Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone discredit this?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can anyone discredit this?

    1 You crazy Galatians! Did someone put a hex on you? Have you taken leave of your senses? Something crazy has happened, for it's obvious that you no longer have the crucified Jesus in clear focus in your lives. His sacrifice on the cross was certainly set before you clearly enough. 2-4Let me put this question to you: How did your new life begin? Was it by working your heads off to please God? Or was it by responding to God's Message to you? Are you going to continue this craziness? For only crazy people would think they could complete by their own efforts what was begun by God. If you weren't smart enough or strong enough to begin it, how do you suppose you could perfect it? Did you go through this whole painful learning process for nothing? It is not yet a total loss, but it certainly will be if you keep this up!
    5-6Answer this question: Does the God who lavishly provides you with his own presence, his Holy Spirit, working things in your lives you could never do for yourselves, does he do these things because of your strenuous moral striving or because you trust him to do them in you? Don't these things happen among you just as they happened with Abraham? He believed God, and that act of belief was turned into a life that was right with God.
    7-8Is it not obvious to you that persons who put their trust in Christ (not persons who put their trust in the law!) are like Abraham: children of faith? It was all laid out beforehand in Scripture that God would set things right with non-Jews by faith. Scripture anticipated this in the promise to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed in you."
    9-10So those now who live by faith are blessed along with Abraham, who lived by faith—this is no new doctrine! And that means that anyone who tries to live by his own effort, independent of God, is doomed to failure. Scripture backs this up: "Utterly cursed is every person who fails to carry out every detail written in the Book of the law."

  • #2
    Not sure quite what you want here, if you read on a few extra verses you see (I've quoted the NKJV rather than the Message):

    Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT CONTINUE IN ALL THINGS WHICH ARE WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO DO THEM."
    Gal 3:11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for "THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
    Gal 3:12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "THE MAN WHO DOES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM."
    Gal 3:13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE"),
    Gal 3:14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
    Gal 3:15 Brethren, I speak in the manner of men: Though it is only a man's covenant, yet if it is confirmed, no one annuls or adds to it.
    Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, "And to seeds," as of many, but as of one, "AND TO YOUR SEED," who is Christ.
    Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect.
    Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
    Gal 3:19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.
    Gal 3:20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.
    Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.
    Gal 3:22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
    Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.
    Gal 3:24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    Gal 3:25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
    Gal 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

    ---

    1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.



    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks. I'm thinking a law verses grace type discussion. I just think in light of this scripture it would be hard to have a "I have to earn it" understanding of scripture.

      Comment


      • #4
        vv23-24 says that before faith we were under guard by the law ... but after faith has come we are no longer under a tutor.

        The ideas of earning salvation, or of salvation being linked to works, are explicitly denied by Paul elsewhere:

        Gal 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.

        Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
        Eph 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

        Col 2:20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations—
        Col 2:21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,"
        Col 2:22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men?
        24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
        I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
        I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

        ---

        1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
        1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mikebr View Post
          1 You crazy Galatians! Did someone put a hex on you? Have you taken leave of your senses? Something crazy has happened, for it's obvious that you no longer have the crucified Jesus in clear focus in your lives. His sacrifice on the cross was certainly set before you clearly enough. 2-4Let me put this question to you: How did your new life begin? Was it by working your heads off to please God? Or was it by responding to God's Message to you? Are you going to continue this craziness? For only crazy people would think they could complete by their own efforts what was begun by God. If you weren't smart enough or strong enough to begin it, how do you suppose you could perfect it? Did you go through this whole painful learning process for nothing? It is not yet a total loss, but it certainly will be if you keep this up!
          5-6Answer this question: Does the God who lavishly provides you with his own presence, his Holy Spirit, working things in your lives you could never do for yourselves, does he do these things because of your strenuous moral striving or because you trust him to do them in you? Don't these things happen among you just as they happened with Abraham? He believed God, and that act of belief was turned into a life that was right with God.
          7-8Is it not obvious to you that persons who put their trust in Christ (not persons who put their trust in the law!) are like Abraham: children of faith? It was all laid out beforehand in Scripture that God would set things right with non-Jews by faith. Scripture anticipated this in the promise to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed in you."
          9-10So those now who live by faith are blessed along with Abraham, who lived by faithóthis is no new doctrine! And that means that anyone who tries to live by his own effort, independent of God, is doomed to failure. Scripture backs this up: "Utterly cursed is every person who fails to carry out every detail written in the Book of the law."
          Are you reaching out to unbelievers?
          If not, then how can any reasonable believer find fault in this?
          Great stuff, wow, but the KJV is better I think. Keep it up!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tango View Post
            vv23-24 says that before faith we were under guard by the law ... but after faith has come we are no longer under a tutor.

