Bipolar and the Christian Struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT Bipolar and the Christian Struggle

Hi I first am a christian but I struggle daily with bipolar illness, anxiety, depression, bpd, PTSD and others. I struggle to follow the path because of all of the stuff the affects me.

Does anyone else struggle with disorders and have a hard time understanding and following God's word.

I also get alot of confusion I dont know if its from demonic spirits or myillness but I feel depressed and I have no energy. So sometimes I think to myself what is the point. God wont cure me I have had prayers over me many times (My mom also suffered major manic depression and died at 57 and struggled with christianity)

I just feel so numb and confused to the whole life of a Christian and I dont know if a counsler will help, pills help some but not much.

Just would like to relate to any others struggling out there with an illness like this and being a christian.

Hi Mel,

Thank you for coming here with your request. It is my prayer that we will be able to support and encourage you.

You are not alone in your struggle. There are others on the board with illnesses which they battle regularly. When you have an illness, whether physical, mental or emotional, the first place to deal with it is with a good doctor. Many issues can be managed with medicines, but it takes working with the doctor and keeping track of your responses to find out what works best for you. Since you already seem to have a diagnosis, then maybe you have a doctor you can trust. How long has it been since you have seen your doctor?

The second front on which to fight this battle, is to establish and maintain balance in your life. I heard a doctor once say that there are four legs to the stool. YOu must have a good diet, the right amount of exercise, the right amount of rest/sleep, and freedom from too much stress in your life. These need to be in balance, not too much of one or not enough of another.

Another way of looking at it is HALT. Never let yourself get too Hungry, too Angry, too Lonely or too Tired. You could also add, not too Excited nor too Depressed, for HALTED.

The spiritual and emotional aspect of your life works hand in hand with the physical/chemical aspect of your life. Do you have a good church, good Christian friends, family support, loving spouse?

You are your own best advocate. No one else knows you as well as you know yourself. What we can do for you here, is to encourage you and to cheer for you, but the work to getting your life back in balance and on track belongs to you.

What is the biggest issue in your life at the moment? And how can we help? If we know more about you, we can pray more specifically.
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Mel, I just want to add this, there is a social group here that you might find of interest http://bibleforums.org/group.php?groupid=26. It does not seem to be very active, but you will be able to meet others there who can help you see that you are not alone.
      Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

Well confusion about salvation mostly because my DH tells me that its easier to loose your salvation then to receive it.

That and I am just dealing with alot of depression. I just started with a new doctor whom I like alot better but for some reason I dont know if its the meds or not but I read something and then sometimes have to reread it.

I cant believe DH tells me its easier to loose your salvation then get it. I'm Lost here. Well maybe its OCD or not really believing anything good can happen to me but I pray the pray of salvation daily but I am still battling alot of things like cutting out of depression and pain and other things like getting angry easily.

And yes I get lonely very easily.

Thanks for caring I wasnt sure if anyone would care to post to this one. (just my depression talking)

God Bless You

Comment

Mel, people do care, but not many really know how to work with the problems that you have. That is why I emphasize your relationship with your doctor first of all. You need to let the office know how the new meds are working, if you notice that you have some new thing (like not being able to concentrate) after you start a new med. The doctor can only go by the feedback that you give, so be sure to keep in touch with that office.

Bi-polar is more widespread than people realize, but there is a spectrum, from rather mild to more severe. I can't tell where you are on the spectrum, but what is important to you, is that your doctor knows, and adjusts your meds or other instructions as appropriate.

Some illnesses cannot be cured, but they can be managed. Your condition falls into that category. You can manage it. But you need to know everything you can about the condition. Ask your doctor if there is a support group near you, or how you can get more understanding of your problems. The more you know about it, the better you will be able to help yourself.

I don't know, of course, but I suspect that some of your other problems might come from feeling helpless about your situation. You are not helpless. There are many things you can do to help yourself, and I encourage you to find out what they are.

God loves you Mel, and He cares about having you learn and grow and fulfill your potential that He has placed in you. Do not compare yourself to other people, but only look to Him, and what He has planned for you.

I do not know why your husband talks to you about losing your salvation, maybe he is just frustrated, as you are. But I would encourage you both to think in terms of what God wants for you.

