Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motivation for Morality?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Motivation for Morality?

    What's your? I mean what motivates you to be good; follow biblical commandments?

  • #2
    A desire to please God in and by my faith is mine Mike. Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

    It's quite frankly simple. He desires His children to follow after righteousness and righeousness can't be manifest without the faith that God will make you able to perform His righeousness. Does that make sense?

    1st John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

    Comment


    • #3
      A few things:

      * Love of God - wanting to please Him

      * Dread of judgment - dreading being chastised for breaking His moral law

      * Pragmatically - when we follow God's moral law, things simply work out for the best (even if it leads to death or suffering, we are ultimately happier when we do the right thing).

      Comment


      • #4
        Great post. You nailed it. Love and fear are biblical verbs, not nouns. I would add that the 'fear' in Hebrew pictographically illustrates God's soverign hand on man's head (literally). This is why man is not to fear in this context other men.

        Here are the verbs that motivate me, not necessaritly in any order:

        Fear
        Hear, Obey
        Love
        Treasure, keep
        Teach
        Repent
        Give
        Worship
        Pray
        Fast
        Serve
        Work
        Rest
        Believe
        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by keck553 View Post
          Great post. You nailed it. Love and fear are biblical verbs, not nouns.

          I'm still pondering 'pragmatism' for it's biblical equivalent because the motivation is rght on. Sometimes faith and obedience produce more than a little cleansing fire. But you're right about one thing - shalom. Only God can give it. It depends on where you seek your reward.

          Maybe it's 'hope'
          Well by pragmatism I mean to say that God's way is better than our way. We are most happy, most pleased, and most at peace when following the ways of God (this is Scriptural). This would include morality - we will be at our happiest when we are morally following God. Though it might hurt our situation or cause temporary distress, overall we will be happiest when we do the right thing.

          This isn't and shouldn't be the prime motivator for doing the right thing, but it is a motivator.

          Comment


          • #6
            I broke down some keywords above (sorry I edited my post as you were writing yours) that may further clarify.
            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

            Comment


            • #7
              What motivates me to TRY and be good is my love for Jesus and my desire to glorify him for the sacrifice he's made for us.
              I try to honor Jesus by my life so his sacrifice is not in vain.
              I fear God, but I don't fear judgement. I understand it is a part of everlasting life and Now that I am saved, I know I'm o.k.
              I try to start my day praying for the strength to be Jesus to other people.
              I guess one of my motivators is to motivate others to live and die for Christ.
              I also try to honor those that are less fortunate and cannot worship God as they would like to.
              -Blessings.

              Comment


              • #8
                Great Posts and thank you. Do you think the answers would be much different if this were a Mormon, JW, or even a Muslim message board?

                What makes Christian morality any more moral than any other type of morality?


                I would say that I am motivated by His love for me, as any son would be motivated to honor a dad who loved him unconditionally.


                The great commandment says to Love God and our fellow man. But I can only do that because He first loved me. Seems to me that everything I do should be because He loves me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Christian morality? That confuses me.
                  Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Because I trust our Creator to know what He is speaking of when He gives us instructions on how to have the "Abundant Life" in the universe that He created. Who is more qualified to write the owner's manual than the designer?
                    ----------------------------------------------
                    When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                      Christian morality? That confuses me.
                      Christians aren't the only ones who go to church, give their money, feed the poor, don't drink, smoke, chew or date girls who do. Their not the only ones who vote republican, don't go to R rated movies, don't cuss, love their neighbors, treat their wives and kids great.

                      What's the difference between what motivates a Christian and any other person to be moral?


                      Many, many people believe that if they do those things they will go to heaven when they die. Therefore their motivation is exactly the same as several who posted judgment as their motivating factor or fear of God.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Literalist-Luke View Post
                        Because I trust our Creator to know what He is speaking of when He gives us instructions on how to have the "Abundant Life" in the universe that He created. Who is more qualified to write the owner's manual than the designer?

                        I whole heartedly agree but is that any different than a Mormon, JW, or Muslim?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                          What's your? I mean what motivates you to be good; follow biblical commandments?
                          Well the answer should be "God" for all believers. There is nothing within the flesh which is good, thus it should no longer be us living, but instead Christ living through us.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                            Christians aren't the only ones who go to church, give their money, feed the poor, don't drink, smoke, chew or date girls who do. Their not the only ones who vote republican, don't go to R rated movies, don't cuss, love their neighbors, treat their wives and kids great.

                            What's the difference between what motivates a Christian and any other person to be moral?


                            Many, many people believe that if they do those things they will go to heaven when they die. Therefore their motivation is exactly the same as several who posted judgment as their motivating factor or fear of God.
                            With one glaring omission
                            So far, you haven't indicated what sets Christians apart for God's use only.

                            Fear of God is understanding His soverignty and obeying Him because He IS our King. What's so difficult about that concept? I'm already saved, so 'getting to heaven' isn't a motivation at all with me.
                            Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                              With one glaring omission
                              So far, you haven't indicated what sets Christians apart for God's use only.

                              Fear of God is understanding His soverignty and obeying Him because He IS our King. What's so difficult about that concept? I'm already saved, so 'getting to heaven' isn't a motivation at all with me.

                              But.........wouldn't a Muslim say that his fear of God (Allah) because he understood his sovreignty and obeying him because he was king say that was his motivation?

                              Can you tell the difference between Christians and other moral people by their actions if you didn't know they were Christians?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X