On Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Being Wrong?

When is it ok to be wrong about spiritual/theological things? or When is it not ok to be wrong?

I'm okay with either of these; A.) I don't think it's ever okay to be wrong. I think that every single time we find ourself in the wrong, we should repent and try our best to make it right. B.) I think it's always okay to be wrong, as long as we repent and try our best to make it right.
    ShalomUit
    Chal
    <*,})+<

Ecclesia Reformata, Semper Reformanda: The church reformed and always to be reformed

Truth may be stranger than fiction, but fiction is surely stranger than truth "may be." Maybe? -chal's Third (and final!) Big Book of Little Known Thingies that Could (in fact) Become Facts (or faxed) One Day.

Comment

Originally posted by chal View Post
      I'm okay with either of these; A.) I don't think it's ever okay to be wrong. I think that every single time we find ourself in the wrong, we should repent and try our best to make it right. B.) I think it's always okay to be wrong, as long as we repent and try our best to make it right.

But we don't know that we are wrong about things. Lets take Osas and No-osas for instance. One is obviously wrong. My question is what will the consequences for being wrong? or are there consequences for being wrong? Is God going to say fugetta bout it. You at least had the basics right.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
        But we don't know that we are wrong about things. Lets take Osas and No-osas for instance. One is obviously wrong. My question is what will the consequences for being wrong? or are there consequences for being wrong? Is God going to say fugetta bout it. You at least had the basics right.
        Well, with the standard of perfection and holiness that Christians teach God as having, I don't even think any of them could say that He will take the attitude of "You at least had the basics right."

As for this OSAS/NOSAS debate - let's face it. At least one of the two sides, if not both, are preaching a false gospel and are anathema.

I am of the understanding that both sides are wrong. (Yes, it is possible, folks!)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
          Well, with the standard of perfection and holiness that Christians teach God as having, I don't even think any of them could say that He will take the attitude of "You at least had the basics right."

As for this OSAS/NOSAS debate - let's face it. At least one of the two sides, if not both, are preaching a false gospel and are anathema.

I am of the understanding that both sides are wrong. (Yes, it is possible, folks!)

Joey, I really didn't want to start an Osas/no-osas debate there are many of them already. But............you have peaked my interest. Please start another thread and explain.

Comment

Joey, I really didn't want to start an Osas/no-osas debate there are many of them already. But............you have peaked my interest. Please start another thread and explain.
            Oh no, I definitely wasn't trying to start up that whole debate. I was just referring to it because that's the example you used.

I think the board rules probably prohibit me from starting a topic specifying how both beliefs are flawed in a huge way.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
              Oh no, I definitely wasn't trying to start up that whole debate. I was just referring to it because that's the example you used.

I think the board rules probably prohibit me from starting a topic specifying how both beliefs are flawed in a huge way.
              Go to the World Religions Forum.
              http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

It should be ok.

Comment

Actually, if it's protestant doctrine it belongs here in Bible Chat. WR wouldn't apply.
                Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                Not second or third, but first.
                Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                when He is the source of all hope,
                when His love is received and freely given,
                holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

With being wrong - if we put aside all opinions and thoughts of others, all of them, and get into scripture and heed the teaching of the Spirit we will know what is and isn't wrong.

Don't take my word for anything. Or khatar's, or chal's or Joey's or anyones. Look to scripture for what it says, prayerfully, and go from there. What does the truth of scripture, God's word, say?

Comment

Go to the World Religions Forum.
                    http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

It should be ok.
                    Can't get in there! I don't think I have enough posts yet.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
                      With being wrong - if we put aside all opinions and thoughts of others, all of them, and get into scripture and heed the teaching of the Spirit we will know what is and isn't wrong.

Don't take my word for anything. Or khatar's, or chal's or Joey's or anyones. Look to scripture for what it says, prayerfully, and go from there. What does the truth of scripture, God's word, say?
                      Great advise that needs to be heeded by us all...............but it doesn't answer my question.

Can't get in there! I don't think I have enough posts yet.
                      Barnacles! You're welcome to PM me.

Comment

and, Get to postin' boy.

Comment

Great advise that needs to be heeded by us all...............but it doesn't answer my question.
                          My point - we won't be wrong if we desire to know the truth of scripture. There is a narrow path, and if our knowledge of the truth is off our walk will be off the narrow path.

If we focus on keeping ourselves open to the teaching of the Spirit through scripture, ourselves aside, we won't be wrong.

In other words - get it right, and strive toward that instead of weeding out or being concerned about what is wrong. Scripture and the Spirit won't give you a bum steer! Trust Him. He knows.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
                            My point - we won't be wrong if we desire to know the truth of scripture. There is a narrow path, and if our knowledge of the truth is off our walk will be off the narrow path.

If we focus on keeping ourselves open to the teaching of the Spirit through scripture, ourselves aside, we won't be wrong.

In other words - get it right, and strive toward that instead of weeding out or being concerned about what is wrong. Scripture and the Spirit won't give you a bum steer! Trust Him. He knows.

Then why all the polarization in Christianity?

and again what will be the consequences for getting it wrong?

Comment

Good questions. It almost makes me want to be doctrinally apathetic.

Here is the old tried and true:

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

I'm thinking just now about the error of Apollos and how the scriptures said how effective he still was:

Acts 18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.

25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

God Bless!
                              Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Working...
                              X