People can argue all day and all night about OSAS and NOSAS, but in the end, what does it matter? What matters, Mel, is that you turn to the Lord and put your trust in Him. When you stumble, (as we all do) that you get up and put your hand in His, and keep moving forward.

Keep your eyes on Him. He has promised that He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Jeremiah 31:3-4 says that He has loved you with an everlasting love, and that He draws you to Himself. That He will re-build your life.

Jer 31:3-4
          "Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love;
          Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.
          4 Again I will build you, and you shall be rebuilt,
          ... NKJV

This was originally written, of course, to Israel. But the principle is the same for us as Christians. Take this verse to heart, and it will give you comfort.

Another verse which I lean on quite heavily when I feel helpless, is what the Lord spoke to Joshua:

Jos 1:9
          Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
          NKJV
          Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

Well thats all good and fine except and this is in all cases doctors psychiatrist spend 15 minutes at the most with you. They are not therapist. The meds I am on are the onlly tolerable ones I seem to handle. I have been down this road a long time and there are sooooooo many med's with bad reactions just trying to stay with the ones that will keep me focused enoughed to get up and take care of my son.

I figure it out on my own somehow I always do. Yes at times I feel helpless but no-one can really help besides yourself.

SO I guess that means no=one else on this board is a Christian that suffers this disorder. Kinda frustrating.

Now I gotta look somewhere else. I wanted to be with a Christian Group.

Mel

Comment

Originally posted by melpointy View Post
              ...snip..
              I figure it out on my own somehow I always do. Yes at times I feel helpless but no-one can really help besides yourself.

SO I guess that means no=one else on this board is a Christian that suffers this disorder. Kinda frustrating.

Now I gotta look somewhere else. I wanted to be with a Christian Group.

Mel
              No, Mel, you are wrong. There are others here who have bi-polar. Maybe they just have not yet noticed you. It's a big board with a lot of people, and weekends tend to be sort of quiet. Be patient a little longer, and more sections of the board will open up to you, including the social groups. There is one in particular which you might like.

I know that the doctor is not a therapist, and only gives you 15 minutes. Don't you hate that!? I love attention when I go to the doctor, and it seems like they barely look at me! Oh well. But they do write prescriptions, so I guess they fill a need.

But you are right, that you do have to help yourself. I can be a friend to you if you want me to. But I am not a doctor or a therapist. Just an old lady who has been down a long journey and has a bit of knowledge. I've not had your particular circumstances, but I've had my own emotional battles to fight. Victory over illness comes in stages. For me it has been like climbing a mountain. I gained a little at a time, then had a "plateau" then gained some more. Some times I slipped back. But I am what some people call stubborn, and I call it perseverance!

Without God, I would not have made it. There were many times when I thought I was all alone. But after I made it through hard places, I could look back and see that He was always there.

Looking for another group is fine, you might find that there are others who can be more helpful specifically in relation to bi-polar than we can. It is ok to belong to more than one group, you know. But keep checking in with us, and you might find that you will make some friends here. It takes time.

It is so neat that you have a son to hug and love and play with! My children were sometimes the only bright spot in my life. A child truly is a gift from the Lord.

I hope you will have a better day today.
              Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I had ptsd and depression. I was molested as a child. then about 3 years ago I was in bad car accident..and then the memories surfaced..it was a flash in my head of things that I had forgotten but when I saw them...well, fear would fall on me and I would feel panic and hurt..embrassment..hate..anger..oh, such a dark time in my life..I have three kids. It was really hard cause I had to close my door to them..I could not function. I thought I was never gonna come out of it..

But, Christ did bring me through it..

I understand about the fifteen mintue thing too..
                that upset me..I just found a differnet way to get meds..my thearpist recommended a family doctory and he could prescribe the meds I was on....I was being treated for add also..

But, now I am on no meds...I had to take them though at time..and now I am fine..free from it all..thank God..

But, each person is different..what ever is causing this..God only knows...and Only He can be the help..the doctors are good..and we do need them...but we must let God lead us to the right ones..

I pray that God surround you with peace and love. It is hard when going through these things..though some of them I do not know about cause I have never had them or know anyone close who has...but talk about it , I know that helped me alot..
                when I was a child my life was threated several times..and as a teen...I found out that through this and the sexual abuse this caused my ptsd...but, now I am free from it..God healed me..

Bless you..I know that HE will take care of you..there is now where you can go that He wont be there..HE loves you very much...

