The Law and casting our demons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Law and casting our demons?

I was reading the book of Mark earlier and it struck me that there were demon possessed people in the synagogues and when Jesus went in and cast them out the folks said it was a new thing and that Jesus was like one who had authority unlike the teachers of the law. Why didn't the Law keepers have the authority to cast out demons?

What part of Mark?

They did have the power to cast out demons. But they were talking about the mute people. Since the only way to actually cast a demon out in the "old"(B.C.) you would have to figure out the name of the demon and cast it out of the body. Which was impossible for a person, with a spirit that makes you mute, to be able to have the demon casted out since you would need to know the name of the demon and the spirit cause the person to be mute not allowing anything to come from the mouth of the victim.

But since JESUS is LORD HE is able to cast out any demon since we are in the "new" and we all are also given this authority.
    9For zeal for Your house has consumed me,
    And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.
    Psalm 69:9

4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
    James 4:4

19 You believe that God is one You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder
    James 2:19

"5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Genesis 6:5

Comment

Only the Name of Jesus gives you the power and authority to cast out demons

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

Where do you get the idea that you have to know the "name" of the demon to cast it out?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
          Where do you get the idea that you have to know the "name" of the demon to cast it out?
          It is not necessary to name demons to cast them out. Just do it in the Name of Jesus Christ.

my God; in Him I will trust (Psa 91:2).

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, NOW is the time.

Persevere, pray and be ready for the Return of Christ.

Comment

I am curious as to where in the Bible teaches knowing the name of a demon? I have heard this before, but I am baffled as to why this belief persists .

Comment

Probably because Jesus asked the name of the demon(s) in the story of the deliverance of the Gadarene Demoniac, now everyone thinks that it is a "model" of demon exorcism...

Comment

21They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. 22The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law. 23Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an evil[e] spirit cried out, 24"What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!" 25"Be quiet!" said Jesus sternly. "Come out of him!" 26The evil spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.
                27The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, "What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey him." 28News about him spread quickly over the whole region of Galilee.

They called it a new teaching. They had not seen it in the synagogue before.

Comment

In the context, I'm not sure that the "new teaching" had anything to do with exorcism.

The "new teaching" was His approach to the Law, i.e., His teachings from the "sermon on the mount" in which He used the repeated syllogism...

"You have heard it said that [insert Law here], but I say to you [insert Jesus here]."

"You have heard it said that you shouldn't murder, but I say to you that he that calls his brother a fool is in danger of hell."

"You have heard it said that you shouldn't commit adultery, but I say to you that you shouldn't look on a woman to lust".

THAT sort of the thing was the "new teaching" with authority.

The manifestation of the demon was in response to the new teaching...the exorcism was nothing special, just what is supposed to naturally happen when a demon encounters the presence of the living Christ.
                  (Now that is a whole 'nuther can of worms.)

Comment

...............LOoK at verse 27.

Comment

I don't know where it is in the BIBLE or if it is. But I was discussing this with my friend. Who knows alot about the old testament and about old jewish customs. And in order to cast out a demon, in the "old" meaning old testament, before CHRIST JESUS. You would have to name the demon order it out. Like if your yelling at your kid and you have 2 kids. Your not going to say you go to your room if they are both present. You will name the certain child and send him/her to their room.
                      9For zeal for Your house has consumed me,
                      And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.
                      Psalm 69:9

4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
                      James 4:4

19 You believe that God is one You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder
                      James 2:19

"5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Genesis 6:5

Comment

Originally posted by DeadToSelf View Post
                        I don't know where it is in the BIBLE or if it is. But I was discussing this with my friend. Who knows alot about the old testament and about old jewish customs. And in order to cast out a demon, in the "old" meaning old testament, before CHRIST JESUS. You would have to name the demon order it out. Like if your yelling at your kid and you have 2 kids. Your not going to say you go to your room if they are both present. You will name the certain child and send him/her to their room.
                        Its just not biblical as far as I know. ................but I have been wrong before. I'll have to do me some searchin'

Comment

Working...
                        X