is it ok to play video games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it ok to play video games?

hello, im not sure what the age ratio is here in this forum, but i was wondering how many of you play video games and if it is ok to participate in them, as well as movies that are not christian.

there are many things that are not "good" for you. Do you know the old saying "you are what you eat"? It goes the same for your mind and heart.

It does not hurt anything to watch a movie that is not christian. The part that crosses the line is just how ungodly is the movie you are watching. I grew up with John Wayne but it really does not help in my growth with the Lord. We should remember that all things should be with moderation. There are many times I like to bowl on the Wii with the kids but we do not do it all the time. When watching TV, playing video games, or fishing becomes all you want to do, then that thing becomes a god to you.

A good way to look at is how much time do I spend talking about the Lord, reading about the Lord, and praying and singing to the Lord, compared to the time I spend with video games or movies?

I hope this helps...

Comment

My philosophy is that if you feel convicted over a certain game or movie then you shouldn't be playing/watching it. If you don't, then I don't see anything wrong with it (unless it's blatantly demonic or something).
      sigpic

Comment

k because i am a video game fan and movie fan and most of the video games and movies arnt christian so i was just wondring, moderation is key. thanks

Comment

It depends on the game and the person.

Comment

Hi bondservant4him,

When you say the games are "not Christian" do you mean they lack Christian themes, or do you mean they are ungodly or blatantly anti-Christian? Would you want your pastor looking over your shoulder as you play the games?

If you are feeling convicted about it, then you need to listen to your own conscience (and the promptings of the Holy Spirit). The problem with continuing with "iffy" things is that it can put up a wall between you and God. Do you want to move forward in your faith? Then pursue the things that will support that. If these games are interfering with that, then you know what you would need to do about that.
            Love In Christ,
            Tanya

Comment

thanks, and they arnt anti christian just not christian, it is a world war 2 game to be exact.

Comment

I'm also really into movies and games. If it's a game like Metal of honor or Call of duty, I don't see any harm, but like everyone said if you feel convicted about it then get rid of it. I recently threw away some movies and games because they were hurting me spiritually.

Bottom line, is just be carefull about what type of content you get in any type of media because it can lead you into sin, and away from God.

Comment

yeh its call of duty 4, do you have it?

Comment

Originally posted by bondservant4him View Post
                    yeh its call of duty 4, do you have it?

If you love a girl then how hard would it be to resist?

Comment

I was brought up on James Bond films. I loved Goldeneye the computer game. Both make me extremely uncomfortable now.

I won't watch James Bond films because of mainly the many women he sleeps with. But also because 10's even 100's of people are killed and it just seems this 'death' is accepted and not important.

In the game Goldeneye, the player is James Bond, continuously killing people with many different weapons. At a guess you'd kill a couple of hundred at least people to finish the game - probably nearer 500? Why would a christian want to do this? and enjoy it?

Now i play football, on a 5 year old game. The game speed is slower than modern games and takes less control of my mind/ senses.

Perhaps it's just me, i hope not though, but why would a christian want to enjoy in their leisure time war and killing? All war is extremely sad, not a thing to enjoy, even in a game. Love and God bless, Paul/ Servant of Truth.
                      1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

I try to play through every FPS game I have at least two different ways.
                        No kills that can be avoided, so only boss battles.
                        Headshot everything

Comment

Of course with cheat codes you can be invisible and / or invinsible. But it makes the game pointless, but is fun the first time you do it. Paul/ SOFTy.
                          1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                            It depends on the game and the person.
                            I'd agree with this big time. I've known people who get really, really angry when they're playing games - and that's such a clear sign to me that they shouldn't be playing. But they don't see it that way...

Be aware of how it changes your mood for the hours following, and play in moderation. Also be aware of why you're playing in the first place - if you feel like you need to relieve tension, then playing violent games is probably a really bad call. If you just want to have fun, it's obviously a very different matter, but still, approach with caution.
                            Call to Me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3
                            You put the stars in the sky and you know them by name, You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same, You are amazing, God.
                            I do not 'hope' I am saved and I do not 'think' I am saved, I know it with an absolute conviction. I know that I am saved just as I know that I think and I know that I feel. I am purchased and sealed, His possession.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                              No kills that can be avoided, so only boss battles.
                              I do this sometimes when playing Hitman but sometimes I will just see if I can kill everybody.

That may sound harsh and what not but I really don't see the big deal. I mean, it's just like if you rob a bank with a toy gun painted black and you get caught, then they will charge you with armed robbery. I think that's stupid because the gun wasn't real and you couldn't hurt anybody with it. The same with FPS games, it's not real and if you can tell reality from fantasy then it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X