Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing the Race

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Discussion Finishing the Race

    Does every believer have a race to finish?


    What does this race consist of?
    I believe it consist of the following stages:
    1.Salvation- knowing that you have to run a race
    2.Discipleship- training for the race
    3.Stewardship- running the race required of you
    4.Eldership- Just about to finish your personal race


    All believers have their own race. What are the elements of the race?
    The elements of the race are:
    1.A specific assigned location- the specific congregation a person is required to abide in.

    2.A specific discipleship- a person is required to be train in both truth and character before serving. They should be mentored and held accountable for progressing in both.

    3.A specific function- a person should learn what their creative intent is and seek to be qaulified in that arena.

    4.A specific office- a person should seek their spot within the body of Christ where they advance the great commission and edify the Body of Christ.

    5.A specific destiny- a person should know something regarding their end


    Here are some deeper explanations.
    God requires a particular creative purpose and intent for us to knowingly qualify for and fulfill.

    Creative purpose because God does not allow anything to exist without a purpose.

    Creative intent because God places demands on the objects He produced to serve His ends. He does this with our knowledge and cooperation, and without our knowledge and cooperation.

    Knowingly, because God wants to communion and fellowship within the labors He requires of us. God wants to be yoked side by side in an intimate and personal relationship that includes the exchanging of conversation, sharing of emotions, and manifestation of presence.

    Qualify, because God wants a transformation of character in addition to the knowledge of truth working in the lives of His people who go forth to fulfill their called office and function.

    Fulfill, because God wants us to finish the work we have set our hand to the plow to do. We are required to seek our purpose in our discipleship. Then after training, we all walk in particular ministry.

    To conclude, if every believer has a race, then why are we not running our personal marathons. If we are running, then what race are we running in.
    11
    No race required
    9.09%
    1
    Yes, there is a personal race
    90.91%
    10
    No, there is only a collective race
    0.00%
    0
    I do not know
    0.00%
    0
    Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

    www.woc-church.org

  • #2
    for me it's a journey to travel with lots of ups and downs. on the road my relationship with Jesus has grown but there have been times my faith has been weak but when i look back at where i have come from i know i have come far with the help of Jesus and i know that i am heading towards His plan for my life.......... its often hard to stay on the right path but thank The Lord He never gives up on me and is always by my side..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by manichunter View Post
      To conclude, if every believer has a race, then why are we not running our personal marathons. If we are running, then what race are we running in.
      I don't understand the questions. Do you mean "we" as a whole? The whole church?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Joey Porter View Post
        I don't understand the questions. Do you mean "we" as a whole? The whole church?

        I just included myself. However, I mean individually, do we all have a race. I do not want to exclude myself regarding this demand and obligation.
        Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

        www.woc-church.org

        Comment


        • #5
          " 1.A specific assigned location- the specific congregation a person is required to abide in."

          I'm sure you don't mean to, but you come across kinda legalistic - as though we are under the law.

          I don't believe that God has an "assigned location" for me. If He does, He hasn't shared it with me. Where in the Bible do you find the idea that a person is "required" to abide in some specific congregation?

          " 4.A specific office- a person should seek their spot within the body of Christ"

          Maybe they should, but do you believe that they should be motivated to be so by "shoulds" or "the law"?

          Comment


          • #6
            A race implies competition. I whom are you in competition with? I am not in a race I'm on a journey. Yep had some detours. There's been a few wrecks. I've gone round and round only to find I had gone anywhere in a long time. Been up hill; been down. Got stuck in the mud and skidded on some ice. The problem though is that Jesus is the finish line. Not death. Not heaven. Not some level of maturity. Jesus. Man, "there's something about that name."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mikebr View Post
              A race implies competition. I whom are you in competition with? I am not in a race I'm on a journey. Yep had some detours. There's been a few wrecks. I've gone round and round only to find I had gone anywhere in a long time. Been up hill; been down. Got stuck in the mud and skidded on some ice. The problem though is that Jesus is the finish line. Not death. Not heaven. Not some level of maturity. Jesus. Man, "there's something about that name."
              Just keep running man, just keep running for that prize.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
                Just keep running man, just keep running for that prize.

