Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Why So Many Different Theologies?

Why don't Christians have the same theology?

What is the matter? I believe it is carnality. I believe carnality has been disguising itself as spirit, hence every man is right in his own eyes.
    Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

You are right! You are absolutely right. Believe it. Yahweh has revealed to you that that the church, as a whole, can NOT be truly being led by the Spirit when ther are so many conflicting "Truths." This has been the case for the last 2,000 years.

Have you ever pondered on these words of the Lord:

John 9
    4As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.

Comment

I believe it's because we're human.

None of us can have 100% truth. Only God, who is all-knowing can. We are bound to be either inaccurate, or even if completely accurate, incomplete in our knowledge.

---------------
      There's this story that makes a good point:

Three blind men meet an elephant, and try to describe the elephant to each other.

BlindMan1 feels the elephants tail and says: Hey guys - I think I understand what an elephant is like. It's like a rope!

BlindMan2 feels the leg of the elephant, and replies: No, no, much too wide and solid to be like a rope, I'd say that it's much more like the trunk of a tree.

BlindMan3 feel the trunk of the elephant, and responds to the others: I think both of you have a point: The elephant is like a large solid tree trunk, but is also as flexible as a rope.

-----------------------------

We can each try our best to understand God and absolute truth, but we are only human, are bound to differ - even sincere christians are like the blind men.

God teaches different people different truths first. We do not all learn the same truths at the same time in the same order. Carnality can slow someone's understanding of the truth, to be sure, but even without carnality, we cannot be all-knowing like God, and there are bound to be different theologies, which is to say, different understanding of what God and His truth are like.

Comment

One thing I find amazing is that the Lord left the natural nation of Israel with an established theology and doctrine. He only gave them one theology. It was evident that they got off course a few times by people doing right in their own eyes. They went apostate because they got away from the theology God gave them. Jesus revealed to the Pharisees and Sadducees that carnality was at the root of their factionalism and different theologies.

Here is the riddle. Why would the Lord come in person to establish a new spiritual people (Israel) and not leave them a theology and doctrine. According to the Second Covenant Scripture, Jesus did leave His people with one theology and doctrine straight from His mouth. So how did we go from one theology that was again given by God Himself to mutltiple and different theologies? I believe carnality is at work again and everyone is right in their own eyes.
        Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Originally posted by manichunter View Post
          So how did we go from one theology that was again given by God Himself to mutltiple and different theologies? I believe carnality is at work again and everyone is right in their own eyes.
          Well, me and my friend differ very much on theology. We both love the Lord, and are entirely dedicated to Him and doing His work. We both love to learn truth. We both know that we could be wrong - scripture is true, but our interpretation may be inaccurate.

So is he being carnal or I, that there is this difference?

Comment

Originally posted by SweetSomber View Post
            Well, me and my friend differ very much on theology. We both love the Lord, and are entirely dedicated to Him and doing His work. We both love to learn truth. We both know that we could be wrong - scripture is true, but our interpretation may be inaccurate.

So is he being carnal or I, that there is this difference?

I say this to my own shame as well. We are commanded to ensure that we in end the truth. Carnality is not truth, though it can be knowledge. Carnality always produced pride in what a person knows. Just look at some of the post and see for yourself. This includes my post as well because I have been known to slip often. Carnal theology shows itself to be just knowledge when it does not produce love, humility, and brotherly kindness. Truth also provocates a change in behavior and attitude. Carnal theology only produces more intelligence..........

As to your question, both of you guys could be carnal or just one. It depends of the manifestation of love and humility.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

There are a variety of reasons and anyone who pretends there's only 1 reason for this has a particular axe to grind. Part of the reason is, surely, carnality. Part of the reason is simply b/c God is complex. Part of the reason is b/c we emphasize different aspects of truth. Part of the reason is b/c we are imperfect human beings.
              The Matthew Never Knew
              The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Carnal theology only produces more intelligence..........
                So true. Like the Bible says, "knowledge puffs up, but love edifies." (1 Cor. 8:1)

Your comment reminds me of a quote I heard recently, I can't remember exactly what is was, but it went like this:

The devil understands true theology better than any of us, and is a devil all the same!

