Can anyone discredit this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    Well... it's a mans understanding of Galatians 2: 19-21 anyway.

Is that different from the way you understand it? Can you discredit what he's saying? What's wrong with what or the way he's saying it?

Comment

Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
      Paul continues to say, "Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ. But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."

I am sure Paul never abuses his body, because he also says elsewhere that he is the temple of God. And is not pride the root of sin?
      Hi Ravi-
      What ever you were saying flew over my head.
      I think the confusion was my fault because I stepped in with something that in my mind applied to the conv., which was the end of 1 Cor 9.

I think what you are saying is that vs. can in no way tie in with what God told Cain - as I see the connection. And that is fine. We don't all see the connections others do I guess....

As to your last paragraph, I wasn't at all saying I saw it as doing some kind of harsh things to our physical bodies but was rather speaking of doing harsh things to the parts of us like pride and ego. Was talking more about a spiritual thing than a human thing.

But the reason I was saying it was not because it would be a sin to harm our bodies because they are His temple - it isn't the "temple of our body" that is so important to me. It is Who is in the temple that makes it holy to me.

I just think I wasn't clear enough on what was in my mind, which is that the way in which I help or work with the good work He is completing in me is to agree with Him and keep under subjection my ugly flesh (ego, pride, etc)

Comment

Challenge

Originally posted by paintdiva View Post
        I just think I wasn't clear enough on what was in my mind, which is that the way in which I help or work with the good work He is completing in me is to agree with Him and keep under subjection my ugly flesh (ego, pride, etc)
        And I think that is the challenge for every follower of Christ! To carry the cross and follow Him. To crucify that which comes naturally so that you can put on the that which is of the Spirit. The Spirit calls everyone who walks after Jesus to walk supernaturally!
        sigpicLife! Just Live It!
        http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

Well then, we are in total agreement!

Comment

Originally posted by Diolectic View Post
            Tell me, If one was straned on a desert island would you rather have nothing or "The Message"?
            If I was on a desert island with only the Reader's Digest version of "War and Peace", I'd read it...Doesn't mean it would be the best version...might have to go to the unabridged edition to see what I missed

When Dr. Peterson penned his translation, he used so much slang, so many cliche's (Sp?) in his attempt to reach a certain readership, that many times the message has become obscured.

Compare the following passages with "The Message" and another version:

John 1:1-2, John 10:30, and Col. 2:9

Ask yourself this: "If I had had no theological background, if I had never read anything in the Bible before: Do these passages clearly reveal the Deity of Christ or do they obscure it as rendered in 'The Message'?"

Ιησούς Χριστός ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου

****When the Lord opens a door, don't walk through it....run full speed; if it's the wrong one He'll let ya know...sometimes He just wants to see if you'll move at all!****

A Minister of God Ministry - Support and understanding for a Christian serving in the military

Comment

Originally posted by mcgyver View Post
              If I was on a desert island with only the Reader's Digest version of "War and Peace", I'd read it...Doesn't mean it would be the best version...might have to go to the unabridged edition to see what I missed

When Dr. Peterson penned his translation, he used so much slang, so many cliche's (Sp?) in his attempt to reach a certain readership, that many times the message has become obscured.

Compare the following passages with "The Message" and another version:

John 1:1-2, John 10:30, and Col. 2:9

Ask yourself this: "If I had had no theological background, if I had never read anything in the Bible before: Do these passages clearly reveal the Deity of Christ or do they obscure it as rendered in 'The Message'?"

I don't think that anyone, I'm certainly not, is trying to say that the Message is the best version out there or that its anything but a paraphrase. My question was and remains can you take dispute the Message's version of what Paul said in Galatians. Is what Peterson said Paul is saying Biblical. Can you discredit what Peterson said Paul is saying? or if you'd like can you discredit what Paul is saying?

Comment

Working...
              X