No announcement yet.

Leaving the charismatic movement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: Leaving the charismatic movement?

I know I'm opening a can of worms here. I am thinking of leaving the charismatic movement and am looking for either encouragement or admonishment...

If you have left the charismatic movement...why? Where did you go (denominationally)? Do you still believe in speaking in tongues/prophecy/healing/slain in the spirit, etc? Do you think the charismatic movement today is different than it was, say 20 years ago?

I'm open to hearing all views right now (just, please, no denomination bashing).

I'm not going to tell you that you should leave a charismatic church. (Even though I attend a Baptist church and there isn't much speaking in tongues there. ) There are people that are charismatic that I respect and I know are definitely saved. My problem with some (not all, please understand that) self-proclaimed charismatic churches are that they focus on feelings very heavily.

Please though, don't leave your charismatic church so quickly. Examine why you are thinking about leaving and decide for yourself if it is a valid reason. For example if someone did something you didn't agree with or something like that then it's probably better to stay. Then, find some churches in your area and weigh out what they teach with what the Bible says. If you disagree with something a pastor has said, as a brother in Christ you are justified and going and asking him what he meant by his statement.

So basically..

Find out why you are leaving, visit multiple choices, don't rush to a decision, and above all pray for guidance often. It isn't ever easy leaving a church, so I understand where you are coming from.

Comment

Thanks. I'm not rushing. It's not over anything personal or a particular sermon. More over the direction I think this particular church and a lot of other charismatic churches are heading. Also uncertainty as to my beliefs on a couple issues.

Comment

I left a charismatic church for a strong Pentecostal church. Yes, I still believe very much in speaking in tongues, etc.

I was searching for a Pentecostal church when I fell right in the lap of a charismatic church. At the time, I didn't realize there was a difference between the two, but I had enough discernment to know what I experienced at the charismatic church was not Christ-honoring, nor was it biblical.

I've been at the Pentecostal church for well over a year now and have been very happy.

Here is a great article on the difference between Pentecostalism and the charismatic movement:

http://www.actsion.com/NOTchar-I.htm

It is long but worth the read!
        My Blog

Comment

See, that's the problem when you associate yourselves with denominations, churches and movements rather than Christ. DeadtoSin had good advice, I'd follow it if I were in your position.

Comment

AMEN! What he said...
            For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
              See, that's the problem when you associate yourselves with denominations, churches and movements rather than Christ.
              I agree with you, but the question is more than just saying "I belong to such and such denomination." I feel that Christian fellowship and church attendance is important (although I'm open to hearing from any non-churched persons on the board) and the fact is that churches are divided into denominations and each denomination tends to have a certain "flavor" to it; acknowledging, of course, that each congregation is going to be different due to the dynamics of those who lead and attend there.

I actually love the church I am attending right now. It is very friendly and fun. My girls love the Sunday School program. I love the music and have friends there. The preacher, until recently, has been preaching hard-hitting sermons that were just what I needed to hear. That is why this is a tough question for me. Why I'm even thinking of going is that I'm starting to not like the direction the church is heading in...seeking more after signs and wonders and listening to those who preach about experiences and manifestations and promote Dominion/Kingdom Now Theology. But, it is not just my church. I'm finding that most charismatic/non-denom churches (at least all the ones within a reasonable drive of my house) are also following this direction. Hence my quandry about leaving the charismatic movement altogether. It is a bit of a mini crisis-of-faith over what I believe regarding tongues, prophecy, etc.

Comment

Obviously I don't know what your church is like but I personally disagree with some teachings I've seen in the charismatic environments, especially the word/faith "name it and claim it" mentality.

Speaking in tongues is a gift of the holy spirit that only SOME possess. Don't let anyone tell you that your faith is weak or your somehow deficient (or worse yet not saved) if you do not have such a gift. I'm guessing that might be the reason you are questioning your current church.

As some others have said, I would look for a non-denominational bible based church that doesn't focus on a few dogmatic ideas but rather teaches the entire gospel of Jesus Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAnteater View Post

Speaking in tongues is a gift of the holy spirit that only SOME possess. Don't let anyone tell you that your faith is weak or your somehow deficient (or worse yet not saved) if you do not have such a gift. I'm guessing that might be the reason you are questioning your current church.
                  Ironically, that is the one issue that keep coming back to for entirely the opposite reason. You see, I first gave my heart to Jesus at age 5. On that very day, at that very moment, I received the gift of speaking in tongues. At that time, I didn't know what it was and my parents were not even involved in the charismatic movement at that time.

Now, there are those who say that speaking in tongues is just babble or even occult. But what happened to me at age 5 causes me to believe that speaking in tongues is real. I mean, we were attending a Congregational church at that time...it's not like I had heard someone else do it and was trying to imitate them. But when our family did start getting involved in charismania, I did hear lots and lots and lots of speaking in tongues with/without interpretation during services that just seemed odd, wrong, and downright fake to me, even as a young child.

So right now, I use my "tongues" only in private prayer. I never use it when praying for someone else and certainly not as some kind of prophetic uttering. So...I'm I "stifling the spirit" or "still engaged in the occult" for this?

As for your comment about people saying my faith is weak...I get that a lot because God has never healed me of my epilepsy. ( <-- sad smilie because people have the gall to tell me this, not because God has chosen to use my weakness so that he can be strong).