                In the words of Peter, where else can we go.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Manic,

                  I actually like this sort of stuff. It's interesting to me and I think there's something to it. I think the way you laid it out works for some, maybe not as much for others. I do believe that we all have a personal race to run. Someone mentioned that it seemed legalistic. To me it just has a lot of "rules" or boundaries. We can't put God in a box. He's a BIG God. I believe God has spoken to me like this: These are your talents. These are your gifts. This is your calling. I'll be with you all the time...you can call on Me whenever you want. Now be creative and make it happen. In other words, I feel that instead of putting me in a box and saying "carry out your calling within this box...do exactly A, B, and C...and don't dare try to do X, Y, and Z...that's not within your office or position"...instead He has said, "get OUT of the box and go make it happen!" He has led me into green pastures.

                  So, while I agree totally with the fact that we each have a calling and SPECIFIC gifts, and a SPECIFIC function within the Body...I believe He gives us creative freedom to carry that out. I think that's where people maybe feel limited by what you proposed. It feels like you're "locking people in" to EXACTLY what they should be doing...down to an exact science. I agree totally with the general framework of your post...but, God is leading us out into the open pastures. Still being led by Him all the way...and the freedom cannot be mistaken for "I can do anything I want", but it's freedom from an exhaustive list of rules...or as someone said, "the law".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SweetSomber View Post
                    " 1.A specific assigned location- the specific congregation a person is required to abide in."

                    I'm sure you don't mean to, but you come across kinda legalistic - as though we are under the law.

                    I don't believe that God has an "assigned location" for me. If He does, He hasn't shared it with me. Where in the Bible do you find the idea that a person is "required" to abide in some specific congregation?

                    " 4.A specific office- a person should seek their spot within the body of Christ"

                    Maybe they should, but do you believe that they should be motivated to be so by "shoulds" or "the law"?
                    What is the opposite of religious legalism?

                    What is the middle ground between legalism and its opposite?

                    Why can't it simply be based on God's demand of sincere and honest obedience based on love in regards to the expectations within the covenant and the definitions of communion?

                    People run and fear things just based on certain buzz words. Our personas are just rife with certain terrors. I hear, I do not want to be controlled, under in any supervision, I want to be free, there is room for my will along side of God's will, the picking up my own cross is optional, and liberty has no definition most of the time when people speak of legalism.
                    Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

                    www.woc-church.org

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I should follow up my last post with something else: I think the "specific-ness" of our race is good in the sense that it keeps us focused. If we focus on the freedom too much, then it's easy to start getting sidetracked from our race. We definitely need to know our race...so that we can stick to it and run it with effectiveness and without being derailed by a multitude of distractions.

                      I guess where I didn't agree as much...is the idea that we need to be in an EXACT location, EXACT this, or EXACT that. Sure, God can be EXACT in what He tells us to do...but, He also leaves room for creativity as well...and leaves us some choices. I really think He does...otherwise we'd be robots. I think God takes us on an adventure of sorts...quite the opposite of robotic.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by merjorg View Post
                        I should follow up my last post with something else: I think the "specific-ness" of our race is good in the sense that it keeps us focused. If we focus on the freedom too much, then it's easy to start getting sidetracked from our race. We definitely need to know our race...so that we can stick to it and run it with effectiveness and without being derailed by a multitude of distractions.

                        I guess where I didn't agree as much...is the idea that we need to be in an EXACT location, EXACT this, or EXACT that. Sure, God can be EXACT in what He tells us to do...but, He also leaves room for creativity as well...and leaves us some choices. I really think He does...otherwise we'd be robots. I think God takes us on an adventure of sorts...quite the opposite of robotic.
                        You are not a robot. You are a body part. A body part has to be exact in its location, function, and purpose. It is not free to do as it wishes because the rest of the body depends on it. You have been bought with a price. Who said you were free. You are free in the Spirit. That is not the same as free in our carnality. We are free to mortify our carnality. Noah was not free to build the ark according to his creativity. Paul was free to create his own travel plans within the works of his ministry. We mean to much about being free. Carnality has had its way into our freedom.
                        Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

