but an electricity-like "force."

Who is right? Are BOTH right?

Would you call it "necessary" for a church that is otherwise strong and growing and impacting people's lives to split and hence become impotent on an issue like this?

Comment

We disagree, becasue we don't understand what the Bible teaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5
                        Doesn't that imply that there is some "secret" meaning to Scripture that none of us will ever understand?
                        Sounds too close to Gnosticism.

The Bible may or may not be what we need at a given moment.
                        The more important focus should be on staying open to what God has to say, regardless of the tool He uses to say it.

Or are you saying that the Bible teaches blind compliance with whoever happens to be the "church" authority at any given time, and that we disagree because we refuse to just nod without regard to what is being said?

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                          Why would God give us his Word if he knew we wouldn't be able to understand it? That doesn't exactly make sense, what's the point of having it then?

Comment

There are some meanings to scripture that are only discernable by the Spirit - the Bible teaches us that. I think a couple of things

A) Some people quote scripture out of context - but I have a deeper theory here and that is alot of people READ the scriptures out of context. In Hermenuetics one studies the Bible in immediate relation to the time and the place of its writting and then to modern day etc...
                            what was said, to who, what is the principle and so on...

many times scripture is simply read out of context

B) In similar fashion the text is perceived and translated through doctrinal philosophies - denominations and such in thsi manner we read the text through Baptist glasses or Catholic glasses or insert whatever name you like best

Is that all wrong? Yes of course, but it's not heretical persay... The heresy of it all is the seperation that occures... this is most unfortunate since the principle prayer of Jesus Christ was "that they may all be one"

Comment

Originally posted by faithfulfriend View Post
                              Why would God give us his Word if he knew we wouldn't be able to understand it? That doesn't exactly make sense, what's the point of having it then?
                              It's because we are lazy and don't study it. We study commentaries.

Comment

Working...
                              X