Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christs Use of Parables

To the multitudes:
    Mt 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
    Mt 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

To the Disciples
    Mt 13:3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
    Mt 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
    Mt 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
    Mt 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Mk 4:33 And with many such parables spake he the word unto them, as they were able to hear it.
    Mk 4:34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

Christs parable on the law
    Mt 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    Mt 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Christs explanation of the parable on the law to the Disciples
    Lk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
    Lk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
    Lk 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
    Lk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
    Lk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
    Lk 24:48 And ye are witnesses of these things.

The disciples were witnesses of the thing that were written about Jesus that he would fulfill, without Christs explanation what he said would not be understood.

The amount of times it is written that Jesus spoke to the multitude yet they understood not, so if we only have the parable without the explanation/meaning then can we understand?

Firstfruits

The amount of times it is written that Jesus spoke to the multitude yet they understood not, so if we only have the parable without the explanation/meaning then can we understand?
    Yes, we can with the help of the Holy Spirit who leads us into all truth.

Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post

Tanja
      But then you still have the explanation/meaning don't you?

What happens if you do not have the meaning/explanation?

If Jesus had not explained this parable would it have been understood?
      Mt 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
      Mt 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Firstfruits

Comment

There's been a time when i couldn't even quite understanmd the explanation given after those parables.

I'm not sure what you are asking when you say:
        What happens if you do not have the meaning/explanation?
        In my case i was frustrated, because i realized i could not understand. But what all of this did for me, was i clung to the Word stubbornly, and refused to let go, asking God for understanding, and one day i let it all go asking Him to reveal it to me giving me His understanding. And that's the day things started to become clear.

I think God does test us in our persistence.

Tanja
        Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
        2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.

Comment

There's been a time when i couldn't even quite understand the explanation given after those parables.

I'm not sure what you are asking when you say:

In my case i was frustrated, because i realized i could not understand. But what all of this did for me, was i clung to the Word stubbornly, and refused to let go, asking God for understanding, and one day i let it all go asking Him to reveal it to me giving me His understanding. And that's the day things started to become clear.

I think God does test us in our persistence.

Tanja
          I hear what you are saying, but how does that answer the question?

If Jesus had not given the meaning/explanation for this parable would it have been understood?

If an explanation has been given regarding a parable of Jesus, by Jesus, are we to accept it or to look for another meaning as you would have without the the explanation/meaning?

Firstfruits

Comment

If Jesus had not given the meaning/explanation for this parable would it have been understood?
            The above is not a parable!!?
            Are you trying to bait me?
            If an explanation has been given regarding a parable of Jesus, by Jesus, are we to accept it or to look for another meaning as you would have without the the explanation/meaning?
            This is the beauty of the Word, an explanation can be and is what it is on the surface reading, but It is not beyond God to reveal more depth to any truth.

I could say more about how important the historical and cultural background can be in order to understand scriptural things, but i'm not going to harp on that.

Shalom,
            Tanja

Comment

The above is not a parable!!?
              Are you trying to bait me?
              This is the beauty of the Word, an explanation can be and is what it is on the surface reading, but It is not beyond God to reveal more depth to any truth.

I could say more about how important the historical and cultural background can be in order to understand scriptural things, but I'm not going to harp on that.

Shalom,
              Tanja
              With regards to the following Jesus did not speak to the multitude unless it was a parable, and it was only explained to the disciples when they were away from the multitude.

Mk 4:33 And with many such parables spake he the word unto them, as they were able to hear it.
              Mk 4:34 But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

Christs parable on the law

So I am not trying to bait you. Even if it was not a parable the question still stands because Jesus did explain what he meant.

Firstfruits

Comment

Tanja
                Why then, do people have diferent explainations of the same parable?

How many people agree with me on these:
                1) The sower of seed: Mat 13:3-8, Mat.13:19-23 (Evangelistic) Never is told who the sower is, but we know that redeamed men preach the Gosple(sows the seed)
                If it were God doing the sowing, He wouldn't sow were it wouldn't produce fruit more-less sow were devils would eat the seed.

2) Wheat & tares: Mat 13:24-30, Matthew 13:38-43 (apocalyptic)
                God knows who is His, He divides at the end.

3) The mustered sead: Mat 13:31-32 (reality of the Kingdom)
                mustered seads do not become trees.
                This is telling us that the plant mutates into something that it shouldn't be.
                The birds, as we learn are devils.
                They nest in the "branches"
                What are the branches in the Chruch?
                Denominations!

4) The woman and leven: Mat 13:33 (reality of the Kingdom)
                The leaven is variuos false doctrines, the "three measures of meal" are the basic true Doctrines of Christianity.

5) Wheat and Tares explained explained: Mat 13:37-43 (apocalyptic):

6) A treasure hid in a field: Mat 13:44 (Evangelistic)
                The Field is ripe for the harvest.
                Pray the Lord of the harvest to send workers into the feild.
                The field is the world and the hidden treasure are the souls of man who are in that feild, that man who sold everything to buy that field is the Christian that gives his life up for the Kingdom to preach the Gosple.
                Furthermore, Jesus never sold anything, He gave it all up. We are never told in Scripture that Christ redeems a feild or a land.
                But men go to lands to preach to the souls in the land.