Comment

1. Some people just don't remain teachable
                  2. Denominational loyalty can surpass loyalty to the text
                  3. Addiction to certainty excludes thoughtful consideration
                  4. Some only defend beliefs, they never question them
                  5. Sometimes it really is just semantics
                  6. Maybe it's not a different belief, it's a different emphasis
                  7. Beliefs look different at different stages of understanding
                  8. Some lack hermeneutical skills
                  9. Some lack historical knowledge
                  10. Pride interprets passages toward self
                  11. Loyalty to theological systems and labels
                  12. Some allow the world to influence their interpretations
                  The Matthew Never Knew
                  The Knew Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by matthew94 View Post
                    1. Some people just don't remain teachable
                    2. Denominational loyalty can surpass loyalty to the text
                    3. Addiction to certainty excludes thoughtful consideration
                    4. Some only defend beliefs, they never question them
                    5. Sometimes it really is just semantics
                    6. Maybe it's not a different belief, it's a different emphasis
                    7. Beliefs look different at different stages of understanding
                    8. Some lack hermeneutical skills
                    9. Some lack historical knowledge
                    10. Pride interprets passages toward self
                    11. Loyalty to theological systems and labels
                    12. Some allow the world to influence their interpretations
                    You forgot the 13th reason, and the ultimate reason:

Ezekiel 14
                    4 Therefore speak to them and tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the LORD will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry.

The reason there are so many theologies and denominations is because Yahweh Himself answers people according to whatever beliefs they already have established in their heart. That's why everyone is so convinced they're hearing from the LORD and that their belief is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
                      You forgot the 13th reason, and the ultimate reason:

Ezekiel 14
                      4 Therefore speak to them and tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the LORD will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry.

The reason there are so many theologies and denominations is because Yahweh Himself answers people according to whatever beliefs they already have established in their heart. That's why everyone is so convinced they're hearing from the LORD and that their belief is correct.

Some of the idols being the churches we build at the expense of the true church (people needs not being met), theologies we build at the expense of unity, and traditions that do not produce the righteousness of God.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

The facts remains that Natural Israel wrongs judged to be in sin for having multiple theologies when God left them with one. How is the present body any different when Jesus left us with one doctrine, which He left with the apostles. Any other theology than the one Jesus taught is sin.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

The facts remains that Natural Israel wrongs judged to be in sin for having multiple theologies when God left them with one. How is the present body any different when Jesus left us with one doctrine, which He left with the apostles. Any other theology than the one Jesus taught is sin.
                          It is no different. History repeats itself again and again. Human nature is human nature. It doesn't matter what culture.

But remember, this is all by Yahweh's design. However, at this time, at the beginning of the "third day" since Christ established the church, He is getting ready to call out a people who will be united as one, and prepare the way for His return. He is getting ready to call a bride out of the body.

Comment

Why don't Christians have the same theology?

What is the matter? I believe it is carnality. I believe carnality has been disguising itself as spirit, hence every man is right in his own eyes.

Mainly because someone in the 16th Century believed that the Scriptures could be read by an individual to draw his own conclusions without any knowledge and/or consideration for other people or - more importantly - without any knowledge and/or of historical Christian theology or practice.

As a result, based upon this legacy, whomever reads the Bible can draw their own unique conclusion, brand them as (allegedly) teachings flowing from God's word and therefore the correct and unassailable "truth". This paradigm, which is essential to the contental Reformation, has led to over 30,000 denominations in the US alone each with their own spin on theology, practice, and church governance and each considers itself unassailable because they, allegedly, have developed their theology, practice, and governance based upon the teachings of the Bible.

As a result, as all believe they are "Bible based" (based upon their own reading of it, of course) they refuse to use any objective standard to guage whether their beliefs are actually consistent with the Bible.

The above, in a nutshell, answers your question. Take note that from the year A.D.33 (the founding of Christianity) to 1054 there was one Christian denomination. From 1054 to 1517 there were two denominations seperated for political reasons. From 1517 to the present, tens of thousands of theologically diverse denominations sprang up. What happened in 1517? The advancement of the idea that the Scriptures could be read by an individual to draw his own conclusions without any knowledge and/or consideration for other people or - more importantly - without any knowledge and/or of historical Christian theology or practice.
                            “What Scripture doth plainly deliver, to that first place both of credit and obedience is due; the next whereunto is whatsoever any man can necessarily conclude by force of reason; after these the voice of the Church succeedeth. That which the Church by her ecclesiastical authority shall probably think and define to be true or good, must in congruity of reason over-rule all other inferior judgments whatsoever” ( Laws, Book V, 8:2; Folger Edition 2:39,8-14).

Comment

God is beyond our finding out, His ways above our ways - could it possibly be that some have simply seen a side of God that we have not? A element of God revealed to them for personal growth and they then made a doctrine of it?

I think we seek to many times to define and subscribe God to a select existence of laws and confinements and this is error. God has many facets to Himself - I rarely find myself arguing over doctrines these days unless they deteriorate the message of the Gospel and the saving power of Jesus Christ or the grace by which we are essentially saved.

Do I care about:
                              eternal security
                              baptism of the Holy Spirit
                              post pre mid trib rapture

nah! Why should I? What I want to know is : Do you love Jesus Christ with all your heart, mind, soul and strength? If the answer is Yes - I'm good with that

Comment

Working...
                              X