The Law of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Law of Christ

I keep seeing these discussions about the OT law, the ten commandments, etc, and invariably someone will come along and say something like "Christians today live and die under the Law of Christ".
    So, in this thread, I would like for those to indulge me and provide the clear, concise list of those laws of Christ, and then explain what it means to be 'under' those laws.
    Now, before you go reading between the lines all the 'stuff' that I didn't say, don't. There isn't anything there. I'm not supporting OT law, I am not advocating that we live under OT law.
    It's a simple question, and it should only need a simple answer, a simple list, and that one explanation I asked for.

Acts 15:23-29 -

The apostles and elders, your brothers,
    To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:
    Greetings.
    We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Pauló men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
    Farewell.

Sounds pretty well straight to the point to me.
    ----------------------------------------------
    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Okay, thank you. Question though. Aren't all of those OT laws?
      Since the argument is that the OT laws are done away with and we are no longer under them, I am really looking for the NT laws, the laws of Christ, for the new covenant people.

Comment

Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
        Acts 15:23-29 -

The apostles and elders, your brothers,
        To the Gentile believers in Antioch, Syria and Cilicia:
        Greetings.
        We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. So we all agreed to choose some men and send them to you with our dear friends Barnabas and Paul— men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore we are sending Judas and Silas to confirm by word of mouth what we are writing. It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things.
        Farewell.

Sounds pretty well straight to the point to me.
        Does this seem like kosher laws. Eating food without blood in it. It seems wierd.
        Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

I don't think God intended us to eat meat, the same way He never intended men to have many wives and treat them like a commodity. We had to adapt because of the fall.

Regarding eating blood, God gives instructions how to drain it out of the meat and where to let it drain.

God doesn't change. Why is that so difficult a concept for some?
          Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
            I don't think God intended us to eat meat, the same way He never intended men to have many wives and treat them like a commodity. We had to adapt because of the fall.

Regarding eating blood, God gives instructions how to drain it out of the meat and where to let it drain.

God doesn't change. Why is that so difficult a concept for some?
            You don't think God intended us to eat meat? Then why did He allow us to eat meat after the flood?

Christ has made all things clean. So long as we do not cause our brother to stumble we can consume what we wish. Just as gentiles had direct access to God through Christ and thereby erasing that division between them and Israel the same is said of food. Do not make unclean what God has made clean.

Edit to add:
            Also, I see where you said this in the Blood Sacrafice thread:
            Originally posted by keck553
            Noah was told to bring 7 of each clean animals and 2 of each unclean animals. Why? Not only for food, but in sacrificial offerings to the Lord.
            Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
            Not second or third, but first.
            Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
            when He is the source of all hope,
            when His love is received and freely given,
            holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
            will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
              You don't think God intended us to eat meat? Then why did He allow us to eat meat after the flood?

Christ has made all things clean. So long as we do not cause our brother to stumble we can consume what we wish. Just as gentiles had direct access to God through Christ and thereby erasing that division between them and Israel the same is said of food. Do not make unclean what God has made clean.
              Actually this is true. God originally only told mankind they could eat only from the trees of the garden and their fruits.

Ge 2:16 - And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;

Then God allows the eating of meat as long as it does not have blood in it when we eat it. I did not remember this little pre Moses Torah. I wonder if God actually gave this command to Adam after the fall.

Gen 9:1-5 1 So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. F10 2And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. 3Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. 4But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. 5Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man's brother I will require the life of man.
              Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Kahtar, in support to your question just this : Same people will tell you that the Holy Spirit reveals nothing new, that is not written .... written where just in the NT??
                The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                God plants in our hearts
                to remind us
                there are better things ahead.
                -Holley Gerth

Comment

Let me throw in a link that shows all the Law of the NT:

http://shalach.org/BibleSearch/NTCommandments.htm

Have fun comparing all of that to the OT.

The text is too long for me to post here unless i break it up in 3 posts.

Shalom,
                  Tanja
                  Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                  2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                  If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                  http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post

Edit to add:
                    Also, I see where you said this in the Blood Sacrafice thread:
                    No, I don't think God intended us to eat meat. Where does it say Adam killed cows and sheep to survive in the Garden of Eden? He allowed us to eat meat after the flood for the same reason He let Moses allow for multiple wives.

Also, your comment to Yeshua making 'all things clean', He was referring to ritual cleanliness, not about what to eat. Look up the subject of the matter. Proper context is imperitive. The food was bread. The subject was ritual hand washing.

And no, I wouldn't cause a brother to stumble by eating meat if he abstains. I understand Paul was teaching Greeks, most of whom were vegetarians.

Context.
                    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                      No, I don't think God intended us to eat meat. Where does it say Adam killed cows and sheep to survive in the Garden of Eden? He allowed us to eat meat after the flood for the same reason He let Moses allow for multiple wives.

Also, your comment to Yeshua making 'all things clean', He was referring to ritual cleanliness, not about what to eat. Look up the subject of the matter. Proper context is imperitive. The food was bread. The subject was ritual hand washing.

And no, I wouldn't cause a brother to stumble by eating meat if he abstains. I understand Paul was teaching Greeks, most of whom were vegetarians.

Context.
                      So Christ was all about ritual cleanliness?
                      Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                      Not second or third, but first.
                      Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                      when He is the source of all hope,
                      when His love is received and freely given,
                      holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                      will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Thank you all for your input so far.
                        I would just point out the focus of this thread, and encourage everyone to stick to that please.
                        Thank you Jesusinmyheart for the link. I'll look at it. Sure would have liked the list though, even if it is 3 posts long.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
                          I would just point out the focus of this thread, and encourage everyone to stick to that please.
                          Thank you Jesusinmyheart for the link. I'll look at it. Sure would have liked the list though, even if it is 3 posts long.

I was thinking the same thing Mr K. I apologize for my diverting the topic on my part.

www.woc-church.org

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
                            Kahtar, you should have said : Only those who do not sing in the choir, please answer

My apologies
                            The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                            God plants in our hearts
                            to remind us
                            there are better things ahead.
                            -Holley Gerth

Comment

Applogies accepted.Wow! Have you looked at that list?
                              After briefly browsing through that list, one thing became very apparent. Most if not ALL of them are found in the OT. They are not new laws at all, but the same laws of the OT.
                              I was rather amused by the author's note that they are 'not to be confused with the 10 commandments which were abolished with the law of Moses'

Take the very first one in the list, for instance:
                              1. Idols (Acts 15:20).
                              Is that not simply a retelling, or further clarification, of the first and second of the Ten commandments?
                              That's like saying the OT law 'Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength' is abolished, and we are now to follow the NT law 'Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength'.

Comment

Working...
                              X