Comment

I found out just recently through the net, that not all charismatic churches are word of faith..the name it claim idea.

SpokenFor..I am nonchurched as you mentioned..though I was attending a church and a member for a number of years...long story short we just weren't welcomed there. I am a single mother and my son has ADHD and a learning disability...sitting in a church service was very difficult for him especially when the sermons are geared for adults not children...though they did have a short children's sermon he enjoy...the rest of the time though he struggled with alot of boredom. It finally came down to him hating church so much I was afraid it would transfer to hating God... Plus...many other issues too. So we stopped going...of course I prayed alot over this! It was a painful experience. Before this church we visited some others...single parents don't fit in well OR their doctrines were something I just couldn't swallow. Its not just charismatic churches that are possibly going in some bad directions..many churches are.

I miss going to church...my son doesn't..I keep praying I can find one more child friendly...and that isn't corrupted...

What to follow in deciding if ANYTHING is going on that shouldn't be..if its not in the bible and makes sense IN content...its not from God. period. I see too many picking single verses out of content then building a whole doctrine from it...that isn't right and its actually abusing God's Word. I wouldn't want to be those people on judgment day!

Pray about this...pray hard and let the Lord lead you in the right direction.

God bless
                    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

SpokenFor..I am nonchurched as you mentioned..though I was attending a church and a member for a number of years...long story short we just weren't welcomed there. I am a single mother and my son has ADHD and a learning disability...sitting in a church service was very difficult for him especially when the sermons are geared for adults not children...though they did have a short children's sermon he enjoy...the rest of the time though he struggled with alot of boredom. It finally came down to him hating church so much I was afraid it would transfer to hating God... Plus...many other issues too. So we stopped going...of course I prayed alot over this! It was a painful experience. Before this church we visited some others...single parents don't fit in well OR their doctrines were something I just couldn't swallow. Its not just charismatic churches that are possibly going in some bad directions..many churches are.
                      I doubt anyone would even notice his behavior at my church...
                      For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
                        Pray about this...pray hard and let the Lord lead you in the right direction.

God bless
                        That I am doing. Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear your reason for leaving. ((Hugs)) to you and your son. I have a daughter with special needs, too. Although I am not a single mom, I attend church as one since my husband is not a Christian. I understand the looks you get when your child is not "behaving". I will be praying for you, too, that you will find a loving fellowship where you and your son can be included.

So, do you listen to sermons on youtube/sermonaudio for "church" or just read your Bible yourself ???

Comment

Originally posted by SpokenFor View Post
                          I know I'm opening a can of worms here. I am thinking of leaving the charismatic movement and am looking for either encouragement or admonishment...

And tell me what's so wrong with that??

"If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
                          Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
                          And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:1-13)

I've found many "charismatic churches" are more focused on these gifts than the very love that saved them and gave them life. That's not to say all charismatic churches are bad. I've just found one has to watch very carefully for what the leaders are teaching and its members are believing.

I really like the church I'm in now... it's a church of 'love' and 'compassion'. If it had one mission, it would be to reach those who are hurting. That right there to me is a church of the Lord. They don't hinder spiritual gifts - they encourage them IF God wills you to have them; which is quite a contrast from some churches that say "you MUST speak in tongues to be saved", blah blah blah. What a heresy!

I'm hoping all goes well for you, brother.

Jesus please help this friend of mine find a good church that displays your love magnified a thousand times over. Let him find encouragement and love, in Jesus' Name, Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by JesusMySavior View Post
                            I'm hoping all goes well for you, brother.

Jesus please help this friend of mine find a good church that displays your love magnified a thousand times over. Let him find encouragement and love, in Jesus' Name, Amen.

I'm a sister. Thanks for the prayer and your thoughts. Your church sounds great. So does your band, BTW. A little Dead Kennedy's influence?

Comment

wow, what a experience with GOd ..at age 5 speaking in tongues...amazing GOd we serve.

I go to a pentecoastal church..assmebly of God.
                              I had never seen anything like it when I first went ...It amazed me..and frightened me also. But, God showed me in bible and soon God touched me..I thought that they put drugs on me...I feel out in spirit ..heard children speaking in tongues..(at this time i had never heard this..I had been there maybe 4 times..off and on...and this sunday the LORd lead me to alter..and wow..did it ever change me..)

when you feel the spirit of the LORd move on you and through you..it is so life changing. It moved my faith to belive so strongly..and for a while I was addicted to wanting to feel him..
                              But, as GOd matured me ..cause there are dry seasons that come..I learned we can not go by these experiences..yes, being filled and renewed is such a vital part..for me it is..but knowing the truth and being set free because of it..and studying the word ..living it by faith..well, this is so vital also..

I know that makes no sense..sorry.
                              but, what I was intending on saying is this..
                              I am leaving my church also...the pastor is accepting homosexuals lifestyle and do what you want kind of preaching movement..
                              I want to be where word is being preached. the Truth. But not denying the power..know what I mean.

It is hard. But, I pray that GOd lead you to where you are suppose to be,....if it be there or somewhere else ..that you know that you know that is the will of God for you at this time in your life..
                              we must beware casue many false prophets are out there decieving many. we must rely on God and not lose hope in serving Christ wihtin a body of belivers because of a few evil doers..

Comment

Working...
                              X