Sinners rebuffing Christians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinners rebuffing Christians

Why doesn't God kill people who tell Christians "No, I'm not interested" ?
    "What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Romaines vi.15 - 1560 Geneva Bible

Because He is a patient and a gracious God and one day they may be converted - but be sure of this - if they refuse to repent, they will regret their disinterest for all eternity......

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
      Alot of us Christians would be dead then...I mean just because someone isn't interested at first doesn't mean they won't be later. Why would you think God would need to kill them anyway? That isn't how He works...

God bless
      "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
        Alot of us Christians would be dead then...I mean just because someone isn't interested at first doesn't mean they won't be later. Why would you think God would need to kill them anyway? That isn't how He works...

God bless
        What do you think of this story?

BY: S.B. Shaw

"I AM IN THE FLAMES -- PULL ME OUT, PULL ME OUT!"

Mr. W____, the subject of this narrative, died in J____, New York, about the year 1883, at the age of seventy-four. He was an avowed infidel. He was a good neighbor in some respects, yet he was very wicked and made a scoff of Christianity. About seven years previous to his death he passed through a revival. The Spirit strove with him, but he resisted to the last. One Sabbath after this, Mr. N -, who relates this sketch, was on his way to church and passed Mr. W 's house, who was standing by the gate. He said, "Come with me to church, Mr. W____." The infidel, holding out his hand, replied, "Show me a hair on the palm of my hand and I will show you a Christian." During his last sickness, Mr. N called on him often and sat up with him several nights, and was with him when he died. The infidel was conscious of his near approaching end and of the terrors of his lost condition. He said once to Mr. N____, who, as a local worker, held meetings in school houses around, "Warn the world not to live as I have lived, and escape my woe." At another time when visited by a doctor, he was groaning and making demonstrations of great agony. The doctor said, "Why do you groan, your disease is not painful?" "O, doctor," said he, "it is not the body but the soul that troubles me." On the evening of his death, Mr. N -came at ten o'clock. A friend of his was there also. As he entered the room he felt that it was filled with an awful presence as if he were near the region of the damned. The dying man cried out, "O God, deliver me from that awful pit!" It was not a penitential prayer, but the wail of a lost soul. About fifteen minutes before his death, which was at twelve, he exclaimed, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" He kept repeating this until the breath left his body. As the bodily strength failed his words became more faint. At last Mr. N___ put his ear down close to catch his departing whispers, and the last words he could hear were, "Pull me out, pull me out!" "It was an awful scene," said he. "It made an impression on me that I can never forget. I never want to witness such a scene again." I was talking with my friend years after, and he said those words, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" were still ringing in his ears. -- Written for this book by Rev. C. A. Balch, Cloverville, N. Y.
        "What then? ſhal we ſinne, becauſe we are not vnder the Law, but vnder grace? God forbid."

Romaines vi.15 - 1560 Geneva Bible

Comment

What do you think of this story?

BY: S.B. Shaw

"I AM IN THE FLAMES -- PULL ME OUT, PULL ME OUT!"