Comment

Thanks Roadwarrrior and Servant of the Lord (Sorry to hear of your struggles but Glad the Lord delivered you)

Yes I had abuse in my past that I care not to share but it was severe physical abuse that landed me in the hospital thenin foster care. Tossed about until I was adopted by a Catholic family.

I have alot of anger issues, anxiety and the like on top of the bipolar.

I know God helps but I also thinks he gives us these struggles so that we may stay close to him.

I'm not sure what else to do right now we only have 1 car working and with my son its kinda hard to hit support groups but the 12 step thing never really did much for me. If I could find a true christian therapist and could afford I would go. My last therapist was wonderful unfortuneltly his methods arent christian but they seemed to help but again I gained his trust but we just dont have the money.

I just keep praying everyday that everyone that hurts either physically or mentally will have strength to go on. cause sometimes the thoguht of ending your life all the time sounds frustrating cause ya wanna give up. I am not suicidal but it crosses my mind alot because the depression is so bad.

Just to add about the meds the doctor switched me back to wellbutrin and it takes forever to kick in. I think its been 2 weeks. I am also on lamictal, seroqual, ambien, ativan. All the older drugs like Lithium never worked (worked well for my mom but also killed her kidneys and she died at 57) May I mention that she was a very devote cChristian and struggled very badly with Manic depression and maybe some schizophrenia (reason for the abuse) She was in a state hospital back in the 70'w and early 80's and she was raped, had shock treatment (which is not the same it is now) and given numerous hardcore drugs. Somehow she endured and is in heaven so I have that chance too but it will be a struggle at best.

As far as the excercise I did by a machine a few months back just trying to get the nerve to use it since my leg has a pinched nerve (meralgia parasatheica) not sure of the spelling but I cant stand for more then 5-10 minutes without my whole thigh being in severe pain. So that adds to the depression too cause I cant be as active as I once was. I asked a neurologist about surgery but they dont do it in that area and they couldnt even find the nerve when doing that test forgot the name. She did knwo the signs and symptoms. Gave me lyrica helped a little but my body got tolerant to it then I asked her to up it and she refused so I left.

ANyways just mumbling away.

God Bless you both and thanks for the prayers. I pray for all my friends even my internet buddies nightly.

Comment

Mel, if you get to a place with us that you want to talk about some of those old things, remember that you can go into C2M and it will be just the mods who will read your posts. But don't feel that you are obligated to tell us anything. The main thing for you right now is to get comfortable just being here, to find out which parts of the board are "safe" for you and which people will be your friends. This is like any group, you will find all kinds of people here.

With the back problems you have, the best exercise would be a program of gentle stretches. I have 3 areas in my back that have bad discs, and so I see a chiropractor to keep pain free. The stretches strengthen my muscles and then I don't need adjustments so often. Exercise does not have to be strenuous, it just means that you need to be active in accordance with your ability. Sweeping a floor is exercise.

Back to the subjects on the boards, remember that in some areas there is a lot of controversy and people who just love to argue. So if you are in a thread and start getting confused, you can un-subscribe to it and go into another forum that has less stressful activity.

New in Christ, Families in Christ, Maturing in Christ, Women at the Well, are maybe not as exciting, but they are gentle places to hang out.
                    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by melpointy View Post
                      Does anyone else struggle with disorders and have a hard time understanding and following God's word.

I also get alot of confusion I dont know if its from demonic spirits or myillness but I feel depressed and I have no energy.
                      I am really hard on myself. I see myself falling way short and I forget that the changes I want to see don't always happen overnight. I think having a mental disorder makes us more prone to the enemy's attacks, and if we do not have an understanding of who we are in Christ, we fall for lies which should roll off our backs.

I think when I was unsure about my salvation I had a wrong view of who God is and what faith is.

I really didn't understand that God cares for me more than anybody else in the world ever could. I was in so much pain that I thought he was too busy to ever give me his attention. I also thought that faith was something I had to manufacture instead of a gift from God, so instead of resting in God's grace, I kept trying to convince myself that I believed. I did believe that Jesus was the way, but I didn't really take his words to heart. Verses like the following were not yet truths I could draw on:
                      • John 10:28-29: "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."
                      • Romans 8:31-39: "If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died more than that, who was raised who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, 'For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.' No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
                      • Philippians 1:6: "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

If I thought that my salvation could be lost, I wouldn't be able to stay positive when being bombarded with pessimistic thoughts from hell. About 4 months ago I was in a manic state with the most hellish thoughts I had ever had running through my mind. There are verses which speak about people falling away from the faith and perhaps losing salvation, but I believe they are there to keep us sober and watchful in our walk with God. He will never forsake us.

