Some things to think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some things to think about

First and foremost - please, please, please, please, please, please...I beg of everyone, don't come back on this and say, "Well, Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship!" Christianity is a religion - it has a system of beliefs that place a higher supernatural authority above the affairs of earth, it is a religion. With that said:

Does the following sum you up? Likewise, do you believe the following is accurate?

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about the style of music we sing than about the lyrical content or if the music glorifies God.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about whether Christ comes back before or after seven years of Tribulation than they are about the billions of people in need of help in the here and now.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about your apparel having John 3:16 on it than your life demonstrating it.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned with the spirituality of something rather than realizing God created it.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned with the size of their buildings and membersí pocket books than they are about the size of their membersí hearts.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about their rights as United States citizens than they are about their duties as a Christian.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about what God can do for us than we are about what we can do to further Godís purpose.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned with faith healing than they are about healing a broken spirit.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about financial prosperity than they are about being content with what God has given them.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about the proper apparel in church than they are about the salvation of the person visiting.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about being relevant to the culture than making the culture relevant to the Gospel.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about rules and regulations than they are about the grace that sets us free.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about banning homosexual marriages than they are about reaching out to homosexuals and helping to free them from their sin.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about themselves than they are about Jesus.

Ouch - a lot of that is very true. Tony Campolo had a very pithy comment on this kind of thing and the fact that children are starving to death while we live in our Christian ghettoes and navel-gaze; I won't post it because it contains a profanity, but it can be found on the Wikipedia page about him.

Furthermore, because what we have in a lot of Christianity is 'sanctified secularism,' the unsaved are prone to look at Christians and think 'Why bother - they don't have anything different to the rest of us.'

But, as with all generalisations, it's of necessity not accurate of everyone. Christendom is so sprawling it's not even possible to talk about the single 'culture of Christianity.' When I read 'The Heavenly Man' by Brother Yun, I was struck by how persecuted Chinese Christians would look at us in our comfortable Western lifestyles and actually pity us.

Comment

Originally posted by apothanein kerdos View Post
      First and foremost - please, please, please, please, please, please...I beg of everyone, don't come back on this and say, "Well, Christianity isn't a religion, it's a relationship!" Christianity is a religion - it has a system of beliefs that place a higher supernatural authority above the affairs of earth, it is a religion. With that said:

Does the following sum you up? Likewise, do you believe the following is accurate?

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about the style of music we sing than about the lyrical content or if the music glorifies God.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about whether Christ comes back before or after seven years of Tribulation than they are about the billions of people in need of help in the here and now.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about your apparel having John 3:16 on it than your life demonstrating it.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned with the spirituality of something rather than realizing God created it.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned with the size of their buildings and members’ pocket books than they are about the size of their members’ hearts.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about their rights as United States citizens than they are about their duties as a Christian.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about what God can do for us than we are about what we can do to further God’s purpose.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned with faith healing than they are about healing a broken spirit.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about financial prosperity than they are about being content with what God has given them.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about the proper apparel in church than they are about the salvation of the person visiting.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about being relevant to the culture than making the culture relevant to the Gospel.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about rules and regulations than they are about the grace that sets us free.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about banning homosexual marriages than they are about reaching out to homosexuals and helping to free them from their sin.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about themselves than they are about Jesus.
      I can add that I am a part of a religion that cares more about the churches we build than the people within the churches. We build million dollars assemblies, go into debt to secular cooperations, and spend thousands on utilities while the true church (the people) are not taking care of. Churches the building are full of starving, almost homeless, and without utilities churches the people who go without while we continue to feed our golden calves. The golden calf being the buildings we seek and not the needs of the people.

I can add that I am a part of a religion who is more concern about grace, getting off for wrong doing, than about keeping the commandments, not doing wrong in the first. Grace should be a last resort, not something we keep at the ready. We should keep the commandments at the ready as the Scripture say on our door post, bed post, and hanging off our clothes.
      Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

I am part of a religion that is more concerned with the size of their buildings and membersí pocket books than they are about the size of their membersí hearts.

I am part of a religion that is more concerned about what God can do for us than we are about what we can do to further Godís purpose.

Outstanding post. Well done.
        ----------------------------------------------
        When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

That post really makes me sad, because it is so true. We spend far too much time trying to make the world look like us, and too little time trying to make ourselves look like Christ.

Excellent post.

Comment

Thank you for the wonderful post!!!

I still think if we spent more time showing the unsaved the love of Christ and less time telling them what they are doing wrong we would see a revolution the likes of which hasn't been seen since the first century.

Blessings to you for sharing this!
            V
            I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
            - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I like this thread
              If we realize there is a problem, than we should realized we have to be the ones to take action.

Comment

The problem is that every religion needs these things to operate.

Every religion has a holy man, a holy place, a holy book, and holy rules to follow.

Christianity was/is supposed to be something more. I think by way of your excellent post you help us to understand this.

Comment

27Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

be part of this religion

Comment

I am part of a religion that judges people for not bringing food to the potluck, even though they bring a smile, a kind word, a funny joke and a willing hand to help with the dishes after.

I am part of a religion that concerns itself more with what people wear to church than with the fact that they are IN church, or should be invited to church.

I am part of a religion that calls a pastor or minister 'dry' or 'boring' on a Sunday morning when the sermon does not have its usual inspiration, humor and wit, even though the pastor spent all of friday and saturday making housecalls to the sick and infirm, rather than spending the time writing an entertaining sermon.

I am part of a religion that argues about how a two parent family is best for the kids and how parents should stay together so women can stay at home full time with the kids.... while there are exhausted single moms (who are forced to play mommy AND daddy at home) sitting in the congregation, wondering why nobody making such arguments has offered any help or grace to them.

I am part of a religion where I recognize that I, too, am a hypocrite, and often focus on the wrong things. I see these examples around me, and they convict me, and remind me to be merciful to those who need mercy. They remind me to offer help to those who need it, to give people a break when they aren't perfect, to be thankful for all the hard work our pastor does, and to be grateful he's dragged himself out of bed on a sunday after a weekend of hard work.

All the things we see.... at least they serve one purpose, if not more... the purpose they serve for me is to point a mirror back at myself, and show me where I am, and where I should be. How easy it is to get off track, and how we're all capable of doing a 180 degree aboutface.
                    -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
                    It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
                    So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
                    We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
                    Warren Barfield

Comment

What about belonging to a religion that preaches doctrine other than the Word?

Comment

And here comes the twist:

What, exactly, have we done to change the ills we've seen in Christianity...other than complaining about them?

Comment

Wow. Very good post.

Comment

And here comes the twist:

What, exactly, have we done to change the ills we've seen in Christianity...other than complaining about them?
                            Mahatma Ghandi said "you must be the change you wish to see in the world". I think a lot of us (hopefully) have at least tried to start being that change within our own faith, and ALL of us need to keep at that exact pursuit as we grow, daily, as Christians. There's always room for improvement, and the first person whose actions, thoughts and ills we need to address is our very own self.
                            -- Your ~sister~ in Christ.... a "Kaffinated Kittykat"!!

ROMANS 5:8. Forgiven. Freed. Humbled. Amazed. Grateful. Relying on Christ.

Love is not a place to come and go as we please
                            It's a house we enter in, then commit to never leave
                            So lock the door behind you, and throw away the key
                            We'll work it out together, let it bring us to our knees.....
                            Warren Barfield

Comment

this is why I created the judgment post in reference towards the Body of Christ. Jesus will not accept this mess as He returns.
                              Last edited by manichunter; Jul 21st 2008, 10:48 PM.
                              Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Working...
                              X