This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: What is After Grace

Okay, I keep hearing this message concerning that we are saved by grace, we live under grace, and we mature in Christ by grace.

I agree with all this. I am saved by grace and in need of grace daily.

However, what is after grace? What does a believer need after they have grace?

I believe a believer needs to instructed in the commandments of God. What is next? I want to know from others what is is after grace.
    Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

www.woc-church.org

Easy. More grace.
    God himself said His grace is all we need.

Out of grace He has anointed and appointed us with His Holy Spirit.
    Therefore we are new creatures in Christ, born of His Holy Spirit. He has given us a new nature in Christ. We have the mind of Christ, share the Father heart of God.

The fact that we have a new nature is so significant. With this new nature WE ARE NO LONGER SINNERS. We still sin or miss the mark, but we are no longer sinners but Sons of God- spirit beings. We unfortunately are tempted and our flesh causes us to stumble. But unlike our life before Christ, we now hate sin. Before being born again, we were not afraid to sin or hate it. Through His death, burial and resurrection, our sinful nature was crucified through Christ and laid to rest. Through His resurrection, His new life has imparted new life into us. Christ has imputed His nature in us- righteousness, love and glory in us.

His Spirit will forever dwell in us and will raise us from the dead like Christ at a later time. This is all His work of grace for us and in our lives. He has given us His spirit to guide us, discipline us, love us, give us peace, gentleness, wisdom, kindness, faith and loyalty. Through His spirit he wishes us to use his gifts such as prophecy, healing, miracles, apostleship, leadership and other various offices so that his glorious church may prove to the rest of the world His glory and that He, Jesus, is not dead but alive.

What else has he made us? He has made us King High Priests in the heavens and on earth. As sons of God, we intercede before God the way Christ prayed to the Father to show mercy and grace towards those who don't Him. As sons of men, we point them to Jesus Christ and share in His ministry in reconciling the world to His Father. This is a priestly ministry of servant hood. Helping those and being ready to invite God into peoples lives. As Kings, he has given us His spiritual authority over demons and evil spirits. There will be a time where we will reign with him physically on earth in our new bodies.

So grace. Simply Grace.
    If you want some interesting books to understand more fully the power of God's saving, redeeming and blessed grace, check out Steve McVey's gracewalk series.
    Nothing more. Nothing less.
    My faith in Christ is righteousness!
    Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
    Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

Comment

Originally posted by manichunter View Post
      I believe a believer needs to instructed in the commandments of God. What is next? I want to know from others what is is after grace.
      As a Spirit filled believer, one needs to recognize the voice of the Holy Spirit in their life and obey that voice. It leaves the commandment of the Law behind as His Spirit guides to do His will. There is nothing after grace except learning what He has made you and given you and then continues to reveal to you as you mature.

Be warned that we can't do anything FOR God. We must simply abide IN Him so He can live through us. Don't be fooled by the flesh into thinking that there must be more then God's grace. The more you learn, the more you experience, the more you stumble and fall and get back up again, the more you realise that it's only grace that you need. Do not learn the hard way.
      Nothing more. Nothing less.
      My faith in Christ is righteousness!
      Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
      Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

Comment

love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance

Comment

It's not like we "get grace" and have attained that and go on to conquer something else. We remain covered by the righteousness of Christ though grace. Without that, we have no hope. Grace continues until God changes it. We remain under grace until we die and are judged, it is because of our physical bodies that we cannot gain salvation without it.
          Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
          Not second or third, but first.
          Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
          when He is the source of all hope,
          when His love is received and freely given,
          holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
          will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

I like the answers given. I will add simply: Relationship.

And yes, there is much teaching there.

God Bless!
            Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

“What does a believer need after they have grace?” More grace! However, God’s grace is not something we can have, not something that can be possessed. The grace of God it is to be experienced, it is a state of awareness of our true relationship with Creator and Savior.

Comment

Learning to love as God loves

Hi, manichunter!
                Welcome to Bibleforums!!
                It's great to have you here!!!
                And thanks for your good question!!
                I keep hearing ... that we are saved by grace, we live under grace, and we mature in Christ by grace. I agree with all this. I am saved by grace and in need of grace daily.

