Too much Grace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much Grace?

Question: When preaching, is it wrong to preach often about Grace? Is there such a thing as too much Grace?

While considering this, keep in mind the need to preach judgment and honestly letting people know that we are sinful. Giving Bible references for your point along with your general opinion would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I want to read what you have to say and I will be giving my own opinion at a later time. :-)

Christi

When you turn on the lights of a (rundown) house and see roaches scurrying, do you have to tell them that they are roaches and that the should be scurrying? Of course not, they just "know" and seek out darkness.

Likewise, instead of trying to figure out a ratio of topical preaching, if we (the church), not just us pastors, would be filled daily with the Holy Spirit, and get them in the presence of an almighty and all powerful God we won't have to tell them they are sinners, they will already know.

Just my thoughts.

And before anyone even thinks about it... I am one of the hardest preachers against sin that I know.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Urban Missionary-
      That was the simple and powerful truth right there and if your church was in Maryland I would go to it in a heartbeat!!

Comment

The second you add anything to grace it ceases to be grace. Grace and __________ is not the Good News. I heard a preacher say one time that if its not good news its probably not the gospel. I heard another one say lately that we fail to preach the negative part of the gospel. IOW the bad part of the good news. Paul was accused of preaching too much grace.

Comment

I don't see how you can preach "too much" grace...because if you are then you are in essence preaching "too much Jesus" because He IS grace. It's like saying that the church should be careful not to preach too much love..impossible! Because He IS Love as well. I think as long as you are preaching the Gospel in its entirety then you have nothing to worry about.
          sigpic "My DADDY is bigger than your problems!"

~Danielle~

Comment

“If the mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin. God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong, but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world. We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides. We, however, says Peter (2. Peter 3:13) are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will reign. It suffices that through God's glory we have recognized the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world. No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day. Do you think such an exalted Lamb paid merely a small price with a meager sacrifice for our sins? Pray hard for you are quite a sinner.”
            On the day of the Feast of St. Peter the Apostle, 1521, Martin Luther

How this for too much grace.

Comment

I once heard Chuck Swindoll say that unless people accuse you of preaching a license to sin, you probably aren't preaching enough grace...

So, no...

You can never proclaim too much grace...There is nothing else to proclaim.

Comment

Zec 4:6 Then he answered and spoke unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Zec 4:7 Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it.

Zec 4:8 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
                Zec 4:9 The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you.

Comment

How about Grace (love and compassions) and truth (Law and obedience)

This is IMO the full gospel.

Shalom,
                  Tanja
                  Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                  2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                  If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                  http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RabbiKnife View Post
                    I once heard Chuck Swindoll say that unless people accuse you of preaching a license to sin, you probably aren't preaching enough grace...

So, no...

Thanks I was looking for that quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
                      How about Grace (love and compassions) and truth (Law and obedience)

This is IMO the full gospel.

Shalom,
                      Tanja
                      For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
                      Where do you get that Truth is law and obedience. Jesus is the Truth.

Comment

Where do you get that Truth is law and obedience. Jesus is the Truth.
                        IMO Yeshua is both:The Word of God that came down from Mt Sinai was IMO every part of Yeshua as much as Grace is. The reason He is truth, is because He was the only one so far that could live the Law lawfully. His whole live was a life lived after the law. A Law full of grace and truth.

Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Remember where that glory was before in the OT?

2Co 3:7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses' face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end,

It was brought to an end because it was not transferable from man to man meaning from sinner to sinner. This is the Law that made Moses face bright, because he understood it correctly, and tried to pass this on. This glory faded, because it was not made manifest in the heart of many, because it was passed on by man, who could not give life.

Joh 5:21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will.

Now this glory is passed on by Yeshua through the Spirit. It's still the Law, but it is now being passed on by the one who has the power to give life, so therefore it will not weaken.

Rom 8:3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,

Now you may wonder how the Law could be love? Simple, if it is followed no one gets hurt.....

Shalom,
                        Tanja
                        Last edited by Jesusinmyheart; Jul 24th 2008, 11:10 PM.
                        Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                        2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                        If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                        http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

So, the Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 15). Keep it up. I love the comments.

Comment

You can't understand what grace is until you understand your need for it.

This whole idea that people somehow know they're inherently sinful is bunk. If this were true, Paul wouldn't have had to write the first 7 chapters of Romans.

Comment

Originally posted by apothanein kerdos View Post
                              You can't understand what grace is until you understand your need for it.

This whole idea that people somehow know they're inherently sinful is bunk. If this were true, Paul wouldn't have had to write the first 7 chapters of Romans.

You also won't understand until you die to the law. The letter kills but the Spirit gives life. I have died to the law that I might live to Christ.

Comment

Working...
                              X