My mental problems came about from abusing psychedelic drugs and my heavy involvement in buddhism and the occult. I am not sure if demons are behind the psychotic episodes, but I know that if my world comes tumbling down again, the rock I have decided to build upon in Christ Jesus will keep me from being swept away.

I hope we can encourage eachother to hold fast to God's promises until the storms clear and you feel that acceptance from God which will leave no doubt in your mind.

Comment

Also music has helped me keep my mind from wandering and kept me in good spirits when I feel down. Here is a link to some of the videos I have enjoyed in the past. I really enjoy Keith Green's music as well as Matthew Ward. I hope you like some of these tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_favorites?user=palmersc

Comment

If I thought that my salvation could be lost, I wouldn't be able to stay positive when being bombarded with pessimistic thoughts from hell. About 4 months ago I was in a manic state with the most hellish thoughts I had ever had running through my mind. There are verses which speak about people falling away from the faith and perhaps losing salvation, but I believe they are there to keep us sober and watchful in our walk with God. He will never forsake us.

My mental problems came about from abusing psychedelic drugs and my heavy involvement in buddhism and the occult. I am not sure if demons are behind the psychotic episodes, but I know that if my world comes tumbling down again, the rock I have decided to build upon in Christ Jesus will keep me from being swept away.

I hope we can encourage eachother to hold fast to God's promises until the storms clear and you feel that acceptance from God which will leave no doubt in your mind.
                          I worry about hell alot too and have repetive bad thoughts. Although I am not in a manic state more a mixed depressed state right now. Still with the racing thoughts but no energy.

But I must pray by the Grace of God that those thoughts wont consume me and I will know that I am His Child.

Comment

Hugs to you

There is hope ...though it may seem that you are in tunnel and that waves of thoughts are crashing in and you are drowning in the tears of life...let your heart not be troubled for their is a light that is in you..and he is leading you to higher ground..and though the enemy has attacked you cause he trys to keep you from your purpose...but greater is he that is in you then in the world..and you will be a overcomer !!!!

I am prayin for you daily..........

Remeber Jesus loves you..HE cares for your every need.
                            cast all you cares upon Him...

I command satan and any demonic sprirt to take his plans and flee from you...that God would surround you with peace and the knowing that He cares for you...let His love heal all your wounds...though the scar will always remain...He can place a healing upon them that takes out the anger and pain and any other feeling you are having..though it may take time..cause some wounds can be deep..but He is the great physican..and He has the best bedside manners..

The world can be cruel..they may tell you to snap out of it..and get over it..
                            But Christ comes as any good solider of God would and He helps His solider up...when it is time..

You are gonna make it..I declare it In JESUS NAME....
                            praying for you..everday..get use to it..

Comment

Originally posted by servant of Lord View Post
                              Hugs to you

There is hope ...though it may seem that you are in tunnel and that waves of thoughts are crashing in and you are drowning in the tears of life...let your heart not be troubled for their is a light that is in you..and he is leading you to higher ground..and though the enemy has attacked you cause he trys to keep you from your purpose...but greater is he that is in you then in the world..and you will be a overcomer !!!!

I am prayin for you daily..........

Remeber Jesus loves you..HE cares for your every need.
                              cast all you cares upon Him...

I command satan and any demonic sprirt to take his plans and flee from you...that God would surround you with peace and the knowing that He cares for you...let His love heal all your wounds...though the scar will always remain...He can place a healing upon them that takes out the anger and pain and any other feeling you are having..though it may take time..cause some wounds can be deep..but He is the great physican..and He has the best bedside manners..

The world can be cruel..they may tell you to snap out of it..and get over it..
                              But Christ comes as any good solider of God would and He helps His solider up...when it is time..

You are gonna make it..I declare it In JESUS NAME....
                              praying for you..everday..get use to it..

Thank you Servant of the Lord I will certainly ""Cast all my Cares upon Him" I have been feeling more of the spirit lately and less like the fleshlynature. Although I still have my moments I think I can break through slowly like you said but it will happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X