However, what is after grace? What does a believer need after they have grace? I believe a believer needs to instructed in the commandments of God. What is next? I want to know from others what is is after grace.
                I think that this question is addressed very directly by the Scriptures.

Jesus tells us to obey all that he taught, and so learn from Him!

Jesus instructed his followers (Matt. 28:18-20) -- and the apostles especially -- to go into all the world making disciples who would follow all that He commanded
                And Jesus came and spake to them, saying, "All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. Go therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And see, I am with you always, even to the end of the world." Amen.
                That is, Jesus told the apostles to make disciples who would obey what Jesus told them to do. This is not just a matter of following regulations, but of having hearts trained to obey, and to live in the spirit of Christ, as well. We can note that Jesus starts from the grace that is to be given to his followers. He says "all power in heaven and on earth is given to me" and launches into his discussion of discipleship -- of learning of him and following his ways and instruction -- by saying "therefore". Grace, the grace Christ who has all power gives to us, is our starting point; but we must go on to live in the way He is teaching us to live!!

Peter instructs us in how to do this, relying on Christ's grace and power!

Peter's second epistle starts off (1:1-15) -- just like the Great Commission -- with an emphasis on God's initiative, on Christ's work and power and righteousness, and therefore on the grace and peace that is ours through Him. Peter goes on to elaborate, however, what comes next: to our faith we must be diligent -- we must work hard -- to add virtue, knowledge, moderation, brotherly kindness, and love!! What God has called us to is unbelievably wonderful, and it is ours only by grace -- "that we should be partakers of the divine nature", that we should share in the very life of God. Thus, we escape the corruption of this world, and receive as His gift all that gives life and godliness. What a gift of grace!! But this free gift, this calling and election is something that, the Bible teaches us here, we must work hard to make our own. Thus we "make our calling and election sure"!
                1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained precious faith just like ours together with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied to you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord.

For His divine power has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who has called us to glory and virtue, and by this we are given His vastly great and precious promises: that by these you might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 So then make every effort to add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge moderation; and to moderation patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are in you, and increase to fullness, they assure that you will not be be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacks these things is blind, and cannot see ahead, and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10 Because of this, brothers and sisters, instead be diligent to make your calling and election sure: for if each of you does these things, you shall never fall, and in this way you shall be given an abundant entrance into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. So, I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know them, so you are made solid in the truth even at this moment. Yes, it is fitting, I think, as long as I am in this earthly tent, to stir you up by helping you remember, for I know that before long I must put off my earthly tent, even as our Lord Jesus Christ has showed me. And all the more, then, I will labor that you may be able, after my decease, to keep these things always in mind.
                Peter, at the point of his death, regards it as very important to keep the Christians always thinking about the need to follow the arduous path of learning to obey Christ and to live in godliness!

Paul also instructs us to learn to love, through obediently walking as Christ walked.

Paul, in a somewhat different way, urges us to have the character, the heart, the mind of Jesus -- that of loving and serving others -- in the wonderful hymn which he gives to Christ (Phil. 2:5-11). This wonderful hymn of adoration of Christ and His goodness and humility is given in the context of Paul's urging the Philippians to treat one another with love and respect, and to be humble and eager to serve. (2:1-4) Paul concludes the discussion then by urging the Philippians (2:12-13) to
                work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you both to will and to work according to His good pleasure
                The source of our salvation is God who works within us, and even gives us the desire to emulate Christ. But we, from our perspective, have to work hard at living the way we have been taught -- and even regard this as a task so crucial that we endeavor to obey "with fear and trembling" -- a kind of language that is not congenial to modern ears, but which is found concerning our discipleship throughout the New Testament, and indeed the entire Bible! The goal of our discipleship is to follow Christ, to be like Him, and allow God to remake our hearts to be like His.
                Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: who, being in very nature God, did not think equality with God something He had to grab, but emptied himself, and took upon him the very nature of a slave, and was made in human likeness. And finding himself living a human life, He humbled himself, and became obedient to death, even the death of the cross.

Though this God has highly exalted him, and given him the name which is above every name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow -- in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth -- and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
                This is the mind of Christ, the mindset that glorifies God, the very life of God lived out in human form, and -- astoundingly, with such great kindness and love to us -- this is what God gives us as a gift: that we should come to be like Jesus, and to love as God loves.