            The ideas of earning salvation, or of salvation being linked to works, are explicitly denied by Paul elsewhere:

            Gal 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.

            Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
            Eph 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

            Col 2:20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulationsó
            Col 2:21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,"
            Col 2:22 which all concern things which perish with the usingóaccording to the commandments and doctrines of men?
            Good call. Thanks again.

            Comment


            • #7
              do not forget that the mesage bible isn't actually a translation but a mans view of each verse.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cnw View Post
                do not forget that the mesage bible isn't actually a translation but a mans view of each verse.
                Yeah I know but I like the way it reads like a letter instead a bunch of individual verses. How bout getting your favorite version of that passage and let us know how the Message contradicts it, thus the title "Can anyone discredit this."

                Thanks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sigh...
                  I have too many translations already and now I absolutely have to have that one. Never heard of it.........
                  Gee thanks Mike - I'll just get some money off that tree of mine and buy one!

                  P.S. - Bet I could find someone somewhere who could discredit it...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by paintdiva View Post
                    Sigh...
                    I have too many translations already and now I absolutely have to have that one. Never heard of it.........
                    Gee thanks Mike - I'll just get some money off that tree of mine and buy one!

                    P.S. - Bet I could find someone somewhere who could discredit it...

                    No Need to pluck your crisp green backs. Its free online.
                    http://www.biblegateway.com/versions...ionInfo&vid=65

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by WELL View Post
                      Are you reaching out to unbelievers?
                      If not, then how can any reasonable believer find fault in this?
                      Great stuff, wow, but the KJV is better I think. Keep it up!!!
                      Some folks really dislike the message of Galatians and some folks really dislike the Message.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                        No Need to pluck your crisp green backs. Its free online.
                        http://www.biblegateway.com/versions...ionInfo&vid=65
                        Oh!!!You are a peach!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have to read Galatians very often.
                          It seems to me that there is something inside me that tries all of the time to discredit it!

                          I slowly start to fall under that "bewitching" he spoke of myself.
                          It disgusts me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by paintdiva View Post
                            I have to read Galatians very often.
                            It seems to me that there is something inside me that tries all of the time to discredit it!

                            I slowly start to fall under that "bewitching" he spoke of myself.
                            It disgusts me.
                            Its alot easier to live under the Law.

                            A New Law-Derek Webb

                            donít teach me about politics and government
                            just tell me who to vote for
                            donít teach me about truth and beauty
                            just label my music

                            donít teach me how to live like a free man
                            just give me a new law

                            (pre-chorus)
                            i donít wanna know if the answers arenít easy
                            so just bring it down from the mountain to me

                            (chorus)
                            i want a new law
                            i want a new law
                            gimme that new law

                            (vs. 2)
                            donít teach me about moderation and liberty
                            i prefer a shot of grape juice

                            donít teach me about loving my enemies

                            donít teach me how to listen to the Spirit
                            just give me a new law

                            (pre-chorus/chorus)

                            (bridge)
                            whatís the use in trading a law you can never keep
                            for one you can that cannot get you anything
                            do not be afraid
                            do not be afraid
                            do not be afraid

                            http://derekwebb.musiccitynetworks.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              or
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr4DBnB7aNQ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X