                        www.woc-church.org

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by manichunter View Post
                          You are not a robot. You are a body part. A body part has to be exact in its location, function, and purpose. It is not free to do as it wishes because the rest of the body depends on it. You have been bought with a price. Who said you were free. You are free in the Spirit. That is not the same as free in our carnality. We are free to mortify our carnality. Noah was not free to build the ark according to his creativity. Paul was free to create his own travel plans within the works of his ministry. We mean to much about being free. Carnality has had its way into our freedom.
                          Maybe you're right. I can't argue that we don't have a specific function because we do. I've been reading some C.S. Lewis lately...and I guess I'm trying to say it like this: C.S. Lewis might very well have had a commission to write things that would help people and encourage people in their faith for generations to come. If that was his calling, then he had to run that race and he had to be in that part of the body. But, didn't he have some freedom in how he wrote? What time of day he wrote? Whether he wrote in a park on Sunday morning or in his loft or while on vacation? How he structured his books or how he laid out the chapters? If he had 3 ideas for a new book, didn't he have the freedom to choose which one he would start on next and which one he would put off?

                          I guess it could be said that if we're walking close to the Lord that our steps are ordered by Him, but do you see where I'm coming from? I totally agree that we each have a specific calling and a specific place in the body, but do we actually make any decisions within that calling? I mean, you used the analogy of a body part having to be in a specific place. Let's say I'm the knee. For the most part, my job is to connect the upper leg with the lower leg and to allow for flexibility. And I should focus on that and my life should operate within that function. But, sometimes I can also help the body pivot to the left or stop on a dime and jump really high. If I'm the eye, sometimes I open really big and let light in when I'm surprised, sometimes I close shop altogether and go to sleep, sometimes I cry, sometimes I get irritated by the wind and decide that I should stay indoors. So, we all have our spots in the body...we all have our race...but, the list of things we can do within that calling is perhaps bigger than we think.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by merjorg View Post
                            Maybe you're right. I can't argue that we don't have a specific function because we do. I've been reading some C.S. Lewis lately...and I guess I'm trying to say it like this: C.S. Lewis might very well have had a commission to write things that would help people and encourage people in their faith for generations to come. If that was his calling, then he had to run that race and he had to be in that part of the body. But, didn't he have some freedom in how he wrote? What time of day he wrote? Whether he wrote in a park on Sunday morning or in his loft or while on vacation? How he structured his books or how he laid out the chapters? If he had 3 ideas for a new book, didn't he have the freedom to choose which one he would start on next and which one he would put off?

                            I guess it could be said that if we're walking close to the Lord that our steps are ordered by Him, but do you see where I'm coming from? I totally agree that we each have a specific calling and a specific place in the body, but do we actually make any decisions within that calling? I mean, you used the analogy of a body part having to be in a specific place. Let's say I'm the knee. For the most part, my job is connect the upper leg with the lower leg and to allow for flexibility. But, sometimes I can also help the body pivot to the left or stop on a dime and jump really high. If I'm the eye, sometimes I open really big and let light in when I'm surprised, sometimes I close shop altogether and go to sleep, sometimes I cry, sometimes I get irritated by the wind and decide that I should stay indoors. So, we all have our spots in the body...we all have our race...but, the list of things we can do within that calling is perhaps bigger than we think.
                            Yes kind sir, we agree in love. Our creativity does have a part, however, even that has to be inspired by the Holy Spirit. A mystery that would take another thread. Where is PETER. Is he off today...........
                            Edify the brethren, love the brethren, and forgive the brethren until I have nothing left.

                            www.woc-church.org

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by manichunter View Post
                              Yes kind sir, we agree in love. Our creativity does have a part, however, even that has to be inspired by the Holy Spirit. A mystery that would take another thread. Where is PETER. Is he off today...........
                              Thanks for the positive spirit. Hope I wasn't argumentative. I enjoy discussing the very thing that you talked about in your original post...as well as the issues in some of your recent threads. We're thinking along the same lines...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X