Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT Opinions

... The single most practiced mistake I see perpetuated is the seeking of another's "opinion" of what a given scripture means. Often, the folks answering will give exactly what they are asked for, an opinion. The Bible is the very Word of God, used of men and preserved by The Omnipotent God and the single best commentary on the Bible is the Bible. God did not ask any of us for our opinion when He dictated the scriptures to the listed secretaries that penned them. (Rom. 2:11) And how can man ever hope for any level of understanding of God without ongoing study of the scriptures to show him or herself approved.
    ... To the young in Christ, never listen to anyone that is not giving you scripture address for the things they say and when they do, be like the Bereans and make sure they have not misused the scripture, it only takes a minute or two to read the paragraph or the chapter to see what the context is.

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
    ... The single most practiced mistake I see perpetuated is the seeking of another's "opinion" of what a given scripture means. Often, the folks answering will give exactly what they are asked for, an opinion. The Bible is the very Word of God, used of men and preserved by The Omnipotent God and the single best commentary on the Bible is the Bible. God did not ask any of us for our opinion when He dictated the scriptures to the listed secretaries that penned them. (Rom. 2:11) And how can man ever hope for any level of understanding of God without ongoing study of the scriptures to show him or herself approved.
    ... To the young in Christ, never listen to anyone that is not giving you scripture address for the things they say and when they do, be like the Bereans and make sure they have not misused the scripture, it only takes a minute or two to read the paragraph or the chapter to see what the context is.
    I try to always say "in my opinion" when giving it.

I agree with what you say, i think new Christians should read the NT first before even seeking an opinion on something so the have a knowledge of what is biblical and whats not. I had to do that as a former catholic as i trusted no one because of my former religous teaching wich were unbiblical.

Tradition and men do not have the answers the word of God does. In my opinion lol

Comment

Good advice th1bill.
      I would only add that every Christian should check another's opinion of scripture.
      Using scripture itself as the main comparison tool, and do this in prayer asking for wisdom and guidance.
      Whether they are 'new' ,'young', 'old' or whatever in Christ.
      "Love is not about you...and it never was"
      "Selfishness is inwardly focused, but Love is Always outwardly focused!"

I am very anti-abortion, anti-murder, and Pro-Love.
      Gotta stop repeating myself...

Stop Marfan - The Silent but deadly killer.
      It's main weapon is lack of truth.
      Please learn the truth about the Marfan syndrome
      by visiting The National Marfan Foundation.
      Feel free to ask me any questions you may have
      about the Marfan syndrome and I will answer them
      the best I can.

Comment

Sounds like good advice.
        ----------------------------------------------
        When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

Well praise His name. Thank you for the MUCH encouraging word. God wants us to continually renew ourselves in The Word.
          "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." (Romans 12:2)
          I'm Sara
          "Jesus wept." John 11:35
          Praying for my sister Mieke.
          sigpic

Comment

Many thanks to each of you for the encouragement to those that are learning. And I do agree that a Christian that has been five years in the faith should be grounded in the Word, the sad truth is that most are not. After my first five years in the faith, three of those teaching Primaries, I was voted to lead the Men's Sunday Evening Study. I was often called down by two deacons, both better than twenty years in the faith and I had to take them to the scriptures in their own Bibles for them to see that they were not correct. I have, from that point done my best to point the babes in Christ to put their noses in the Bible for ten or fifteen minutes, every day.

I was lucky, our LORD gave me fifteen very curious 6, 7 and eight year olds that wanted an answer by next Sunday, they made me learn or fail.

Comment

Amen Bill. God's Word is the FINAL authority...and should be read and studied closely, carefully, and prayerfully.

Comment

Bill - you know you are a man i greatly respect, although we don't agree on everything. You are one of the members here who encouraged my already urgent need to be daily in the Word of God.

The key is as you say God's Will through his Word. If a person even quotes scripture - you must personally look it up and seek the complete context. Daily being in the Word makes this easier.

Many times i have read your posts and it is clear to all that the Holy Spirit is working daily through you. I am pleased to say many good things about you, that are true, because i also know you are humble. God bless.