7) The Pearl of great price: Mat 13:45-46 (the effect of evangelizing)
                The effect of evangelizing is the Truth being spread so that people searching for truth may find the Great Truth!
                The Pearl of great price is about a man who is looking for the truth and when he found the Truth, went and sold all that he had, and bought It. Proverb 23:23 & Job 28:12 & Job 28:18 & Mat 7:6

8) The Dragnet: Mat 13:47-50 (Apocalyptic)
                God reveals those whom are His, He divides at the end.

Comment

Why then, do people have diferent explainations of the same parable?
                  I would answer this by saying that each person is at a different level of depth with God in their walk. What a 5 year old understands and or perceives may not be what a 25 year old understands and or perceives.
                  Yet both may perceive the truth.

One's understanding may be more shallow than another's.

Shalom,
                  Tanja

Comment

I would answer this by saying that each person is at a different level of depth with God in their walk. What a 5 year old understands and or perceives may not be what a 25 year old understands and or perceives.
                    Yet both may perceive the truth.

One's understanding may be more shallow than another's.

Shalom,
                    Tanja
                    Do you believe that Jesus or the Holy Spirit would give us different meanings or explanations for the same parable?

Firstfruits

Comment

Do you believe that Jesus or the Holy Spirit would give us different meanings or explanations for the same parable?
                      I believe Yeshua would give each of us what we are capable of handling.

You would not give an infant a piece of meat to eat would you? Likewise why would one give a grown up breast milk?

It's a matter of maturity IMO. Some only are given the very surface meaning of understanding a parable, while others may see the same thing on a much deeper level with more substance. And therefore to some it might appear different.

Shalom,
                      Tanja

Comment

I believe Yeshua would give each of us what we are capable of handling.
                        Okay, but what about a diferent meanings?
                        You are talking about levels of truth with the same meaning/interpretation of one parable.

I am talking about how some one couild have a diferent meaning/interpretation to the same parable.

You would not give an infant a piece of meat to eat would you? Likewise why would one give a grown up breast milk?
                        True, again however, you are discribing parables with the same meanings/interpretations, just shallower or deeper according to the ability to understand.

It's a matter of maturity IMO. Some only are given the very surface meaning of understanding a parable, while others may see the same thing on a much deeper level with more substance. And therefore to some it might appear different.

Shalom,
                        Tanja
                        I'm talking about one parable, with two people having a diferent meanings/interpretations, not a diferent levels of understanding.

I've been in a thred where the question was about who the "pearl of great price" is.
                        There was two diferent meanings of who would be the pearl is, Christ or the other meanings would be that the pearl is a seeker of truth.
                        This is not diferent levels of understanding but diferent interpretations, two meanings.
                        It can not be both are correct, otherwise jesus would not have given the correct interpretations of the ones He did tell us of.

Comment

Dioletic,

I see what you are saying. And perhaps you misunderstood me, because i meant that not necessarily does there ahve to be a total agreement in views of a scripture or verse.
                          Meat is not and dos not look like milk, but to the one eating it it leads to being nourished.

One understanding one thing could be the next step to maturity for one person, but be different from another person's view and understanding.

I'm not saying that this is always the case and that both are always right.

What makes a difference too is whether one learns from God or from man.
                          Whether one listens to the Holy Spirit or to mass teaching.

Example, they used to teach butter was bad for you, and to eat margerine instead.

While i could not explain it, but understood that in margerine some molecules are removed or something like that, i did not agree and stuck to butter all these years.

A few years ago they came out with a study that margerine was not any better than butter or something to that effect, and that the molecular make up of butter was only a slight bit different than plastic.

In the same way i see there seems to be fads in the teaching and understanding of scriptures. Some old and some not so old. It's man's understanding and not God's.

Hence there are differences. We are told to test the Spirit and everything needs to line up with scripture.

Not sure that satisfies what you wanted to get out of me.

Tanja

Comment

I think the parables have one and only one objective meaning. And we CAN know the meaning. However, it isn't easy to know. It takes work.

Human communication can be broken down into two main groups: direct communication and indirect communication. Sometimes, when direct communication doesn't work, e.g. when people don't want to listen or hear what Jesus has to say, he uses parables, which are indirect. To the uninitiated, parables are simply stories and demand nothing of the listener. But for those who want to know, the parable offers truth to those who are willing to work with the parable until the meaning is understood.

Comment

When Jesus spoke in parables in confounded and stumped the faithless educated Pharisees, yet the uneducated masses understood Jesus because they had faith in his words. The parables were to communicate truth to the believers who had faith in Christ, not the faithless unbelievers. It's simple, yet genius.

Comment

Working...
                              X