Mr. W____, the subject of this narrative, died in J____, New York, about the year 1883, at the age of seventy-four. He was an avowed infidel. He was a good neighbor in some respects, yet he was very wicked and made a scoff of Christianity. About seven years previous to his death he passed through a revival. The Spirit strove with him, but he resisted to the last. One Sabbath after this, Mr. N -, who relates this sketch, was on his way to church and passed Mr. W 's house, who was standing by the gate. He said, "Come with me to church, Mr. W____." The infidel, holding out his hand, replied, "Show me a hair on the palm of my hand and I will show you a Christian." During his last sickness, Mr. N called on him often and sat up with him several nights, and was with him when he died. The infidel was conscious of his near approaching end and of the terrors of his lost condition. He said once to Mr. N____, who, as a local worker, held meetings in school houses around, "Warn the world not to live as I have lived, and escape my woe." At another time when visited by a doctor, he was groaning and making demonstrations of great agony. The doctor said, "Why do you groan, your disease is not painful?" "O, doctor," said he, "it is not the body but the soul that troubles me." On the evening of his death, Mr. N -came at ten o'clock. A friend of his was there also. As he entered the room he felt that it was filled with an awful presence as if he were near the region of the damned. The dying man cried out, "O God, deliver me from that awful pit!" It was not a penitential prayer, but the wail of a lost soul. About fifteen minutes before his death, which was at twelve, he exclaimed, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" He kept repeating this until the breath left his body. As the bodily strength failed his words became more faint. At last Mr. N___ put his ear down close to catch his departing whispers, and the last words he could hear were, "Pull me out, pull me out!" "It was an awful scene," said he. "It made an impression on me that I can never forget. I never want to witness such a scene again." I was talking with my friend years after, and he said those words, "I am in the flames -- pull me out, pull me out!" were still ringing in his ears. -- Written for this book by Rev. C. A. Balch, Cloverville, N. Y.
          Sounds like a man being convicted of his sins! Also seems rather strange he wouldn't call on the Lord as I am sure he was told he could do. Even in the thoes of death a person can be saved. So why didn't he?

I can also match a couple of bible verses to this too:

Psalm 30:3
          O LORD, You brought my soul up from the grave;You have kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

Luke 16:22-24
          22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
          24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’

God bless
          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

He does. Just not in our time. Everybody dies.
            ----------------------------------------------
            When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Well, He would have had to of killed Adam and Eve and then... No one else after them.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                Well, He would have had to of killed Adam and Eve and then... No one else after them.
                Great answer! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                  Just to pick up on this, Christianity wasn't in existence when Adam and Eve were around. Christianity was created after Jesus.

I know what you mean, though.

Comment

Ezekiel 18:32
                    For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

We choose to seperate from God. I will not make that choice.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post

God bless
                      I was about to post almost the same thing! Here lately we have been on the same wave length.

Gilligan; We are dead when we are not saved. When we do not accept Christ as our Saviour; we are not safe from an eternity of death.

God loves us. Jesus Christ paid the price of our sins, because He does loves us. He wants us to have a right relationship with Him. He does not want us to die. He wants us to live with Him in an eternal life.

He wants us to know Him and seek Him. He wants us to trust Him. He wants us to have a personal relationship with him. He wants us to repent of our sins. He wants us to run safely to Him.

We all at one time or another have run short of the Glory of God, and had to repent. We had to trust God, and know His mercy and grace is right and just.

Galatians 2: 20
                      I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Comment

Perhaps another question should be, "Why doesn't God kill people the instant they become Christians?" Should save a lot on backsliding that way.

Gilligan, at what age would you have these people killed? Until we become Christians we reject Christ continuously. Should a person who became a Christian at age 50 have been killed by God at age 30? Praise God, He is so merciful. Eleven years ago I made a conscious decision on a very specific day to turn my back on God and follow my own ways after having grown up in a Christian family and having first asked Jesus into my heart at age 5. Should God have killed me then? No! He still loved me and kept reminding my heart of this throughout those eleven years of willful disobedience. Then, about three months ago, he reached down and pulled me out of the pit of hell one day while I was sitting at my computer. Now in that time between my turning away and God saving me..I came close to death several times. God could have killed me but he LOVES me so much. So much that it is MIND BLOWING!

Comment

Here's why God "puts up with us" over and over and over....

2 Peter 3:9
                          The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
                          My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

Similar situation here as well. God lets us get ourselves into trouble in this manner to learn lessons of what you get for not following His way of life and following your own heart instead. It's all part of the 6000 years of mankind's self rule that God has allowed so we may collectively learn that a peaceful, prosperous life in this world is impossible without God.
                            JESUS CHRIST, often imitated, never duplicated.

Comment

The reason a lot of people get turned off to Christianity is the "turn and burn" scare tactics. I think in the long run, Christians scare more people away than win when they try to warn them about Hell. Christians need to try new stragedies.
                              Last edited by DoctorZOomZoOm; Aug 3rd 2008, 08:00 PM. Reason: I added "when they try to warn them about Hell". I forgot that part.

Comment

Working...
                              X