BIG SofTy The Servant of Truth.
                1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Originally posted by ServantofTruth View Post
                  Bill - you know you are a man i greatly respect, although we don't agree on everything. You are one of the members here who encouraged my already urgent need to be daily in the Word of God.

The key is as you say God's Will through his Word. If a person even quotes scripture - you must personally look it up and seek the complete context. Daily being in the Word makes this easier.

Many times i have read your posts and it is clear to all that the Holy Spirit is working daily through you. I am pleased to say many good things about you, that are true, because i also know you are humble. God bless.

BIG SofTy The Servant of Truth.
                  I really do hate it but like all men I'm prone to wander. I did that recently and I did not pay attention to the Spirit and I made a really bad mistake as a result of that, right here on this forum.

I would suggest to any of you that love the Word of God to download an mp3 copy of the scriptures from firefighters.org and you can study the Word of God just as it was in the beginning, orally. I just finished designing a set of disks (2) and have printed them with Lightscribe labeling so that theey will play on the new radio/CD players without hanging up. My pastor has the first two disks, the Old and the New Testaments, checking them out for a possible church give away. The KJV only folks will even approve because it is the KJV. It's much clearer when you here it instead of reading it.

Comment

That's really good advise, even for the not-so-young in Christ. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

I agree with you! And I have been guilty, at times, of not providing scripture references. Thanks for the reminder. I would be so bold as to add to what you said by saying that sometimes identifying the translation is also helpful.
                      It is easy in ones haste to respond to offer opinion about, and perceptions of, what one thinks and believes without rechecking the Word. However, it is also sometimes helpful to offer ones opinion in order to stimulate further conversation and exploration.
                      I especially liked you comment about the ongoing study, Ive found over the years that scripture speaks to me in different ways relevant to where I am in my ongoing relationship with Christ. It is my experience that scripture is alive - dynamic ever able to meet my changing needs and understanding. It is about more than the literal meanings of words on paper, it is the stuff of Spirit I need the continual nourishment of our teacher, the Holy Spirit, working within me, in and through the Word.
                      Thank you for your post.

Comment

Thanks again. I also posted this item in the same form, exactly, on a Catholic forum, you would not believe the drive to distort what I said.

Comment

You would not believe the drive to distort what I said.
                          Actually, I would not be the least bit surprised.
                          ----------------------------------------------
                          When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

i appreciate what you are saying but is it not the case that individuals can interpret scripture differently? you may have a different understanding of scripture to that of someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by givemegrace View Post
                              i appreciate what you are saying but is it not the case that individuals can interpret scripture differently? you may have a different understanding of scripture to that of someone else?
                              Context is a great tool for understanding scripture. Too many times you'll see someone quote a passage ("I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me") for a purpose that takes it outside or beyond its context. However, context is hardly the only tool necessary to fully understand some scripture:

1) Parallel passages. Many bibles include these, which take you to passages with the same basic message.

2) Cultural context. Too many times, we assume our culture's built-in biases when reading scripture. For instance, Romans 3:16: "Because you are not hot or cold, I will spew you from my mouth". We see hot and cold as opposites, and thus, we tend to see Christ meaning "good or evil" by the terms. However, the truth is that the passage is talking about unpurified water (as the culture would have), and cold/hot water have the same property: purity. Lukewarm water is stagnant, bacteria-ridden and potentially dangerous to drink. In the proper context, "hot/cold" is the opposite of lukewarm - pure vs. impure.

3) Exegesis vs. eisegesis. We should be reading meaning out of the scriptures, not reading meaning into them. It is possible to justify all sorts of theologies by assuming their truth and finding biblical support; such a view rarely takes context or any other solid interpretive methods properly.

4) Ambiguity. We often have a hard time with this; we want God to be absolutely clear on something, but the bible doesn't make it absolutely clear. The wrong thing to do is to try and "fill in" the missing pieces; God uses ambiguity the same way He uses clarity; for His purposes. If God is ambiguous on a topic, then don't be dogmatic about it.

5) Genre. There are mutiple genres in scripture: narrative, poetry, song, wisdom, prophecy, etc. It is important to read each genre in an appropriate way. For instance, it would be wrong to read Proverbs in the same way you read Leviticus; the former are guides, the latter are laws. Don't read Isaiah the same way you would read Judges.

Comment

Working...
                              X