Hours and hours of wasted time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours and hours of wasted time

Are not we as Christians held accountable for the way we spend our time here on this earth?

Why, then, do Christians spend so much time in empty, worldly pursuits that do nothing for the Kingdom of God? I am talking about all the countless things Christians do for "entertainment" in this day and age....tv, movies, novels, magazines, shopping (not for necessities, but as a pastime), sports, video games, surfing the net, etc (there are numerous examples, but those are a few).

I know there are people who will say "As long as it's not X-rated, it's fine", but IS IT? How are all of the countless hours we spend entertaining ourselves going to hold up when we stand before our Lord Jesus Christ?

Is there Scripture that speaks to wasted hours/days/years that could have been spent in service to the Lord but was not?

Is there ever a time when we have prayed enough, worshiped enough, studied/read the Bible enough, served in the church/community enough, shared the Gospel enough that we reach a point when the pursuit of these things is justifiable?
    My Blog

Originally posted by Whispering Grace View Post
    Are not we as Christians held accountable for the way we spend our time here on this earth?

Why, then, do Christians spend so much time in empty, worldly pursuits that do nothing for the Kingdom of God? I am talking about all the countless things Christians do for "entertainment" in this day and age....tv, movies, novels, magazines, shopping (not for necessities, but as a pastime), sports, video games, surfing the net, etc (there are numerous examples, but those are a few).

I know there are people who will say "As long as it's not X-rated, it's fine", but IS IT? How are all of the countless hours we spend entertaining ourselves going to hold up when we stand before our Lord Jesus Christ?

Is there Scripture that speaks to wasted hours/days/years that could have been spent in service to the Lord but was not?

Is there ever a time when we have prayed enough, worshiped enough, studied/read the Bible enough, served in the church/community enough, shared the Gospel enough that we reach a point when the pursuit of these things is justifiable?
    Yes, more time with the King is far better than all of the wasted hours.

Ps 119:127 Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.

Comment

Whatsoever you do, do unto the Lord. I've had God teach me while I was watching a movie. In whatever one does, we should do so unto the Lord and pray without ceasing. That can be done while doing many, many different things including those things that are for pleasure.
      Matt 9:13
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
        Whatsoever you do, do unto the Lord. I've had God teach me while I was watching a movie. In whatever one does, we should do so unto the Lord and pray without ceasing. That can be done while doing many, many different things including those things that are for pleasure.
        This is an honest question, but how does one play a video game "unto the Lord"?

How does sitting back and watching a sitcom on tv glorifying God?

Does the Bible address spending hours in self-focused pursuits of entertainment and "fun"?
        My Blog

Comment

Does the Bible address spending hours in self-focused pursuits of entertainment and "fun"?
          I'm not Brother Mark but I will try to answer from my own experience.

There have been times when I have wrestled with a theological question and spent hours upon hours studying and praying for "the" answer. I will leave it in the Lord's hands to direct me as He will. Hours, maybe days later, I will be reading or watching the eveing news (some pursuit for my relaxation) and suddenly, the answer will come as clear as a bell.

I think we all need to "rest" here and there, otherwise we are suseptible to burn out.

Hope that helps a bit.
          V
          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
          - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I don't think that all of that stuff is really wasted time. I think Solomon puts it best in Ecclesiastes when he states "who knows what's good for a man during his brief time under the sun." I think we should enjoy the time we have here for whatever it's worth. I have found that those who are less focused on a pursuit of self righteousnous, are generally those less likely to feel as if they are deserving of Christ's sacrafice, and are more inclined to be less judgemental of others.

In Christ,

Stephen

Comment

The same way one works unto the Lord, or fishes unto the Lord. He is our focus in all things. The Lord and I continue to speak with each other while I am doing different things. Even when my focus becomes completely on the task at hand, he has interrupt capability.

Scripture doesn't teach against fun. It does teach against loving pleasure more than one loves God.
              Matt 9:13
              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
              NASU

Comment

Wispering Grace - thank you for expressing what i often feel. I have built up so many excuses for not doing the Lord's work: I have also boasted about doing a few hours a week and spending a minute % of my money on that work. It's time for most of us to WAKE UP, stop letting satan take us down time wasting turning - and start focusing on the kingdom a lot more.

Thank you again for starting this topic and i hope i can gain encouragement both from your posts here and other members.

SofTy
                1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Wispering Grace - I too thank you for expressing That...

I just posted in another thread, on how I'd managed to re-read the entire Bible in just over four months, simply by eliminating my biggest "time-wasters", and putting it all into Bible reading.

Now I am out researching better Bible study materials for the family...

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
                    I think we should enjoy the time we have here for whatever it's worth.
                    I agree...but as Christians, where does our pleasure and joy come from?

I have found that those who are less focused on a pursuit of self righteousnous, are generally those less likely to feel as if they are deserving of Christ's sacrafice, and are more inclined to be less judgemental of others.
                    I don't think striving to live a godly, holy life is "self righteousness", nor do I believe trying to live in such a way leads one to be judgmental.

I strive to live a godly life BECAUSE I know how unworthy I am of Christ's sacrifice. His love and mercy drives me to try to please Him and give everything I can to Him.
                    My Blog

Comment

I am kind of hesitant to call it wasted time- as you never know what is considered "wasted," and what isn't. Sometimes our interests take us to places where we can witness to the other people who are there, whereas if we avoided going so as to keep from "wasting time," we would never have had that opportunity. I have been on several secular (Transformers and Star Wars) forums where there were Christians, and they happily shared the Gospel with anyone who had questions. Someone in a bookstore might strike up a conversation with you and ask you about the stuff you are interested in, and if you mention church and Christianity they might ask questions about those things. So it isn't always a waste, in fact God might be using that to reach people. It propels us into many differant areas, rather then the few we would have if we didn't do interests.

Comment

His love and mercy drives me to try to please Him and give everything I can to Him.
                        How do you please Him?
                        "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Metalwolf View Post
                          I am kind of hesitant to call it wasted time- as you never know what is considered "wasted," and what isn't. Sometimes our interests take us to places where we can witness to the other people who are there, whereas if we avoided going so as to keep from "wasting time," we would never have had that opportunity. I have been on several secular (Transformers and Star Wars) forums where there were Christians, and they happily shared the Gospel with anyone who had questions. Someone in a bookstore might strike up a conversation with you and ask you about the stuff you are interested in, and if you mention church and Christianity they might ask questions about those things. So it isn't always a waste, in fact God might be using that to reach people. It propels us into many differant areas, rather then the few we would have if we didn't do interests.

To follow your logic, is getting drunk justified if I then go into bars and share the Gospel?

I understand your point, but I don't believe the end necessarily justifies the means, so to speak.
                          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                            How do you please Him?
                            I believe I don't please Him when I waste this precious time He has given me on this earth (which I have and do, no doubt).
                            My Blog

Comment

I believe I don't please Him when I waste this precious time He has given me on this earth (which I have and do, no doubt).
                              So why and how do you please Him? Additionally, at what point are you no longer "wasting time"?
                              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X