That's the lowly path of obedience and discipleship -- and it doesn't come all at once. That is why Peter instructs us how we have to work on building these things into our lives, and why Paul tells us how to put these things into effect in our lives "doing all things without grumbling or complaining, so that" we "may shine like stars in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation." (Phil 2:13)

Summary: letting God transform us into the image of Christ

Paul, like Peter and like Jesus himself, is thus telling us to learn to take on Christ's own character, by serving others and humbly obeying what God tells us to do, and developing godly character. This can only happen by the grace of God, and by faith, but it happens also only as we fix our eyes on Jesus, in hope, and strive our best to live as God teaches us to live!

Comment

Okay, I keep hearing this message concerning that we are saved by grace, we live under grace, and we mature in Christ by grace.

chal>

We will always be under grace (unmerited favor).

What is next? Follow Christ.

How do we accomplish that? Study scripture, pray and submit to God's authority. Put what you learn from scripture into practical use in your llife.
                  Last edited by chal; Jul 23rd 2008, 09:34 AM.
                  ShalomUit
                  Chal
                  <*,})+<

Ecclesia Reformata, Semper Reformanda: The church reformed and always to be reformed

Truth may be stranger than fiction, but fiction is surely stranger than truth "may be." Maybe? -chal's Third (and final!) Big Book of Little Known Thingies that Could (in fact) Become Facts (or faxed) One Day.

Comment

Originally posted by DadBurnett View Post
                    “What does a believer need after they have grace?” More grace! However, God’s grace is not something we can have, not something that can be possessed. The grace of God it is to be experienced, it is a state of awareness of our true relationship with Creator and Savior.
                    How can you experience something that you do not have, nor possess?

If you do not possess nor have - you can not experience or be aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Morse View Post
                      How can you experience something that you do not have, nor possess?

If you do not possess nor have - you can not experience or be aware of it.
                      I can take a ride in a Taxi without owing or possessing it. I experience the sweet smoke of an evening campfire, yet the smoke is not mine. I can experience the joy of a grand choir or symphony, yet the music is not mine. I can possess a memory of it, but not the music itself. I can be possessed by grace, but do not possess it. Grace cannot be encapsulated, cannot be held except as a fleeting thought/experience/awareness within human consciousness. It is of God, the stuff of Spirit, it cannot be touched, cannot be bought, possessed or given away. I live in a world of air that is necessary for my wellbeing, yet the air is not mine. I can experience grace, the very breath of God, but it is not mine to have or possess. I do not possess God - God possesses me ….

Comment

Christ's commands? Interesting. And what are the commands of Christ? Is He not God? Didn't He command Adam not to eat from the fruit of the tree of knowledge? Did He not command to 'be fruitful and multiply? Wasn't all of Creation made through Him? Or was that the "mean ol Father who gave a covenant of works through Moses, then changed His mind and flipped the switch from wrath to grace when He ran into a few Plato worshipping pagans"? Did He not command every instruction in the entire Bible and reveal the fullness of them when He came as one of us in the flesh?

Most believers in essence tell me that they use grace as a convienent tool to disobey God's commands.
                        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Do true believers in Christ claim to
                          use grace as a convienent tool to disobey God's commands.
                          ??

I agree with the poster who said Relationship!!
                          I agree with listening to the Holy Spirit and obeying.
                          I agree with reading and studying God's Word and praying.

'Tis also very true, Grace, Grace, Grace.
                          And don't forget His Mercy! We need that as well.

Grace is getting what we don't deserve. (Salvation)
                          Mercy is NOT getting what we do deserve. (Continual forgiveness)
                          IMHO
                          g
                          "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

All true. As awesome as God's grace was, His grace is, and His grace will be, grace is not to be worshipped, GOD is.

Do you agree with obeying God's Word?
                            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                              All true. As awesome as God's grace was, His grace is, and His grace will be, grace is not to be worshipped, GOD is.

Do you agree with obeying God's Word?
                              I absolutely agree that God, and God alone, is the One to worship, that it is His Word we are to obey. Of course grace is not to be worshiped, it is the "gift of God".

g
                              "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

Working...
                              X